2017 UIL 5A Girls Basketball Semifinals #1 Canyon vs Barbers Hill

12 hours ago, Hoopster-007 said:

Canyon is triple teaming Charli in the low post. 23-7 Canyon. Waiting for her to take a dribble....

If Canyon triple-teamed her then that should've led to a ton of open shots for other players.  it's amazing to me that BH only took 6 shots a quarter.

11 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

If Canyon triple-teamed her then that should've led to a ton of open shots for other players.  it's amazing to me that BH only took 6 shots a quarter.

It is possible to triple team someone when they have the ball and still be able to cover all 5 players when that one person doesn't have the ball.

5 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Oldschool2 is correct. It is "possible to triple team someone when they have the ball and still be able to cover all 5 players when that one person doesn't have the ball." Canyon simply doubled-downed it's strong-side guard and brought the weak-side helper as the third defender.  Personally, however, I believe your question has merit because we may have forced passes and did not test Canyon's "help and recover/help the helper defense."  Without a doubt, Canyon proved to be the better team. I just don't believe Canyon's players are 30 points better than BH's players.

Credit goes to Canyon's fundamental defense and BH's turnovers for BH's limited shots per quarter.

5 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

It is possible to triple team someone when they have the ball and still be able to cover all 5 players when that one person doesn't have the ball.

it should also be possible to move the ball quicker than they adjust back to their original man.  if there are three people guarding one, then at that moment two people are open, if they're playing man.  if they're playing zone, then there are some giant holes in it somewhere at that moment. 

25 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

it should also be possible to move the ball quicker than they adjust back to their original man.  if there are three people guarding one, then at that moment two people are open, if they're playing man.  if they're playing zone, then there are some giant holes in it somewhere at that moment. 

In theory.  However, if a defense is sound then they'll be able to double/triple a post player and close out to the ball well enough and/or rotate well enough to at least pester a perimeter shooter.  If nothing else...force an offensive player to hesitate just long enough for the defense to get back into position.  Perhaps BH has leaned too heavily on their UConn commit post player too many times in tight games.  Which would be understandable.  I don't know.

Perhaps Canyon isn't 30 points better...I'll give credit to the man that is now coaching for his 19th state championship as a head coach.  I would think that someone with that much success will know exactly how to prepare his team for any kind of star player.