Jasper is open, then it isn't, then it is again, then it isn't again (for now)

dillonpanthers

2 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I heard this has something to do with baseball.  Not exactly sure.

I heard that, other sports as well.  Hard to explain "neglect" of the baseball program.  Sure, they lost Mixon but replaced him with very talented coaches in Robb Kirkland and then Stephen Westbrook.  And he oversaw the building of what was at the time, the only artificial turf baseball field in the area (which was used HEAVILY during the playoffs last year).

Don't know the situation here but I do know small town politics and I don't think  new supt would be doing this on his own in a brand new job in a brand new town. This is a big decision and one that is not going to be made without board backing. But then the board can hide behind the Supt and say "it is his decision and they are just being supportive and giving him a chance" ... something smells fishy for sure and it is more than just some new guy from out of town wanting his people

if someone in the media is reading this please file an Freedom of information request for all emails from the superintendent to Barbay with the words "baseball" in them  

Wow, from what I was told by a reliable source within the district is his lack of proper communication with his peers.  He had a very filthy mouth and used foul language all the time when communicating with the kids and his coaches.   He talked to his coaches like they were kids and didn't respect their decisions on and off the field.  He also has used foul language while communicating with several parents as well.  It appears that he has cussed the wrong person and now this is the results !!!!  The current JISD administration just feels this isn't healthy, so they have decided to move forward with a new AD/Head Coach.  Whether this was the case is yet to be known, but a reliable source within the district provided this information.  

Cussing?? Give me a brake! If that's the main reason for his removal then that answers any questions about the board/sup, maybe they should hit the 2 a days this year so they want be so soft and sensitive for the next coach in line....Good luck to the barbays wherever they go, and good luck to the Jasper athletics on finding the right guy for the job.

1 hour ago, BLUETIC99 said:

Wow, from what I was told by a reliable source within the district is his lack of proper communication with his peers.  He had a very filthy mouth and used foul language all the time when communicating with the kids and his coaches.   He talked to his coaches like they were kids and didn't respect their decisions on and off the field.  He also has used foul language while communicating with several parents as well.  It appears that he has cussed the wrong person and now this is the results !!!!  The current JISD administration just feels this isn't healthy, so they have decided to move forward with a new AD/Head Coach.  Whether this was the case is yet to be known, but a reliable source within the district provided this information.  

Okay, so he uses colorful language?  Well, guess what, that merely makes him a chip off of the old block as his dad, the late Curtis Barbay who many (including me) consider a Texas coaching legend, did the same.  Further, as I am sure many can attest to, the Barbays don't hold the patent nor the copyright on such language.  In fact, in most cases, the ability and willingness to use such language is not a character flaw among coaches, but a requirement.

The more "justifications" that come out of Jasper ISD, the more they appear to be not only incompetent, but untrustworthy.  It is a new trend that newly appointed Superintendents wish to bring in "their guys."  While it makes little sense to do so, it happens.  And if that is what Dr. Gerald Hudson was doing, which it appears as early as Friday that is what he was doing, then he should have manned up and stated so.  But he did the opposite, going on KJAS in Jasper and talking to The Enterprise yesterday denying that any decision on Coach Barbay's employment had been made, chalking up the word that got out on Friday as social media rumor gone wild.  Yet less than 12 hours transpired when he fired off a text message to the board president that Coach Barbay was going to be terminated, not even bothering to issue a press release as is customary and leaving it to the Jasper ISD board president who he texted to disclose the termination, reassignment or whatever you wish to call it.

Quite simply, if you take a look at the twitter activity and articles of David Thompson at the Beaumont Enterprise, as well as the twitter activity, broadcasts and articles at KJAS, you can come to only one reasonable conclusion.  That conclusion is that on Monday morning, Dr. Gerald Hudson, lied to the broadcasters at KJAS, lied to David Thompson at the Beaumont Enterprise, quite possibly lied to members of the Jasper ISD Board of Trustees, and, in doing so, lied to residents of the Jasper ISD.  Quite frankly, this breach of trust, regardless of the subject area, is unacceptable and Dr. Hudson should give serious consideration as whether it is proper for him to remain as superintendent.   But then again, that requires a conscience and Dr. Hudson's recent actions indicate that he may be severely lacking in that area.

