Silsbee vs Argyle 4A State Semi Final

I said this last week:

There always seems to be a team (recently) that this style just doesn't work against.  I personally thing that the SeTx staple of (run em into the ground) is a thing of the past when it comes to winning it all.  It's been a decade or so since all you had to do was scare a team into turning it over and win a state championship.  I'm not saying Silsbee isn't good enough to win it all...or that they won't.  I'm just saying that there will come a time in the season where they'll have to play basketball and not press a team into oblivion. 

We will see if I'm correct or not.  It's looking to me like Silsbee will have to pull out their half court game.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

I said this last week:

There always seems to be a team (recently) that this style just doesn't work against.  I personally thing that the SeTx staple of (run em into the ground) is a thing of the past when it comes to winning it all.  It's been a decade or so since all you had to do was scare a team into turning it over and win a state championship.  I'm not saying Silsbee isn't good enough to win it all...or that they won't.  I'm just saying that there will come a time in the season where they'll have to play basketball and not press a team into oblivion. 

We will see if I'm correct or not.  It's looking to me like Silsbee will have to pull out their half court game.

Not press them into oblivion but press them to a nice 15 point win.  With Silsbee's personnel you go tight full court man to man with impromptu traps.  Then full speed transition on offense.  With this group that's the path to victory against all 4A comers.  It's the best route against everybody, big kids, little kids, kids that climb on rocks as the old Oscar Meyer song went and yes, even kids with chicken pox.  Now if a tall 6A team gets accidentally thrown in against these 4A schools then yea, we'll have to rethink.

21 hours ago, WO-S 89 said:

Noticed where Argyle lost to 1A Lipan 47-42 this year, Lipan must be pretty dang good. 

Lipans starting lineup is: 5-10, 6-2, 6-5, 6-7, 6-7.

Add that with the fact that they are known to a fundamental basketball style team. Crazier stat is that Brock is just as tall and is 10 miles up the road. The two could merge not change divisions. 

1 hour ago, RaiderRed30 said:

Lipans starting lineup is: 5-10, 6-2, 6-5, 6-7, 6-7.

Add that with the fact that they are known to a fundamental basketball style team. Crazier stat is that Brock is just as tall and is 10 miles up the road. The two could merge not change divisions. 

Lipan beat kountze. By 9.  They are good but not silsbee good....  

I think silsbee is there again they know that their is no Dallas Lincoln in their way and they won't underestimate argyle but they want this title bad and its there for them they just need to play lights out and force the tempo try to get to 100 points with the starters in the game till the end score score score argyle isn't there by accident but to me this title should belong to the tigers let's go get it tigers.

Does anyone know what Argyle's depth is like? May not be able to run them into the ground, but maybe get them in foul trouble going to the hoop in the half court. Silsbee has GOT to make some free throws to win it. Especially in a game where possessions will be at a premium. Every year year they struggle with free throws you think they would have figured it out by now.

We definitely need to shoot our free throws better this weekend.  We have done that at times this year.  As far as Argyles depth,  I don't know, but if they play their game that won't matter much.  We need to dictate the pace force them out of their game.  Hit the boards and play great on the defensive end.

I was at the regional tournament in Commerce and I can tell you that Argyle was in no way the best team in the tournament. If it had not been for the Dallas chapter of refs, Center would have beaten them maybe by double digits. Watch #5 push off every time he dribbles with someone on him. I watched it happen in two games and it never got called. Granted, they took Paris out of their game and would have probably beaten them without the refs, but they could not have beaten Center without their help. Hope you have good refs in the state tournament. Good luck.

2 hours ago, rider78 said:

I was at the regional tournament in Commerce and I can tell you that Argyle was in no way the best team in the tournament. If it had not been for the Dallas chapter of refs, Center would have beaten them maybe by double digits. Watch #5 push off every time he dribbles with someone on him. I watched it happen in two games and it never got called. Granted, they took Paris out of their game and would have probably beaten them without the refs, but they could not have beaten Center without their help. Hope you have good refs in the state tournament. Good luck.

Seriously?  Come on man

21 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Seriously?  Come on man

I'll say this...those refs did seem to turn a blind eye to a lot of things argyle did....in both games. Argyle was by far the least athletic team in commerce. But on the flipside, they were by far the most disciplined. As far as depth, they played about an 8 man rotation. Their PG, #3, Nathan Priddy, is their guy. He can dribble, shoot, and pass. They run their offense like a well oiled machine. Don't look for them to make many careless mistakes. They will set screens and pass and screen some more until they find the shot they want. They're not going to rush shots. They are excellent at blocking out for rebounds. And they have a knack for finishing around the goal. They're just a fundamentally sound team. 

6 minutes ago, Fighting Llama said:

I'll say this...those refs did seem to turn a blind eye to a lot of things argyle did....in both games. Argyle was by far the least athletic team in commerce. But on the flipside, they were by far the most disciplined. As far as depth, they played about an 8 man rotation. Their PG, #3, Nathan Priddy, is their guy. He can dribble, shoot, and pass. They run their offense like a well oiled machine. Don't look for them to make many careless mistakes. They will set screens and pass and screen some more until they find the shot they want. They're not going to rush shots. They are excellent at blocking out for rebounds. And they have a knack for finishing around the goal. They're just a fundamentally sound team. 

