Larry Haynes scared to play Hardin-Jefferson

bjimbo

Has anyone heard the non sense about Larry Haynes not honoring the contract between Hardin and HJ?  Apparently he showed up during the football season and tried to convince Sloan to change schedule before Stark was even let go.  Looks like Hardin is under very poor leadership.  What a shame.

Its very simple. You come into a job in the middle of a two year realignment, you honor the schedule that was done for those two years. After this next season then you can schedule how you see fit.

By dropping teams in the middle of two year schedule, you send those teams scurrying for a 1 year opponent. Not cool!

Show some class

26 minutes ago, 90yshallow said:

Hardin will not be competitive playing against the majority of the teams they play.  Stark set up a schedule to ensure that his team would go 0-10 and his reward for that was unemployment.  He was unprepared and had no contingency plan when the schedules were being made.

Really?  The 'killer" schedule that Coach Stark set up last year included Class 2A, DII Hull-Daisetta, perennial power (yes, that is sarcasm) Huntington, Class 3A, DII New Waverly, Class 2A, Division I Centerville and the aforementioned Hardin-Jefferson.  Yes, they were winning teams (except Huntington) but hardly teams that make you shake in your boots.

I mean God forbid that Coach Stark set up a predistrict schedule that would make his players play up in ability.

Hmm.  Alright, let me weigh in.

It's obvious that Coach Haynes is trying to schedule some wins.  Or...at least some teams he'll have a chance at beating.  I can understand to an extent.  He'll want to come in a be the hero.  I think it's probably not good to bail on a school in football because there are only 10 games and they're probably difficult to replace in the middle of the "home and home" 2 year agreement.  So no, I don't think that should've happened.  Like AAW said ^, finish out the schedule and remake it when the agreement is over.  However.  Did HJ willingly let Hardin out of the agreement?  I have no idea.  Maybe they did...not a soul here knows how that conversation went.  In all fairness...it would probably be better if they didn't play.  Only thing that will come of it is a guaranteed (pretty much) win for HJ.  That's a different conversation.

As for Stark.  I've said this before... someone tell me just exactly WHO he should've scheduled.  I thought the schedule was probably as good a schedule as he could've made.

Honestly, can you blame Haynes for trying to get HJ off the schedule? He's trying to keep a job as well. I don't think it's right to come on here and say that he's a "poor leader" when he's just trying to do what's best for him and his team. He's a new coach; give him a break. The only benefit of this game is that HJ will get their 2nd and 3rd team guys some reps in a live game.

It would be awesome to see HJ and BC play. Don't think HJ would be in favor of that though.

19 hours ago, BlueOwl said:

Honestly, can you blame Haynes for trying to get HJ off the schedule? He's trying to keep a job as well. I don't think it's right to come on here and say that he's a "poor leader" when he's just trying to do what's best for him and his team. He's a new coach; give him a break. The only benefit of this game is that HJ will get their 2nd and 3rd team guys some reps in a live game.

It would be awesome to see HJ and BC play. 

I can't blame Coach Haynes for wanting to get out of this game as you are correct, this game is a complete mismatch. 

However, at the same time, I can't blame Coach Sloan and the folks at H-J for being po'd at now having to scramble to find a 10th game (if this game is actually off).  Scheduling those games are hard enough to do as it is.  West Orange-Stark had to get a charter school for its 10th game.  Silsbee had to get an opponent that is still not officially a varsity team. Jasper had to schedule not 1 but 2, Louisiana charter schools to get a 10 game schedule.  Bridge City, after being jilted in almost a similar manner as this, was not even able to find a 10th game.  For all you and I know, this might have been Coach Sloan's only option for a 10th game.

And let's remember, when this game was agreed to in February of last year, H-J was coming off a 2-8 season, a far cry from the teams in 2013 and 2014 that each went 3 rounds in the 4A, DII playoffs.  That made it look far from the mismatch that it appears to be now.

I agree that an HJ/BC game would be interesting on many different levels.

Hardin should NEVER be on HJ's schedule. Under no circumstances should that happen. For a 4A coach to schedule this game against Hardin is an embarrassment to him and his program. It's a lose-lose situation for HJ. If they win they get nothing out of it whatsoever, except a W in the win column that isn't even respectable. If they lose it's an, even more, embarrassment for losing to a below average small school. This game should have never been scheduled in the first place. It seems to me that the only person scared in this situation is the one looking to beat up on a smaller school to make his record look better, rather than playing better competition to prepare his team for games that actually count.

