☆#1 Silsbee vs HJ☆

7 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

I'm curious!  I can remember coming to S.E. Texas and the Silsbee-HJ games were the top rival matches. AggiesnotWe use to post the past results from the HJ-Silsbee games yearly. Can you give us a walk down memory lane?

I could, but some folks on here would get offended and call me redundant.

Let's just say that in recent years (last 5-6 years) the "rivalry" is a bit one-sided.

36 minutes ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

HJ struggled with a very weak B T Washington team last night. I left the gym at the end of the 1st qtr because it was like watching paint dry. I don't see HJ being able to handle Silsbee Press. 

Silsbee wins big -50

The big question is will Yates be able to handle Silsbee's press?  Assuming both get that far of course. 

1 hour ago, no-look said:

The big question is will Yates be able to handle Silsbee's press?  Assuming both get that far of course. 

Assuming both teams make it to Sam Houston, it should be a fun game to watch. Yates will be the under dog against #1 Silsbee lol. Yates will press the entire game regardless if we are winning or getting blown away, so this particular game should be at a fast pace. 

Hope the refs are in shape  to keep up with both teams. 

4 minutes ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

Assuming both teams make it to Sam Houston, it should be a fun game to watch. Yates will be the under dog against #1 Silsbee lol. Yates will press the entire game regardless if we are winning or getting blown away, so this particular game should be at a fast pace. 

no-look;

Do you have a horse (school alumni) in this playoff race??? 

2 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

Silsbee has the tougher draw as it turns out because North Forest and Yates are the 2 of the 3 best teams in the region.   They will likely have to beat them both to make it to SA.  They will be the favorite in both but they will also have to earn it. 

22 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Why should this game be any different?

2009 season

Silsbee/Jasper

Yes but that one, and for that matter all other sports disasters, pale to insignificance compared to the spring of 1997 and the biggest sports upset I ever witnessed in person.  Silsbee was 31 - 0 and ranked No. 1.  We had a first round bye.  Then we lost in the area round to Tyler Chapel Hill.  The specter of the game still haunts me.  Lufkin's old high school gym I believe.  We sat there paralyzed in stunned, silent disbelief.  The score board read 66-62.  It was like watching the Hindenburg on the ground, a burning broken mangle of junk.  Oh the humanities!  Meanwhile the kids on the other team enjoyed the happiest moment of their lives.  Many of our kids (and fans) were crying but I think some of their's were too, out of sheer joy and perhaps the astounding unlikeliness of it all.  And then Chapel Hill, a fair team but far from great and one that we could have easily dusted off any other time, lost a not very close game to Cleveland in the next round.

The only joy I can take out of it is a perverse one.  I'm certain that this was the high point of those Chapel Hill peoples lives and it's been all downhill from there.  Anyway, for me, when it comes to unexpectedness this one is up there with the The Miracle On Ice - but in a bad way.  I'm just glad they didn't make a movie.

But it's apples and oranges.  Everything is different.  It's like a giant meteor has just hit the Earth so it can't happen again, right?  Not in the same lifetime anyway.   Impossible odds, right?

Maybe I shouldn't even be talking about this.  Isn't there some rule for Silsbee people that makes it taboo to even think of it?  If not perhaps there should be.

As far as this game goes, it is one the Tigers should handle.  However it isn't like most of these district games or even Monday's game, where we will win just by showing up. We have to focus and play our game and it will take care of itself.  This is one of those games like that Jasper game where we are the better team but like Jasper proved anything can happen if you don't focus.  

Play time has been over I will not disrespect anyone or any team in the playoffs but the bar will raise significantly after the hj game again no disrespect hj but north forest ,Yates, Waco la vega, are probably a little better than hj with that being said this is the playoffs and any team can be beat so tigers need to stay focus finish layups hit free throws and play lights out defense if the tigers can focus on reaching 100 or more points then silsbee has a great chance o winning good luck tigers beat hj.

Silsbee is 30 points better than HJ this year, and they've already beaten HJ by 30 once.  That being said, Silsbee has been a heavy favorite for the better part of the last decade against the hawks, and the hawks have won a few, and made many more of the games very close despite an athletic/depth advantage for the tigers.  I expect this to be a 25-30 point game.  This is the weakest HJ team in 11 or 12 years, at least, and possibly the strongest Silsbee team ever.  Silsbee should win handily.  But in a rivalry game, you just never, ever know...