Kountze vs Newton Area round

aTmfan06

11 minutes ago, Gregg Popovich said:

Did Kountze play the same style back then as they have been playing in the  Joubert era? Fast full-court pressure, force a ton of turnovers and make it rain from the 3 line?

It's been the same since '93. The full-court press started with Coach Green who's now at North Shore. We weren't as big back then though. Just fast, athletic, and played much better defense. 

6 minutes ago, KHSAlum400 said:

It's been the same since '93. The full-court press started with Coach Green who's now at North Shore. We weren't as big back then though. Just fast, athletic, and played much better defense. 

The defense is is a shell of what it used to be. No offense to this years team at all. I can remember when we won state in 07 vs Shallowater the local newspaper interviewed a player from shallowater and he said how Kountze played basketball isn't basketball lol

4 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

The defense is is a shell of what it used to be. No offense to this years team at all. I can remember when we won state in 07 vs Shallowater the local newspaper interviewed a player from shallowater and he said how Kountze played basketball isn't basketball lol

Those are the teams I think of when I think of Kountze basketball, 06'-10'. Roman Walker, Devin Bray, Domingo... all those guys. It felt like we were playing a friggin college team when we played them. They literally beat us by as much as 60 pts some games lol. It was downright sad. 

I loved watching them play EC with Vance McDonald and Tramain Thomas. It felt like you weren't even watching high school basketball when they played. 

9 minutes ago, Gregg Popovich said:

Those are the teams I think of when I think of Kountze basketball, 06'-10'. Roman Walker, Devin Bray, Domingo... all those guys. It felt like we were playing a friggin college team when we played them. They literally beat us by as much as 60 pts some games lol. It was downright sad. 

I loved watching them play EC with Vance McDonald and Tramain Thomas. It felt like you weren't even watching high school basketball when they played. 

Yeah I can remember in 05-06 . My senior year when the bell would ring for school to get out at 3:21 there would already be a line out in front of the gym to watch Kountze vs EC that night 

1 hour ago, aTmfan06 said:

Yeah I can remember in 05-06 . My senior year when the bell would ring for school to get out at 3:21 there would already be a line out in front of the gym to watch Kountze vs EC that night 

Yep, would have to leave work early to get a seat in both Kountze and EC. Lol

1 hour ago, Gregg Popovich said:

1 hour ago, aTmfan06 said:

There was nothing like those games, in Kountze and East Chambers' old gyms! 

Arguably the best teams to come throughout EC didn't make State, bc Kountze and Arp were just that good. Thomas and McDonald went to 4 straight regional tournaments. Loss to Kountze in the regional final twice (Freshman and Junior years), Kountze would go on to win State both years. And then loss to Arp in the regional semifinals twice (Soph. and Senior). Arp would win State one of thos years, lose to the state champs the other. If we could of had those 4 years of players at any other time, we would no doubt have a state championship. 

4 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

Yeah to me the overall talent of players in this region.. even the state isn't near what it used to be 

Interesting comment on the state. You do know that Texas has had more McDonald's All Americans the last few years than they have had in the prior 20+ years combined.

17 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

Yeah to me the overall talent of players in this region.. even the state isn't near what it used to be 

Agree, the two years White Oak won state is the last time this region had a team on that level. And they weren't even in the same level as those Arp, Kountze, and EC teams. This year I believe LaMarque is, but really they are a 4A...

32 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Interesting comment on the state. You do know that Texas has had more McDonald's All Americans the last few years than they have had in the prior 20+ years combined.

I might have over reached by saying the state. And go ahead and make your prediction. I honestly could see this going either way after last nights game.

43 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

Agree, the two years White Oak won state is the last time this region had a team on that level. And they weren't even in the same level as those Arp, Kountze, and EC teams. This year I believe LaMarque is, but really they are a 4A...

LaMarque is no more a 4A than East Chambers is a 4A.

Enrollment numbers for both schools:

LaMarque           458

East Chambers  418

Those guys were really good but the group just before them I believe that had Busby and Powell had it all. Their pressure would just beat you up. Very good ball clubs in those days.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I don't see how they could have an enrollment increase of 250 in less than a year.

You will have to show me where that number is posted.

Last post about this, sorry Kountze-Newton. LaMarque's enrollment had steadily dwindled as it looked like the school was going to shut down. Enrollment for the current alignment was posted before Texas City ISD, officially took over LaMarque HS. Also, a private school in LaMarque closed following last school year which added approximately 100 students. This is from a LaMarque source. 

17 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

Last post about this, sorry Kountze-Newton. LaMarque's enrollment had steadily dwindled as it looked like the school was going to shut down. Enrollment for the current alignment was posted before Texas City ISD, officially took over LaMarque HS. Also, a private school in LaMarque closed following last school year which added approximately 100 students. This is from a LaMarque source. 

It sucks when stuff like this happens. Tough break for Buna, and possibly all of region 3.

Now back to Kountze vs. Newton! lol