Jasper is open, then it isn't, then it is again, then it isn't again (for now)

dillonpanthers

6 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, that's strange, the minutes of last week's meeting indicate no executive session nor action regarding any employee aside from the naming of Susie Taylor as interim Principal at Parnell Elementary:

This is the hidden content, please
(interestingly enough, a fact, not a "social media" invention)

Look, I have not been one of Darrell Barbay's biggest fans.  Many will probably recall the big swipes I took at him over his handling of the schedule particularly his refusal to schedule my alma mater when openings in the schedule were apparent. 

And I realize that we are in a era where, leaders of a district want "their guys."  I must say that it is very strange when a guy who has won nearly 70% of the games he has coached at the school is told he needs to leave, but that is today's world.  That being said, there is right way and a wrong way to go about this. And a superintendent lying to the voting public by saying that a decision has not been made when events show it had is NOT the right way.  And yes, he did do that:

This has now gone well beyond the dismissal of a coach.  This is a superintendent being deliberately deceptive about goings to the residents of that district.  If you are telling me that "what is going on in the community" "justifies" this manner of proceeding, then I truly fear for the children receiving an education in this school district.

What makes this even worse is that it's on record for everyone to listen to that the superintendent lied. 

30 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, that's strange, the minutes of last week's meeting indicate no executive session nor action regarding any employee aside from the naming of Susie Taylor as interim Principal at Parnell Elementary:

(interestingly enough, a fact, not a "social media" invention)

Look, I have not been one of Darrell Barbay's biggest fans.  Many will probably recall the big swipes I took at him over his handling of the schedule particularly his refusal to schedule my alma mater when openings in the schedule were apparent. 

And I realize that we are in a era where, leaders of a district want "their guys."  I must say that it is very strange when a guy who has won nearly 70% of the games he has coached at the school is told he needs to leave, but that is today's world.  That being said, there is right way and a wrong way to go about this. And a superintendent lying to the voting public by saying that a decision has not been made when events show it had is NOT the right way.  And yes, he did do that:

This has now gone well beyond the dismissal of a coach.  This is a superintendent being deliberately deceptive about goings to the residents of that district.  If you are telling me that "what is going on in the community" "justifies" this manner of proceeding, then I truly fear for the children receiving an education in this school district.

I saw that and the meeting was Monday not Tuesday.

Jasper Independent School District Superintendent Dr. Gerald B. Hudson announced on Thursday afternoon that he and Jasper High School Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Darrell Barbay have entered into "negotiations towards a long-term commitment that would allow Coach Barbay to remain as Jasper ISD's Athletic Director/Head Coach".

In the press release issued shortly before 4:00, Dr. Hudson went on to say "Coach Barbay, myself and the Board of Trustees agree that there are changes that need to occur in order for all of Jasper ISD's athletic programs to perform at their best".

This all began on Friday afternoon when a Golden Triangle sports website announced that Barbay had been terminated. This was followed by nearly 24 hours of silence from the leadership at Jasper ISD, until Board Member Tom Webb on Saturday went on the record and said that Barbay had not been terminated, and had not resigned.

This situation gets weirder and weirder.  At about 3:30 this afternoon, Jasper ISD sent a letter to it personnel that "Dr. Hudson, the board of trustees and Coach Barbay are working on a long term solution" for Coach Barbay to remain at Jasper.

So, according to a letter from Jasper ISD, it appears that he is staying.

7 minutes ago, jdog90 said:

Jasper Independent School District Superintendent Dr. Gerald B. Hudson announced on Thursday afternoon that he and Jasper High School Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Darrell Barbay have entered into "negotiations towards a long-term commitment that would allow Coach Barbay to remain as Jasper ISD's Athletic Director/Head Coach".

In the press release issued shortly before 4:00, Dr. Hudson went on to say "Coach Barbay, myself and the Board of Trustees agree that there are changes that need to occur in order for all of Jasper ISD's athletic programs to perform at their best".

This all began on Friday afternoon when a Golden Triangle sports website announced that Barbay had been terminated. This was followed by nearly 24 hours of silence from the leadership at Jasper ISD, until Board Member Tom Webb on Saturday went on the record and said that Barbay had not been terminated, and had not resigned.

I really like KJAS' assertion of the "Golden Triangle sports website" starting all of this.

7 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

He's going to go Fedora on them... and they deserve it. 

He would certainly be justified in doing so.  However, the question Darrell Barbay  may have to ask is does he want to be a head coach in this area in 2017?  If so, staying in Jasper (if a "long term" commitment is worked out) might be his best opportunity for that to happen.

Probably by early next week, the only vacant head coaching position in the area left will be Central's.

On 2/18/2017 at 8:56 AM, AHUDDLESTON said:

Hudson probably knew that he was gonna get run out of Jasper at the first opportunity (and he probably still will), so he's doing the right thing by working out an extension with Barbay. Personally, I think Darrell should tell them to kick rocks, but he truly wants to be in Jasper and that's good for everyone involved. 

Mr. Huddleston - I tried to get rid of your box, but the site wouldn't do it....

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Can anybody think of a more poorly-handled coaching situation than this one?

Yes and no.  What I mean by that is that popular and/or successful coaches are dismissed.  An example close to Coach Barbay happened in Coldspring a few years back when his brother Bryan, was removed as head coach/AD even though he had the Trojans deep into the playoffs yearly (usually with one of the smaller student populations in the Class).