I think Hudson is taking the fall for this but last Tuesday night at school board meeting it was voted on not to renew Barbeys contract.I will tell yaw what happened . A lot of people in Jasper wanted a certain coach in woodville to come back to Jasper after he got through coaching his daughter. I wanted him back also but him & Barbey butted heads & he wasn't coming back as long as Barbey was there. Now Barbey gone but I don't think baseball coach is coming back and be drug through all this mess . I blame the fireing on school board . I just hope they can find a coach up to Barbeys qualification.Lots of people is upset about this but they going to have to vote on school board elections and get certain people out of their.

6 hours ago, BLUETIC99 said:

Reliable source? Name em. I worked for this man and would gladly do so again. He may use a cuss word mow and then( who doesn't) but every kid we had would have run through a wall for him. As far as disrespectful comments or actions towards parents, i never saw that and would not believe it without seeing it with my own eyes. BIG MISTAKE jasper isd! Welcome back to the .500 club. 

8 hours ago, BLUETIC99 said:

Your "source" is grasping at straws to make this decision seem like a legitimate one. With the obvious kick back that this has caused they've got to come up with something they deem good. As someone close to the situation, I know for a fact, he lets his coaches do their job and for your "source" to say otherwise is ridiculous. 

8 hours ago, BLUETIC99 said:

This is the most asinine thing I have ever read. How can it be that he would be reassigned for these reasons with no prior warnings or rebuke on the issues you have stated? This is truly an excuse that is being circulated by those who are well aware of the fact that they have wronged the Barbay family. I was privileged to play for Coach Barbay for two years (one when he was an assistant, and then the first year he was hired as a HC). That was 16 years ago so he was quite a bit younger and I would assume he was quite a bit less refined. Even then he did not exude the attributes that this post has assigned to him, so I have no reason to believe that his character has degraded over the past 16 years. He took over that team before my senior year when most of us seniors felt like we had been abandoned. He made it clear early on that we were in good hands and that he was the right man for the job. He invested in each one of us and had a special place in his heart for the kids on our team who didn't get the support they should have from home. I personally watched him load groups of kids into his truck after practice and take them home because their parents didn't come pick them up. I watched him pick those same kids up at 6:00 am in the summer to make sure they had a ride to the field house to lift weights or participate in summer practices. I watched him make guys miss practice so they could work with their teachers to improve their grades. I've seen him imbed himself in a community and work to make it better. I watched him start a girls softball program and make himself the head coach. He coached softball for years and really enjoyed it! He did all of this while serving as the athletic director, the head football coach, and teaching classes. No one is perfect, and Coach Barbay surely isn't, but to remove him from this position in Jasper for absolutely no reason at all is an injustice that shouldn't be overlooked. This is not something that the community of Jasper should be proud of and if it were me, I would ensure that each board member who is serving now would not be serving any longer once their term ends. I cannot bring myself to root against the kids of JISD, but I will sure as heck root against those adults who have done this. I really hope they get Garrett Morgan-ed again because that is exactly what they deserve.

Barbays, on to bigger and better things. JISD has stolen a lot more from you than a job. This thing extends way beyond employment, but you guys are resilient and will bounce back. I am reminded of a phone call that I had with Coach Barbay right after he was hired as AD/HC at HD, and a few weeks after our previous head coach had left right before my senior year. He said to me:  "I know you are disappointed in the way things have transpired, but you can either cry about it and waste one of the best years of your life, or you can fight like hell to be better than you have ever been to prove that this team is as great as we know it is. And if you make the decision to fight, I promise you I'll be fighting right beside you." He is the kind of man that doesn't just encourage you to fight, but stands shoulder to shoulder with you in the battle. He has fought beside lots of us, and now it's our turn to fight beside him. #BackTheBarbays

8 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Okay, so he uses colorful language?  Well, guess what, that merely makes him a chip off of the old block as his dad, the late Curtis Barbay who many (including me) consider a Texas coaching legend, did the same.  Further, as I am sure many can attest to, the Barbays don't hold the patent nor the copyright on such language.  In fact, in most cases, the ability and willingness to use such language is not a character flaw among coaches, but a requirement.