Well, which team are they?  Are they the team at Commerce that got away with a lot of mistakes  "those refs did seem to turn a blind eye to a lot of things argyle did" or are they a team that people need to "Don't look for them to make many careless mistakes."?  Because now I'm confused.

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Well, which team are they?  Are they the team at Commerce that got away with a lot of mistakes  "those refs did seem to turn a blind eye to a lot of things argyle did" or are they a team that people need to "Don't look for them to make many careless mistakes."?  Because now I'm confused.

Its because you're trying to be confused. ...which makes you look ignorant. They're not going to be careless and play a sloppy game. I never said they got away with mistakes. Its not a mistake if you're not called for it, right? As rider78 stated, their guards push off alot...#5 more so than #3. But they do it in a way that is very subtle. Its not that eye popping, without a doubt, full extension push off that leaves the defender off balance and awkward looking. One thing they were called for multiple times, though, was a moving screen. I bet they had 5 or 6 of those calls go against them...which, I would say probably isn't too terribly bad given the number of screens they set.

I hope silsbee wins. Some folks asked for opinions on argyle, so that's what I offered. I would venture to say they will likely be the least athletic team in San Antonio this weekend. But they don't win with athleticism. They win with discipline. 

Good luck

27 minutes ago, Fighting Llama said:

Its because you're trying to be confused. ...which makes you look ignorant. They're not going to be careless and play a sloppy game. I never said they got away with mistakes. Its not a mistake if you're not called for it, right? As rider78 stated, their guards push off alot...#5 more so than #3. But they do it in a way that is very subtle. Its not that eye popping, without a doubt, full extension push off that leaves the defender off balance and awkward looking. One thing they were called for multiple times, though, was a moving screen. I bet they had 5 or 6 of those calls go against them...which, I would say probably isn't too terribly bad given the number of screens they set.

I hope silsbee wins. Some folks asked for opinions on argyle, so that's what I offered. I would venture to say they will likely be the least athletic team in San Antonio this weekend. But they don't win with athleticism. They win with discipline. 

Good luck

When I said I was confused it was sarcasm.  I do that.  The reason I did it this time was because your statement contradicted itself.  A ref turning a blind eye to something implies that a violation occurred but the ref chose not to act on it.  Pushing off and drawing a foul or committing a moving screen violation is basically a turnover.  Blaming a game on refs is what is ignorant.  I'm not saying you did.  But someone did which is the only reason we're having this conversation.  Some missed calls will not make the different between a loss and a 20+ point win.  Perhaps the refs weren't turning a blind eye...maybe Argyle did it so well that it didn't appear to be a violation.  Which would make sense to me being how they are a disciplined team...as you stated. Well coached teams can make things like that seem legal.  Which in fact makes it legal.  If the whistle doesn't blow then there is no violation.  Regardless of what anyone thinks.

Either way, it doesn't matter.  Argyle was the best team at the regional tournament when it mattered.  That's all that matters.

No surprise to what happens next...2 opposite styles of play are about to square off.  Silsbee will no doubt try to speed the game up.  Argyle will most likely try to slow it down.  I think whichever team is successful at doing that will probably win.  We'll see what happens.

21 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

When I said I was confused it was sarcasm.  I do that.  The reason I did it this time was because your statement contradicted itself.  A ref turning a blind eye to something implies that a violation occurred but the ref chose not to act on it.  Pushing off and drawing a foul or committing a moving screen violation is basically a turnover.  Blaming a game on refs is what is ignorant.  I'm not saying you did.  But someone did which is the only reason we're having this conversation.  Some missed calls will not make the different between a loss and a 20+ point win.  Perhaps the refs weren't turning a blind eye...maybe Argyle did it so well that it didn't appear to be a violation.  Which would make sense to me being how they are a disciplined team...as you stated. Well coached teams can make things like that seem legal.  Which in fact makes it legal.  If the whistle doesn't blow then there is no violation.  Regardless of what anyone thinks.

Either way, it doesn't matter.  Argyle was the best team at the regional tournament when it mattered.  That's all that matters.

No surprise to what happens next...2 opposite styles of play are about to square off.  We'll see what happens.

You're exactly right. Argyle was the best when it mattered. And you're right that I'm not blaming refs. Center had their chances. It was just one of those days for the Riders where we couldn't buy a bucket around the rim. We probably missed at least 10-15 shots less than 5ft away.

I think what makes it tough for us Rider fans to swallow from the loss was the fact that 2 former refs of 20+ years from that chapter, who watched all 3 games in commerce, thought that argyle got the "benefit of the doubt" on numerous occasions. I know, as a homer, that any fan can be biased towards what WE see and what WE don't see. So for me personally, it kind of validated what I thought I was seeing. Another observation by those 2 retired refs...center, paris, and Lincoln's rosters were predominately black kids. Argyle was predominantly white (1 black kid who never played). I'll let you guess what race the refs were. And before anyone says that I'm being racist, or am a racist, just know that I'm a white guy, haha. Call it what you want...good coaching, bad refs, or whatever....they're in San Antonio and my Riders are not. Good luck to silsbee this weekend!