Kountze vs Newton Area round

aTmfan06

Watch out for Newton, they can sneak up and bite you. I don't know anything about them this year, but 2 years ago they eliminated a really good Buna team in the 2nd round in a game they really should not have won. Buna was the better team in just about every category other than athleticism, but Newton got HOT from the 3 pt. line and Buna failed to adjust properly on defense. Newton ended up winning in OT. They were very athletic and played decent team defense, but they really didn't do anything special on offense other than have the best 3 pt. shooting performance I have ever seen in my life, at any level, and I'm not exaggerating. It felt like they literally shot over 75% from the 3 line. I think they hit over 15 3's if I remember correctly..... Which was even more unbelievable because they were one of the worst shooting teams in warmups that I had seen that year........ Anyway, that is old news but it's all I know about Newton lol. 

Newton is not bad this season have a good group of young talent in the 10th grade class mixed with good juniors and a couple seniors who have played for the varsity for a couple years now. They also have a freshman big kid who is a force in the paint on defense. Should be a lot of athletes on the court Friday night. I will be there to watch for sure. 

15 minutes ago, Gregg Popovich said:

Watch out for Newton, they can sneak up and bite you. I don't know anything about them this year, but 2 years ago they eliminated a really good Buna team in the 2nd round in a game they really should not have won. Buna was the better team in just about every category other than athleticism, but Newton got HOT from the 3 pt. line and Buna failed to adjust properly on defense. Newton ended up winning in OT. They were very athletic and played decent team defense, but they really didn't do anything special on offense other than have the best 3 pt. shooting performance I have ever seen in my life, at any level, and I'm not exaggerating. It felt like they literally shot over 75% from the 3 line. I think they hit over 15 3's if I remember correctly..... Which was even more unbelievable because they were one of the worst shooting teams in warmups that I had seen that year........ Anyway, that is old news but it's all I know about Newton lol. 

I remember that game. Buna and Kountze fans were looking for a Game 4 in the Regional tournament but Buna got upset by Newton. 

6 minutes ago, KHSAlum400 said:

I remember that game. Buna and Kountze fans were looking for a Game 4 in the Regional tournament but Buna got upset by Newton. 

Yeah it sucked pretty bad as a Buna fan. Most of the town had that team picked to be the first state tourney team from Buna since the 60's. They had everything you could want in a small school basketball team; size, several skilled players, a true big man with a soft touch and low post skill, years of chemistry from playing with each other, and a deep bench. It just goes to show that anything can happen in the playoffs, and some things just aint meant to be. 

14 minutes ago, Gregg Popovich said:

Yeah it sucked pretty bad as a Buna fan. Most of the town had that team picked to be the first state tourney team from Buna since the 60's. They had everything you could want in a small school basketball team; size, several skilled players, a true big man with a soft touch and low post skill, years of chemistry from playing with each other, and a deep bench. It just goes to show that anything can happen in the playoffs, and some things just aint meant to be. 

Were you around for the 2000 Regional Final game with Kountze and Buna? 

4 minutes ago, KHSAlum400 said:

Were you around for the 2000 Regional Final game with Kountze and Buna? 

Naw that was a little bit before my time, but i've heard alot about those days. I came through Buna in 06'-10', and we SUCKED during that period. But that is when Whitmire came on as an assistant and he would always talk about the early 2000's when Buna was still good and he was coming into high school. From what I have heard those were the days of some good Kountze vs. Buna basketball.

1 hour ago, DC10 said:

That team was one of, if not the best Buna has had since the 60's.

Yes, they were very good. Had the tall Marks kid, with Michael McCain and a few others. We split in district and then Kountze won the tiebreaker in Silsbee. In the Regional Final Buna had a double-digit halftime lead and we came back and won it on a 3-pointer at the buzzer 

3 minutes ago, KHSAlum400 said:

Yes, they were very good. Had the tall Marks kid, with Michael McCain and a few others. We split in district and then Kountze won the tiebreaker in Silsbee. In the Regional Final Buna had a double-digit halftime lead and we came back and won it on a 3-pointer at the buzzer 

Michael McMahon

I was fortunate enough to get to see all 4 of those games that year and they were all very entertaining.

10 minutes ago, KHSAlum400 said:

4 minutes ago, DC10 said:

Michael McMahon

I was fortunate enough to get to see all 4 of those games that year and they were all very entertaining.

I've heard Michael McMahon was friggin bad to the bone. And I played against the 7 ft. Marks guy in an alumni game a few years ago. That's the biggest human I have ever stood beside. 

19 minutes ago, Javelina said:

That regional final game was crazy!!  I remember that game like it was a few weeks ago.  Buna got outscored 7-1 in the last 1:04 of the game and missed 4 or 5 free throws to ice the game in my opinion.  3 pointer with 1 second left then marks half court heave that barely missed.

You remember well. Thanks for bringing back those memories. There was so much riding on that game for us. We had lost in the Regional finals two years straight before that. We were so happy to finally get over the hump. It was so bad that we showed up to Austin that next week "just happy to be there" and played like it for 3 quarters.

5 minutes ago, KHSAlum400 said:

You remember well. Thanks for bringing back those memories. There was so much riding on that game for us. We had lost in the Regional finals two years straight before that. We were so happy to finally get over the hump. It was so bad that we showed up to Austin that next week "just happy to be there" and played like it for 3 quarters.

You talking about the Gainesville game?

6 minutes ago, KHSAlum400 said:

Yes, in 2000. I have the DVD of that game and still watch it (and get mad) from time to time. Lol. Kountze played Gainesville again in '02 also. 

Did Kountze play the same style back then as they have been playing in the  Joubert era? Fast full-court pressure, force a ton of turnovers and make it rain from the 3 line?

8 minutes ago, KHSAlum400 said:

Yes, in 2000. I have the DVD of that game and still watch it (and get mad) from time to time. Lol. Kountze played Gainesville again in '02 also. 

Ok I remember being at the one in 02.... I was in 8th grade. I remember them broadcasting  the end of the state semi final game over the PA system at the middle school. Me and my parents drove to Austin after school that day.