The more "justifications" that come out of Jasper ISD, the more they appear to be not only incompetent, but untrustworthy.  It is a new trend that newly appointed Superintendents wish to bring in "their guys."  While it makes little sense to do so, it happens.  And if that is what Dr. Gerald Hudson was doing, which it appears as early as Friday that is what he was doing, then he should have manned up and stated so.  But he did the opposite, going on KJAS in Jasper and talking to The Enterprise yesterday denying that any decision on Coach Barbay's employment had been made, chalking up the word that got out on Friday as social media rumor gone wild.  Yet less than 12 hours transpired when he fired off a text message to the board president that Coach Barbay was going to be terminated, not even bothering to issue a press release as is customary and leaving it to the Jasper ISD board president who he texted to disclose the termination, reassignment or whatever you wish to call it.

Quite simply, if you take a look at the twitter activity and articles of David Thompson at the Beaumont Enterprise, as well as the twitter activity, broadcasts and articles at KJAS, you can come to only one reasonable conclusion.  That conclusion is that on Monday morning, Dr. Gerald Hudson, lied to the broadcasters at KJAS, lied to David Thompson at the Beaumont Enterprise, quite possibly lied to members of the Jasper ISD Board of Trustees, and, in doing so, lied to residents of the Jasper ISD.  Quite frankly, this breach of trust, regardless of the subject area, is unacceptable and Dr. Hudson should give serious consideration as whether it is proper for him to remain as superintendent.   But then again, that requires a conscience and Dr. Hudson's recent actions indicate that he may be severely lacking in that area.

If I were a resident of Jasper ISD I would demand Dr Hudson's resignation it's obvious this man flat out lied to everyone.

I have known Darrell Barbay a very long time and know that he is for all programs.  I have never seen or heard him "cuss someone" at all. That is b.s.!  Like all of us, a curse word slips sometimes but this is crap if that "reliable" source is saying that..  Mirrors, smokescreens, and deals done in darkness!  Coach Barbay will land on his feet while the muck of all this stays in Jasper.  Coach Barbay is one of the finest men that I know and one of the most passionate educators that I've ever seen. Big loss for Jasper!  

35 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

This is the most asinine thing I have ever read. How can it be that he would be reassigned for these reasons with no prior warnings or rebuke on the issues you have stated? This is truly an excuse that is being circulated by those who are well aware of the fact that they have wronged the Barbay family. I was privileged to play for Coach Barbay for two years (one when he was an assistant, and then the first year he was hired as a HC). That was 16 years ago so he was quite a bit younger and I would assume he was quite a bit less refined. Even then he did not exude the attributes that this post has assigned to him, so I have no reason to believe that his character has degraded over the past 16 years. He took over that team before my senior year when most of us seniors felt like we had been abandoned. He made it clear early on that we were in good hands and that he was the right man for the job. He invested in each one of us and had a special place in his heart for the kids on our team who didn't get the support they should have from home. I personally watched him load groups of kids into his truck after practice and take them home because their parents didn't come pick them up. I watched him pick those same kids up at 6:00 am in the summer to make sure they had a ride to the field house to lift weights or participate in summer practices. I watched him make guys miss practice so they could work with their teachers to improve their grades. I've seen him imbed himself in a community and work to make it better. I watched him start a girls softball program and make himself the head coach. He coached softball for years and really enjoyed it! He did all of this while serving as the athletic director, the head football coach, and teaching classes. No one is perfect, and Coach Barbay surely isn't, but to remove him from this position in Jasper for absolutely no reason at all is an injustice that shouldn't be overlooked. This is not something that the community of Jasper should be proud of and if it were me, I would ensure that each board member who is serving now would not be serving any longer once their term ends. I cannot bring myself to root against the kids of JISD, but I will sure as heck root against those adults who have done this. I really hope they get Garrett Morgan-ed again because that is exactly what they deserve.

