Hogs

bullets13

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Who-Knows? said:

What do you guys do with them after shooting them?  My son wants to go hog hunting some time..

We clean them...I prefer the meat to deer.

Rather than try to take the whole hide off like deer, we cut it in strips about 4-6 inches wide with a gut hook.  Comes off a lot better, especially if they cool off.

It makes great sausage (we still mix with pork because its lean)  and the small ones (less than 30 lbs) we'll either spit in half or quarter them and smoke them on the pit.

Larger boars are left where they fall (unless under the feeder) :)

8 hours ago, Who-Knows? said:

What do you guys do with them after shooting them?  My son wants to go hog hunting some time..

Eat them.  I've got a buddy with a lower standard of table fare than I have who gets all my boars, and the sows when I don't have the time or desire to clean one.  He and his family can use the help, so it works out good for me and for him.  

7 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

We clean them...I prefer the meat to deer.

Rather than try to take the whole hide off like deer, we cut it in strips about 4-6 inches wide with a gut hook.  Comes off a lot better, especially if they cool off.

It makes great sausage (we still mix with pork because its lean)  and the small ones (less than 30 lbs) we'll either spit in half or quarter them and smoke them on the pit.

Larger boars are left where they fall (unless under the feeder) :)

I'm not sure that I prefer the meat to deer, but I definitely prefer it over store bought pork.