Referendum ballot to split 5A into divisions passes

1 hour ago, Stattrax said:

Just when you thought the UIL could not water it down anymore......... BAM..............

Everyone gets a Participant Ribbon.............

Well it's not actually watering it down. There already IS a 5A D1 and D2.  This will just simultaneously cause travel nightmares... especially in west and south Texas and equalize teams playing against teams of equal enrolmernt. That's the real vote that was decided.

Just look at the math of it.  Under the current system, 32 statewide districts send 4 teams to the playoffs (2 DI and 2 II), meaning 128 teams currently make the playoffs.

Under the new system, 4 teams will go to the playoffs out of 16 statewide DI districts and 4 teams will go to the playoffs out of 16 statewide districts.  Guess what?  That is still 128 teams going to the playoffs.

Yes, the shortened district schedule does mean that fewer district wins will be required to qualify for the playoffs,  However, that is not the only headache that a shortened district schedule will create for now coaches who were used to scheduling only 2-3 pre-district games now get to schedule half of their season with pre-season games.  Thus the likes of Coaches, Faircloth, Barrow and Riordan get to enter the world of Coaches Thompson, Smith and DuBois in that respect.  In fact, the members of the local 4A DI and DII district might be the biggest winners as they could possibly have more suitors for those fourth, fifth and possibly sixth pre-district game come next February..

13 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

Memorial and Nederland. Nederland might be one of the smaller schools in the new D1 format if they fall in the catagory and I'm sure they will 

Under current enrollment Nederland will be division 2 The last team in for Division 1 would have been Ennis who turned in 1619 at last alignment. I bet Ozen will opt to play up in 5a again the only question marks will be the enrollment numbers for Livingston and Lumberton

6 hours ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

Here is how it is watered down.  Districts will only have 5 or 6 in each district.  1 - 9 could get you in the playoffs. That is watering it down. 

My exact thoughts...... I am not a idiot, and did rather well in math......... But its back to participant ribbons and trophies......

I hope Ozen for their sake does go down to 4A Div 1 because they have the athletes to make a deep run. It will be interesting to see if Lumberton were to move down they very well could make a deep playoff run as well. They play hard just the numbers don't match up to the bigger schools in the district. 

I Doubt BH will move this way because the Hill has their "connections" Dayton yes I could see that happen again it's been done once before. 

I was told Memorial has a big 8th grade class this year that could bump them back to 6A if the numbers don't fall them to 5A again. 

10 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

I hope Ozen for their sake does go down to 4A Div 1 because they have the athletes to make a deep run. It will be interesting to see if Lumberton were to move down they very well could make a deep playoff run as well. They play hard just the numbers don't match up to the bigger schools in the district. 

I Doubt BH will move this way because the Hill has their "connections" Dayton yes I could see that happen again it's been done once before. 

I was told Memorial has a big 8th grade class this year that could bump them back to 6A if the numbers don't fall them to 5A again. 

I don't see Lumberton dropping, ever. Population growth in Lumberton will likely stay ahead of UIL's rising cutoff number between 4A and 5A.

Well, my math again reveals that the watering down is due to the amount of teams in the Class, not the DI/DII split and makes me now wonder if we will see the same type of districts

Folks look at 4A and point to the number of 5 and 6 team districts as the fate that awaits 5A.  But folks don't always realize, that under the current alignment, only 187 teams are in 4A.  With 32 total districts, that is an average of just under 6 teams per district.  In fact, a look at alignments in other sports reveal that area basketball districts, not under the DI/DII split look strikingly similar in number to their football counterparts which is under such a division. 

By contrast, under the current alignment, there are 253 teams in Class 5A.  With 32 districts, that is an average of just under 8 teams per district.  For 5A districts, even in DI and DII, to look like their 4A counterparts, the UIL would have to rid Class 5A of 66 schools, or effectively 1 out of every 4 current 5A teams.

SImply put. regardless of whether 5A maintains it's current form or moves to a DI/DII season long split, the UIL will still be charged with placing 253 (or approximately that many) schools into 32 districts.  Thus, after further comptemplation, I really doubt that you will see a difference in number of teams per district that what you see now.

It just gets to that you gotta put them somewhere.