Barbays, on to bigger and better things. JISD has stolen a lot more from you than a job. This thing extends way beyond employment, but you guys are resilient and will bounce back. I am reminded of a phone call that I had with Coach Barbay right after he was hired as AD/HC at HD, and a few weeks after our previous head coach had left right before my senior year. He said to me:  "I know you are disappointed in the way things have transpired, but you can either cry about it and waste one of the best years of your life, or you can fight like hell to be better than you have ever been to prove that this team is as great as we know it is. And if you make the decision to fight, I promise you I'll be fighting right beside you." He is the kind of man that doesn't just encourage you to fight, but stands shoulder to shoulder with you in the battle. He has fought beside lots of us, and now it's our turn to fight beside him. #BackTheBarbays

Well said!

Don't know much about Barbay other than my Dad played for his father @ Newton. Typically if you want to know about a coach, you get no better an interpretation of the man than to hear it straight from a former student or player of his! Though few may not realize it at the time, later in life they usually understand the purpose he played in their lives. I've heard my Dad recollect about playing for his Father Curtis Barbay all the time. Sounds like Jasper just ran off a Quality Football coach for no apparent reason!

It's interesting that Dr. Cammack, local orthodontist and fixture in the community, resigned as the announcer doing color commentary for over a decade for Jasper football games this morning. He's also an elected member of the school district board of trustees. All is not well in Jasper currently. Ugly mess.

I have known coach barbay for a very longtime,( going back to working summers in plants during college years). This guy has

football and winning in his DNA. JISD has bigger issues going on in my opinion. My guess is Super is not about athletics and does not understand how football is king in this area. Grades are # 1 but you take care of your HC/AD and he will build winning programs in all sports. he will land on his feet and build whatever program he is at into winners as well.

44 minutes ago, JB94 said:

All I can say is this folks...Anyone who is trying to lay this at the feet of the superintendent is clueless about the goings on in our community. But, this is social media where people like to guess and invent when they don't have the facts.

I kinda thought these sports forums were for posting opinions or as you say "invent" opinions. Please enlighten everyone to the "real" story so we won't be so clueless. I feel like I've contracted a disease or something lol.

1 hour ago, JB94 said:

All I can say is this folks...Anyone who is trying to lay this at the feet of the superintendent is clueless about the goings on in our community. But, this is social media where people like to guess and invent when they don't have the facts.

The point is the Super and school board president went on the radio and lied to the community. They knew full well what they planned to do and told everyone that "no decisions have been made". Bottom line, Super has a buddy that needs a job and he has arranged for a family to be sent into disarray in order to get his way. School board has a few members who wish to carry out their agendas and they don't care how it affects Coach Barbay, his wife, or his two daughters. It's absolutely classless and uncalled for. Like I said before, they will regret this decision for many years to come.

34 minutes ago, fishcat said:

I told you the school board voted not to renew his contract last week on a Tuesday night & they told Barbey last Friday his contract would not be renewed . 

Well, that's strange, the minutes of last week's meeting indicate no executive session nor action regarding any employee aside from the naming of Susie Taylor as interim Principal at Parnell Elementary:

This is the hidden content, please
(interestingly enough, a fact, not a "social media" invention)

Look, I have not been one of Darrell Barbay's biggest fans.  Many will probably recall the big swipes I took at him over his handling of the schedule particularly his refusal to schedule my alma mater when openings in the schedule were apparent. 

And I realize that we are in a era where, leaders of a district want "their guys."  I must say that it is very strange when a guy who has won nearly 70% of the games he has coached at the school is told he needs to leave, but that is today's world.  That being said, there is right way and a wrong way to go about this. And a superintendent lying to the voting public by saying that a decision has not been made when events show it had is NOT the right way.  And yes, he did do that:

This has now gone well beyond the dismissal of a coach.  This is a superintendent being deliberately deceptive about goings to the residents of that district.  If you are telling me that "what is going on in the community" "justifies" this manner of proceeding, then I truly fear for the children receiving an education in this school district.