Monte Barrow named new HC/AD at Nederland!

KABrother

4 minutes ago, Honest Abe said:

Congrats to Monte. Well deserved after waiting 20 some odd years for his turn at the helm. No doubt he was the best choice for the job. I read a lot of people hoping for this outcome as well as a bump for coach English. Does anyone know if this was addressed?

If by bump you are referring to pay, that is usually handled in the summer when they do the budget.  This meeting was just to hire the AD/HC.

Gotcha. I heard chatter that English is the lowest paid basketball coach in the area (regardless of classification). If true, that's a shame...My kid went through the bball program a few years back, and I know that Coach E. puts in more time with his kids than any bball coach in the area. Too bad there isn't more of a direct correlation with time/pay.

2 minutes ago, Honest Abe said:

Gotcha. I heard chatter that English is the lowest paid basketball coach in the area (regardless of classification). If true, that's a shame...My kid went through the bball program a few years back, and I know that Coach E. puts in more time with his kids than any bball coach in the area. Too bad there isn't more of a direct correlation with time/pay.

I can not see this being true.

11 minutes ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

That is not even close to being correct. Nederland is in the top 3 of teacher salaries in the area.  The coaching stipends are pretty comparable. 

Yeah, and teacher's salaries are computed by years of service, so he probably has at least 20 years in by now including the time that he was at Vidor.

5 minutes ago, team first said:

Doubtful, you must not know what men, and the bmt schools pay. 

So that rt there already puts him middle of the pack 

Maybe, I do not know. But, he does have many many years of service. So the comment about being the lowest paid coach in the area (regardless of class) seems way far fetched. 

14 minutes ago, team first said:

Looking at both the NISD website Salary Scale and the BISD Salary Scale, with 20 years experience, Nederland pays 3k more than 20 years experience at BISD. Stipends are not available on the NISD website, but BISD pays HC for basketball 7.5k.

Unless I am reading that wrong, Nederland actually pays more.

16 minutes ago, team first said:

Well, as far as teacher's salaries goes, Nederland is about the same as BISD.   Coaching wise, we know that the football coaches aren't paid as much at least the HCs.

This is the hidden content, please

6 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Looking at both the NISD website Salary Scale and the BISD Salary Scale, with 20 years experience, Nederland pays 3k more than 20 years experience at BISD. Stipends are not available on the NISD website, but BISD pays HC for basketball 7.5k.

Unless I am reading that wrong, Nederland actually pays more.

Yeah, you posted that right before I did.  The salary schedules are above.

1 hour ago, team first said:

so bmt Jv coaches are on par with Ned head basketball coach. 

we talking coaching , not teaching. That would be a whole knew can of worms, since some head coaches at those schools may not have any classes to teach at all 

Wow, you really need to re read the post.   Coaches receive stipends on top of their teaching salaries, which  partially goes by years of experience and advanced degrees.  I don't know about BISD, but unless you are the AD every other coach has to teach classes and that is a large part of their salary.

25 minutes ago, bigdog said:

Wow, you really need to re read the post.   Coaches receive stipends on top of their teaching salaries, which  partially goes by years of experience and advanced degrees.  I don't know about BISD, but unless you are the AD every other coach has to teach classes and that is a large part of their salary.

Wow is rt, everyone and their mother knows Years for teachers. 

So once again English is paid as one of the lowest in the area for coaching basketball. 

Coaching pay class 101 

Edited by team first

28 minutes ago, team first said:

Wow is rt, everyone and their mother knows Years for teachers. 

So once again English is past as one of the lowest in the area for coaching basketball. 

Coaching pay class 101 

*Sigh*  I am getting tired of a pointless argument and this is way off topic, but here it goes.   The BB coach at Central was making 53k (salaries and stipend) at Ozen in 2012.  Assuming a modest increase, (Although BISD went through a salary freeze a couple of years ago) He is probably making around 60k at Central.  If English has 20 years service( at least) as a teacher and even a modest stipend he is making more. Saveat was making 62k.  Either way even if its a little less, English is still making around what BISD is paying.

32 minutes ago, bigdog said:

*Sigh*  I am getting tired of a pointless argument and this is way off topic, but here it goes.   The BB coach at Central was making 53k (salaries and stipend) at Ozen in 2012.  Assuming a modest increase, (Although BISD went through a salary freeze a couple of years ago) He is probably making around 60k at Central.  If English has 20 years service( at least) as a teacher and even a modest stipend he is making more. Saveat was making 62k.  Either way even if its a little less, English is still making around what BISD is paying.

I don't believe that It's not as 'off topic' as you claim. I read numerous posts in this thread stating that it would be good for coach E to 'get a bump' (in pay) as he 'deserves' if Monte gets both titles. I think the remarks were to the effect of him having a master's degree. Not sure how much (if any) he receives for that accomplishment, but a reason to obtain such a degree (in education) is in hopes of an administrative type job. The AD is a type of admin job, especially based on the pay scale. A reliable source tells me he's not receiving $7.5k/year as a stipend. That same source also confirmed that he IS the lowest paid coach in 22-5A for certain. I'm being vocal about this bc I want coach E to stick around a bit longer for my youngest boy. I want him to have the same opportunities as did my oldest son. 

2 hours ago, bigdog said:

pointless is rt, 

English stipend is 3200

bmt head coaches stipend 7000

asst coach 5000

jv 3500

please quit sigh and wowing, and take a coach pay 101 

sigh wow 

2 hours ago, Honest Abe said:

I don't believe that It's not as 'off topic' as you claim. I read numerous posts in this thread stating that it would be good for coach E to 'get a bump' (in pay) as he 'deserves' if Monte gets both titles. I think the remarks were to the effect of him having a master's degree. Not sure how much (if any) he receives for that accomplishment, but a reason to obtain such a degree (in education) is in hopes of an administrative type job. The AD is a type of admin job, especially based on the pay scale. A reliable source tells me he's not receiving $7.5k/year as a stipend. That same source also confirmed that he IS the lowest paid coach in 22-5A for certain. I'm being vocal about this bc I want coach E to stick around a bit longer for my youngest boy. I want him to have the same opportunities as did my oldest son. 

Pay that man his money.... if he is the lowest paid, thats ridiculous.  I do think he'll have more freedom with Barrow at the helm.  

2 hours ago, team first said:

pointless is rt, 

English stipend is 3200

bmt head coaches stipend 7000

asst coach 5000

jv 3500

please quit sigh and wowing, and take a coach pay 101 

sigh wow 

BMT coaches only get paid $7500 dollars a year?  How do they pay their bills?  Lol.

i like how you changed it to only the stipend when I gave you the numbers to prove you wrong, especially when you said nothing about it until it was your only argument.  You really think any coach is depending on thier stipend to feed their families?  I'm sure they are glad to have it but that's not what pays the bills.

• Bigdog locked this topic