Name 5 HS Basketball Rules that Drive Fans Crazy

30 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

This thread should be changed to "Top 5 things fans SCREAM that drive ME crazy.  Or anyone else that actually knows basketball.

This one that you mentioned ^ is far and away one of the biggest reasons I can't stand going to high school basketball games.  When I hear/see someone yell "OVER THE BACK!" I literally want to walk up to them and slap them in the face.  Yes...no such call.  It's either a push, or nothing.  I can't stand that people don't realize when position isn't established in rebounding then it is literally a jump ball.  And someone can legally jump higher than or over another player and grab a rebound as long as contact isn't made.

My biggest pet peeve for sure.  Another one for me is when a referee calls traveling on a kid that does a Euro step.   

Oh.. and almost forgot.  "FOLLOW YOUR SHOT!"  Yeah that one drives me crazy too.  1st...what chance do you think a kid has of making a jumpshot if they literally sprint to the rim after release?.. 2nd...If you suck so bad at shooting that you know you need to run to the rim to get the rebound... Then you don't need to be shooting.  Sorry not sorry. 

Then you would also have "He is reaching" like it's illegal to reach into someone's personal space for the ball.  

9 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

This thread should be changed to "Top 5 things fans SCREAM that drive ME crazy.  Or anyone else that actually knows basketball.

This one that you mentioned ^ is far and away one of the biggest reasons I can't stand going to high school basketball games.  When I hear/see someone yell "OVER THE BACK!" I literally want to walk up to them and slap them in the face.  Yes...no such call.  It's either a push, or nothing.  I can't stand that people don't realize when position isn't established in rebounding then it is literally a jump ball.  And someone can legally jump higher than or over another player and grab a rebound as long as contact isn't made.

My biggest pet peeve for sure.  Another one for me is when a referee calls traveling on a kid that does a Euro step.   

Oh.. and almost forgot.  "FOLLOW YOUR SHOT!"  Yeah that one drives me crazy too.  1st...what chance do you think a kid has of making a jumpshot if they literally sprint to the rim after release?.. 2nd...If you suck so bad at shooting that you know you need to run to the rim to get the rebound... Then you don't need to be shooting.  Sorry not sorry.

That's another good one.  While I understand the sentiment to an extent (the shooter should be the first one to know if a shot is clearly off or not and where it is off), you make a good point about the accuracy of a shooter who is sprinting to the rim on release.  

This one has also peeved me in the past.  I was watching on of these summer league games where schools play each other.  Due to UIL rules, typically a dad or someone close to the coach is coaching the team.  I observed one of these dad-types yelling at a kid to follow his shot when a 3 was taken from the top of the key.   Meanwhile, and predictably, this team was getting torched on fast breaks due to having no one back on defense.  When I explained (politely) after the game that a shooter at that spot can't follow his shot because he has "floor balance" responsibility, I could tell I might as well have been speaking Mandarin Chinese...

A player shot his second free-throw. Hit the backboard next to the top left corner of the square (no rim whatsoever). Ref did not blow the whistle for a dead ball. The opposing team puts it back in and scores. I told him "that's a dead ball. It's got to hit rim." His response:  "As long as it hits the backboard, it's still in play." Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure it has to hit the rim. At least in any game I have ever coached in.

3 hours ago, jhizzle said:

A player shot his second free-throw. Hit the backboard next to the top left corner of the square (no rim whatsoever). Ref did not blow the whistle for a dead ball. The opposing team puts it back in and scores. I told him "that's a dead ball. It's got to hit rim." His response:  "As long as it hits the backboard, it's still in play." Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure it has to hit the rim. At least in any game I have ever coached in.

You are correct.  It has to hit the rim.

15 minutes ago, Razor said:

The kicked ball interpretation drives me nuts, but what bothers me the most is a rule that is not in place....put a dang shot clock of some type into the HS game...even if it's a dang minute, something, please!

This should be one of the easier ones.  Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot.  Many times it hits the leg or foot of the player and people are wanting a kicked ball, but it has to be intentional for it to be illegal.

As a ref, I don't want the shot clock....  (we like the stall)
As a parent/fan I agree that a shot clock of 35 or 40 seconds would be good.

Yep, fans yell for a kick anytime a ball touches a player below the knee and it drives me nuts...lol...on the other hand, I have seen some refs call it a kick ball when it isn't intentional and that bothers me just as much.

As for the shot clock, I am speaking purely from a fan perspective...sure does make for some boring basketball

25 minutes ago, DHSPiratesBaseball said:

I thought it was illegal to smack the backboard ??

If I'm not mistaken I thought it also counts as goal tending. You're shaking the backboard to make sure the ball doesn't go in. I've seen one ref call it, but no other refs. 

I read something about this not too long ago.  And if I remember right it is a judgement call.  If you hit the backboard I. The act of trying to make a block, no call.  But if it is deemed you did it without that purpose it is illegal. Someone can correct me if that is wrong but I think that's what I read.

the other part of that is a block when the ball has hit the backboard.  I would like to know the correct call on this.  Have read it that it may be different at different levels, high school, pro etc.