I can't believe y'all are placing blame on Sloan.  Y'all have to remember Tatum and Center were two very distant match ups and Sloans first team went 2-8 and lost Kelly.(blue Owls senior year)  If HJ is still living off the two seasons that Dubois had than Hardin can still be living off their 7-7 state qualfiying team.  Word is Haynes also got Westbury to back out of their game with La Marque so they would play Hardin.  However, Westbury backed out on Hardin.  Since Hardin isn't very good I'm sure its been easier to find a game.  This post was to pull attention to the absolute unethical mess that is Larry Haynes.  It's also to show that if it's not stipulated that there would be a fine or penalty if you break contract, in the middle of one season to the next, the uil will not make you honor that.  Things that make me smfh.  Student athletes of Hardin High School and Middle School should be in everyones thoughts because they aren't in the best interested of Hardin's.  So sad!!

2 hours ago, bjimbo said:

I can't believe y'all are placing blame on Sloan.  Y'all have to remember Tatum and Center were two very distant match ups and Sloans first team went 2-8 and lost Kelly.(blue Owls senior year)  If HJ is still living off the two seasons that Dubois had than Hardin can still be living off their 7-7 state qualfiying team.  Word is Haynes also got Westbury to back out of their game with La Marque so they would play Hardin.  However, Westbury backed out on Hardin.  Since Hardin isn't very good I'm sure its been easier to find a game.  This post was to pull attention to the absolute unethical mess that is Larry Haynes.  It's also to show that if it's not stipulated that there would be a fine or penalty if you break contract, in the middle of one season to the next, the uil will not make you honor that.  Things that make me smfh.  Student athletes of Hardin High School and Middle School should be in everyones thoughts because they aren't in the best interested of Hardin's.  So sad!!

I left Westbury to take the AD job at Bob Hope. That would not be a good game for Hardin, just saying.

Jim why do you want Hardin on the schedule so bad? Don't you want your son to play in a game that will prepare him for teams like WOS and others that hopefully HJ will see in the playoffs? Or do you just want him to have a good record his senior year? I'm sure BlueOwl would have much rathered a worse record with DuBois if that meant being more prepared and going further in the playoffs. Goodluck to your son this year, hoping the best for all of the kids. 

8 hours ago, undiscovered said:

Jim why do you want Hardin on the schedule so bad? Don't you want your son to play in a game that will prepare him for teams like WOS and others that hopefully HJ will see in the playoffs? Or do you just want him to have a good record his senior year? I'm sure BlueOwl would have much rathered a worse record with DuBois if that meant being more prepared and going further in the playoffs. Goodluck to your son this year, hoping the best for all of the kids. 

]Wrong Jim Undiscovered if you're referring to me Pomirko.  I dont give a damn who they play. I love Friday nights and I love watching kids compete and come together for one goal. So unless there is another Dad named Jim you're referring to with a Senior, you got me confused. 

I'm sure undiscovered is talking to me.  So FYI, HJ was suppose to play Livingston and then that got dropped because Livingston lost count of their kids,lol.  Luckily Hardin contacted HJ contacted after this happened and the contract was set. The new head coach should simply honor it and get ready to start making his schedule after the upcoming season. This has nothing to do with with getting more prepared for district.  This is an extreme inconvenience when it comes to budget and things that surround dropping games.  

Word around town is that Centerville has already been dropped as well, and if history is any indication of the future that he is trying to get a W to keep the ONES whose opinion matter off his back. But in my humble opinion scheduling and coaching were not the reasons that Hardin went 0-10. A 3a d1 school that could not beat a 2a d2 school has more issues than scheduling. You would be hard pressed to find 5 wins before the calamity of a district schedule that your stuck with without traveling several hours for an "easy win" if there is such a thing. 

1 hour ago, JB78 said:

Word around town is that Centerville has already been dropped as well, and if history is any indication of the future that he is trying to get a W to keep the ONES whose opinion matter off his back. But in my humble opinion scheduling and coaching were not the reasons that Hardin went 0-10. A 3a d1 school that could not beat a 2a d2 school has more issues than scheduling. You would be hard pressed to find 5 wins before the calamity of a district schedule that your stuck with without traveling several hours for an "easy win" if there is such a thing. 

Bill Belichick would've gone 0-10 with that team...with that schedule.

He may schedule some schools preseason that are "easier".  But they're in a bind district wise unless they get some talent.  Even if they go back to the northern district...Ok so replace LM, HC, HS...with Kville, Wville, Coldspring, Buna....yeah good luck.  Better off where they are.  At least LM is falling apart (relatively speaking). 

Let's not talk about talent. If y'all remember, people use to say that HJ had no talent and it didn't matter who was the coach there. Now it's an expectation for HJ to make playoffs. It's not about the talent. It's about getting the kids to buy into a system.

14 hours ago, BlueOwl said:

Let's not talk about talent. If y'all remember, people use to say that HJ had no talent and it didn't matter who was the coach there. Now it's an expectation for HJ to make playoffs. It's not about the talent. It's about getting the kids to buy into a system.

The year that HJ had a great season (like 3 rounds deep) didn't they have several kids that played college ball?  Like Rice (D1)?

15 hours ago, BlueOwl said:

Of course they are expected to make the playoffs. There are only 5 teams in their district.

• 1 month later...