Jasper is open, then it isn't, then it is again, then it isn't again (for now)

dillonpanthers

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

Grad,

Do you think that Hudson things the public outcry won't be 10X worse if he goes that route? I believe that this thing is working itself toward a resolution that allows Coach Barbay to remain at JISD for, at least, next year. I agree with you that I think this is far from over, but I think it at least buys him a year to be on people's radars for future jobs. The wisdom here would be for Coach Barbay to pursue other jobs and leave, but I do not think he will do that. I truly believe he loves that community and his concern is not for his own employment, but rather for the stability of his daughters. The tragedy in this entire situation is that those two girls are caught in the middle of it all. One is a freshman at Jasper High School and had to ensure a week of classes under the immense pressure that this situation has brought to her family. When the Barbays took the Jasper job, Coach Barbay stood at the board meetings and boldly told the crowd that both of his girls would graduate from Jasper High School. This was done to assure the town of Jasper that they were not a stepping stone for him, but rather the culmination of a journey back home. I believe he meant those words and I believe that he will stay is there is any way to stay. Not just for the girls, but for his mother, his wife, and the rest of his family that is in that area.

2wedge, while I share your hope, given the dealings of Dr. Gerald Hudson so far in this saga, I can't share your optimism. 

I have no doubt that Coach Barbay will do everything in his power to quell these "concerns" that Dr. Hudson has about his work as an AD.  Because you are right, he has SEVERAL real reasons to remain in Jasper, ranging from his family in Newton, to his girls, to his wife, who I understand also has significant ties to the Jasper community.  While all of us, in and outside of Jasper, acknowledge that, at this point it seems to matter little, if any, to Hudson.  And, yes, I am quite concerned that no matter what steps and what concessions Barbay makes, Hudson and whatever powers that may be driving this will deem it inadequate to relieve these mysterious and, as of yet, unsubstantiated concerns.

If I am wrong, and I hope that I am, good.  But I can't count on that being the case.

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I heard that he didn't agree to the Sup's terms that they discussed.  So...leaving?...

If that is ultimately the case, I think few if any folks here would be surprised (This is not a dispute of your account, oldschool, it is just that given the course of this saga thus far, things can be accurately described as "fluid").  Most accurately surmised that Hudson's statement, taken by some as confirmation that Coach Barbay's job was secure, was merely a ruse to accomplish what appear to be the desired result for Jasper ISD administration, being Coach Barbay's departure.  If it is found that Coach Barbay didn't agree to terms given by Hudson, I am sure that we will find that those terms were literally impossible for anyone to agree to in good conscience. 

2 years is a good number.  My guess is that during that time, Barbay supporters are going to flush out the board members that are driving this issue and work to replace them thru the election process.  That needs to happen.  I am embarrassed for the Jasper community.  A weak supt and a rogue board need to be replaced.

37 minutes ago, PANTHERMAN said:

2 years is a good number.  My guess is that during that time, Barbay supporters are going to flush out the board members that are driving this issue and work to replace them thru the election process.  That needs to happen.  I am embarrassed for the Jasper community.  A weak supt and a rogue board need to be replaced.

This is what needs to happen. The community needs to use this time that has been afforded to them to ensure that the problems are eliminated going forward.

This is one the single dumbest things I have ever seen inside the coaching profession in my 20 years of doing this. To have leaders of the school go on to local radio plus the newspaper and publicly state he was staying, then the next day say he's leaving then ultimately give him a 2 year contract extension is the definition of poor organizational management. All I've got to say is, Run Coach, run away!!! Run like the wind and don't look back. You and your family don't deserve this treatment.

On 2/24/2017 at 11:39 AM, dillonpanthers said:

If I were him I'd be trying to get the Marshall or Chapel Hill job. Now. 

Glad things worked out for Barbay for now but Marshall wouldn't be the place to go as I'm fairly sure that the Superintendent (Gibson) that ran his brother (Bryan Barbay) out of Coldspring a couple years back is calling the shots there....

I can't imagine why the folks in Jasper aren't screaming for Hudson's head.  He's lied to the press and to the community.  I'd think his actions during this Keystone Cop episode would be grounds for dismissal.  And since the Board hasn't reacted to it, it suggest that some of them are in on this stinking mess.  As often happens, several of them them must think they know more about football than Barbay does.  Jmo, fellas, you don't.