What certainly separates this from those is, as Coach Huddleston has noted, the public proclamations of Dr. Hudson which appear belied by his private statements and communications.  In fact, there appears to be a trend developing in which Dr. Hudson goes public with denials that Coach Barbay is being dismissed only when facing vocal opposition from the students or public of the Jasper ISD.  This is chronicled pretty well in the latest KJAS.com article:

On Monday, on the heels of a student walkout to protest Barbay's dismissal on Friday according to a BEVY of reliable sources, Hudson takes to the airwaves of KJAS to denounce the news of Barbay's dismissal as the rumor mill gone wild and states categorically that Coach Barbay is still the AD/HC for Jasper ISD.  As the tide of opposition receeds as the Enterprise and other media dismiss the news as unfounded rumor, Hudson, feeling that the wolves have left the door, fires off an e-mail to Board President Lequin Hildebrandt that he does indeed plan to remove Barbay as HC/AD at Jasper and that March 20th would be his last day.  I suspect that Hudson never intended the contents of that e-mail to be made public.

This, of course, brought the media back to the doors of the Jasper ISD, none to happy that they are now having to report Barbay's apparent dismissal just one day after assuring the listening and reading public that word of his dismissal is unfounded rumor.  Also back at the door of the Jasper ISD is a very angry public who is now real upset as spoken word has now been matched with written one.  And folks organize a rally at the Jasper ISD administration building which was scheduled to take place this morning.  With the wolves, back at the door, Hudson feels compelled to fired off this omnibus memo which he states his intention to "negotiate" with Coach Barbay about a long term commitment.  This satisfies the wolves, who cancel the rally.

Many have taken Hudson's latest statement that Coach Barbay will remain.  I take it as setting the stage for Hudson being able to carry through the intentions he noted in his e-mail to Hildebrandt and, even more sinister, being able to lay that action at the feet of the vanquished Coach Barbay.

This ain't done yet, folks.  It is far from it.

57 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Yes and no.  What I mean by that is that popular and/or successful coaches are dismissed.  An example close to Coach Barbay happened in Coldspring a few years back when his brother Bryan, was removed as head coach/AD even though he had the Trojans deep into the playoffs yearly (usually with one of the smaller student populations in the Class).

What certainly separates this from those is, as Coach Huddleston has noted, the public proclamations of Dr. Hudson which appear belied by his private statements and communications.  In fact, there appears to be a trend developing in which Dr. Hudson goes public with denials that Coach Barbay is being dismissed only when facing vocal opposition from the students or public of the Jasper ISD.  This is chronicled pretty well in the latest KJAS.com article:

On Monday, on the heels of a student walkout to protest Barbay's dismissal on Friday according to a BEVY of reliable sources, Hudson takes to the airwaves of KJAS to denounce the news of Barbay's dismissal as the rumor mill gone wild and states categorically that Coach Barbay is still the AD/HC for Jasper ISD.  As the tide of opposition receeds as the Enterprise and other media dismiss the news as unfounded rumor, Hudson, feeling that the wolves have left the door, fires off an e-mail to Board President Lequin Hildebrandt that he does indeed plan to remove Barbay as HC/AD at Jasper and that March 20th would be his last day.  I suspect that Hudson never intended the contents of that e-mail to be made public.

This, of course, brought the media back to the doors of the Jasper ISD, none to happy that they are now having to report Barbay's apparent dismissal just one day after assuring the listening and reading public that word of his dismissal is unfounded rumor.  Also back at the door of the Jasper ISD is a very angry public who is now real upset as spoken word has now been matched with written one.  And folks organize a rally at the Jasper ISD administration building which was scheduled to take place this morning.  With the wolves, back at the door, Hudson feels compelled to fired off this omnibus memo which he states his intention to "negotiate" with Coach Barbay about a long term commitment.  This satisfies the wolves, who cancel the rally.

Many have taken Hudson's latest statement that Coach Barbay will remain.  I take it as setting the stage for Hudson being able to carry through the intentions he noted in his e-mail to Hildebrandt and, even more sinister, being able to lay that action at the feet of the vanquished Coach Barbay.

You are 100% correct in your last few sentences.  I thought this exact same thing before you said it.  This is an attempt to quiet the Barbay supporters at his door and shift the blame for Barbay dismissal onto Barbay.  It will read something like, "Coach Barbay was not agreeable to the long-term commitment to ALL athletic programs.  After much negotiation and with a heavy heart, both sides have decided that a change in AD is in everyone's best interest".  Total BS.  WOSgrad is correct.  This is far from over.

25 minutes ago, geep06 said:

Think there are more involved than just the superintendent in all this.

It certainly can't be discounted that Hudson is fulfilling the will of either the board of trustees or other forces in Jasper.  And you being in the Jasper area probably know more of those goings on.

It is just that at this point, the only person in the situation (that we know of anyway) who has set out written evidence of a decision and has yet publicly denied that decision is Hudson.

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

Grad,

Do you think that Hudson things the public outcry won't be 10X worse if he goes that route? I believe that this thing is working itself toward a resolution that allows Coach Barbay to remain at JISD for, at least, next year. I agree with you that I think this is far from over, but I think it at least buys him a year to be on people's radars for future jobs. The wisdom here would be for Coach Barbay to pursue other jobs and leave, but I do not think he will do that. I truly believe he loves that community and his concern is not for his own employment, but rather for the stability of his daughters. The tragedy in this entire situation is that those two girls are caught in the middle of it all. One is a freshman at Jasper High School and had to ensure a week of classes under the immense pressure that this situation has brought to her family. When the Barbays took the Jasper job, Coach Barbay stood at the board meetings and boldly told the crowd that both of his girls would graduate from Jasper High School. This was done to assure the town of Jasper that they were not a stepping stone for him, but rather the culmination of a journey back home. I believe he meant those words and I believe that he will stay is there is any way to stay. Not just for the girls, but for his mother, his wife, and the rest of his family that is in that area.