Monte Barrow named new HC/AD at Nederland!

KABrother

1 hour ago, fox said:

LN leaving in the middle of the year and others retiring all of a sudden it starts to make you wonder if something is going on. 

This is the hidden content, please

As for Spell and Crommet retiring,  Spell has coached for over 40+ years and is at least in his 70s.  All of his kids are grown with their own families and one coaches with him.  I don't know how old Crommet is but generally a new coach is going to bring in some of his own staff and he probably decided it was time to hang it up.

1 hour ago, Stattrax said:

Well I guess I might be the BAD guy  here. LN was great for Nederland. He turned them from the laughing stock of the district into a contender for the DC yearly. I would think Nederland would be better off hiring Monte over an outsider. My reasons are this.. Nederland has been good at being a little above average. They are not making deep playoff runs on a regular basis. And we all know the facilities are not the best in the area, much less the state. That being said, I find it hard to believe they could get a better qualified, dedicated coach like Monte to replace LN. Big time coaches are looking for money, facilities, and athletes. Not bashing any Nederland coach or fan, because they have done better then everyone else in the district for years, and have been the only glimmer of hope many of years to go a few rounds. I just think as a whole, if I was looking for a place to coach.. I would first ask, why are bonds never passed in Nederland? Why do we have old facilities? And what does my feeder schools look like for athletes. And of course, how much money are you going to pay me!!! LN was a special coach that fit perfect in the city of Nederland. And IMO, you already have a guy on the staff that knows the city, fans, and families, that is dedicated, and has been mentored by LN for years... Good luck on whatever happens.... But as I have stated for years, you can never count out Nederland because of the LN factor.... It might be interesting now....

Solid post & the real truth. 

2 hours ago, Stattrax said:

Well I guess I might be the BAD guy  here. LN was great for Nederland. He turned them from the laughing stock of the district into a contender for the DC yearly. I would think Nederland would be better off hiring Monte over an outsider. My reasons are this.. Nederland has been good at being a little above average. They are not making deep playoff runs on a regular basis. And we all know the facilities are not the best in the area, much less the state. That being said, I find it hard to believe they could get a better qualified, dedicated coach like Monte to replace LN. Big time coaches are looking for money, facilities, and athletes. Not bashing any Nederland coach or fan, because they have done better then everyone else in the district for years, and have been the only glimmer of hope many of years to go a few rounds. I just think as a whole, if I was looking for a place to coach.. I would first ask, why are bonds never passed in Nederland? Why do we have old facilities? And what does my feeder schools look like for athletes. And of course, how much money are you going to pay me!!! LN was a special coach that fit perfect in the city of Nederland. And IMO, you already have a guy on the staff that knows the city, fans, and families, that is dedicated, and has been mentored by LN for years... Good luck on whatever happens.... But as I have stated for years, you can never count out Nederland because of the LN factor.... It might be interesting now....

Stat, you have offended no one from Nederland with this truth.  These are the facts, this is the direction I hope we move in as well... for all the reasons you perfectly laid out.

1 hour ago, Brubaker said:

There is a lot of bad information here and poor speculation.  Glad to hear Crommet is not retiring.  Spell is not in his 70's and is coaching this year from the last I heard.

I don't know how old he is exactly, but I know how old his oldest child is. :)   Just an estimation on my part as I know how old my mom is.  Also, I was just replying to someone else's comment on Spell and Crommet.

1 hour ago, Bulldogpower said:

All I know it's gonna suck not having LN on the sidelines calling the shots, I hope it's filled with someone who knows what they are doing, whoever it is will have big shoes to fill. wonder if it's crossed JMs mind....... just a thought. I want monte personally though

Jeff Matthews?

1 hour ago, bobbymcgee said:

What about Kevin Barbay?

Bring Kevin Barbay home from Florida to be AD and head football coach to guys that coach him. He has proven his self in the SEC but would Big Ned be the job that brings him home. Monte has been without being said the coach in waiting IMO for years. Rumors swirling around that a masters will be needed for AD and Head Football. Also when it comes to facilities and not passing bonds. Honestly we have to look at what businesses we have in Nederand. We don't have big donors or big businesses in Nederland. I do feel like it's time for parents to come together on a bond that is logical for tax payers and does what is right for the kids in the long run. As much as I want turf at bulldog stadium. We need new schools among other things plus renovation of bulldog stadium. It's not a 5 year plan. It's more like a 10 to 15 year plan plus tax increases. 

you're right about Nederland not having the industry that PNG and Port Arthur have, but if you remember when PNG passed their bond election it was before the bottom dropped out of the economy, Ned put theirs on the table during a bad recession and had no chance of passing, just bad timing I guess. But one of the good things about the upgrade to Indian stadium is we win there more than the Indians do..so thanks for the nice place to win in.

8 hours ago, JustUs said:

Would it surprise anyone if... Lamar ex-RAY WOODARD...threw his hat in the ring for the Nederland... AD/HC... job ?

It was said on another thread that Woodard applied for the BISD Athletic Director spot and wouldn't be interested in any high school coaching positions but you never know...

10 hours ago, Knoddy1 said:

you're right about Nederland not having the industry that PNG and Port Arthur have, but if you remember when PNG passed their bond election it was before the bottom dropped out of the economy, Ned put theirs on the table during a bad recession and had no chance of passing, just bad timing I guess. But one of the good things about the upgrade to Indian stadium is we win there more than the Indians do..so thanks for the nice place to win in.

Ned has voted down new schools twice, they were not both in recessions when the economy was bad, only the first.  They just clearly are not going to do it, so I agree shouldnt be spending big money to attract a new coach.  

IMO Monte Barrow best choice for head coach for the whole athletic program, players,students & town period. Facts- Nederland football program was not good at all for over 25 years until LN took over & implemented his beliefs & system. 20 playoff trips, a few deep runs in playoffs, a few upsets over higher ranked teams & several undefeated district titles with Barrow as his assistant the whole time. The LN system & program works at Nederland, the last 2 years before LN system the program ran by an out of area guy the teams i believe were 0-10 & 2-8, why change something that is proven success? Why put Nederland Coaches & their families out of jobs based on any agendas & egos. Barrow is a damn good football coach, experienced,fair,honest & wants the job based on all the right things not solely on money,facilities or politics.  

31 minutes ago, WOS99 said:

Not to be the REALLY bad guy, but, as an outsider, I don't know that this is as attractive a job as insiders think. Tons of pressure and a big shadow with a really mediocre talent ceiling. Sorry...

No need to be sorry,we done ok with all our really mediocre kids.  WOS always has great football talent & Dan Hooks was great  with a great system & program for many years. Hopefully NISD follows what wos did with replacing hooks when he retired with long time wos asst. Coach Thompson & go with Coach Barrow so we can at least stay at the top of our mediocre talent ceiling.   

• Bigdog locked this topic