Was Punishment to Hard on Devin Mccain

BADSANTA

3 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

If it was a white kid would you have the same feeling? What about to kid from BC with the Internet racist post? The QB from Celina? The kid who threw the 1st punch got 1 game. 

yes.  when the topic of the celina qb came up it was pretty unanimous across the board he should've been out for a long while.  that being said, the difference between what he did and what McCain did is that what McCain did could literally kill somebody.  now obviously that was not his intent, but to throw a haymaker from behind at someone much smaller than you who has no idea you're there is beyond dangerous.  As for the kid who threw the punch getting one game, he was involved in a fight with someone who was fighting back.  1 game is too light, IMO, but his situation and McCain's have zero correlation, and can't be compared. 

3 minutes ago, SLD2012 said:

Really!!?? We are talking about a kids life (future) not his livelihood. The school has made a decision rather we like it or not it is what it is. The thing to do now is to help him not make decisions like this OFF the court. Devon is a very smart kid and basketball is his free education ride in my eye's. He will bounce back and I pray a better young man than he's obviously shown lately. He has accepted his punishment and is moving forward to become a better person how about trying to forgive him and help him along the way.

I agree, but lets not coddle him either by disagreeing publicly with the punishment, nor throw a pep rally.

The encouragement and support should be done in private manners.  Talking to him about decision making comes from face to face convos with whom he is close to and respects.  A pep rally isn't going to do any of that.

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

The school is not holding the rally. They are allowing folks to be on campus after hours to hold rally. It is not a school run event.

I do not see a difference. If they are allowing a "pep" rally for a player being punished I do not feel this is a step in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Just my 2 cents..  It's not the UIL's business to step in and decide how a school district carries out something in their athletic policy.  Just saying.  

Not only your two cents, but I think also the state of the law.  The UIL does not have jurisdiction to intervene in a individual ISD's decision based upon its Code of Conduct.

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

The school is not holding the rally. They are allowing folks to be on campus after hours to hold rally. It is not a school run event.

by them allowing it to happen on school grounds is just as bad.....there is no difference cause its still connecting the school to it.  Someone in power said "YES" you can have this event here and that "YES" means they approve of the Rally.

RESPECT LOST

Let's please not play the race card on this. Black or white, wrong is wrong. I think we can all agree that the offender was wrong. When you do that, you lose your rights and have to accept whatever the punishment is. Let's hope for the kid's sake that it's a lesson learned the hard way and hope the kid at LCM is okay.

For everyone on here that is upset with this punishment put the shoe on the other foot! if that was your child then the punishment wouldn't be harsh enough. Im sure Devon is very apologetic for his actions and I respect him for giving his public apology but at some point kids have to realize that athletics are not mandatory but simply a reward for being a good student and a person of god character.  Hopefully he understands the magnitude and severity of his actions. Its better to understand that every action has a consequence now.

51 minutes ago, Trojan 87 said:

A public assault deserves a public apology in my opinion - but at a minimum it should be done in private. I see a lot of folks on here concerned about Devon. The kid from LCM not so much.

Devon issued an apology to Tyreke Brown and to LCM on Twitter yesterday morning.

1 hour ago, Who That said:

I have heard now the UIL is saying Devons punishment is to harsh.! Should be out a few games but not the rest of the year. 

The UIL does not set the punishment anyway.  I don't care who you are, how good you are, but you pull some crap like that in a game, you should be done.  I have been a head coach before and if he was on my team and did that, he would have to move to play ball again.  There is no room for that in sports.  Just play the game,and let the scoreboard do the talking. 

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Silbee's gonna Silsbee. 

So we should say Bridge City's gonna Bridge City with what happened in football? I was disgusted by that whole ordeal but was very vocal in that didn't represent the community of BC. I don't have a problem with a community having a rally for the team and letting a kid know they still love and support him.  Part of what he should learn from all this anyway imo.   And don't know why anyone else would even care...

3 hours ago, aTmfan06 said:

I'm not just going off the video. I know LCM started it. I'm going off eye witness accounts that include people from Silsbee and LCM. Also I know he is a great kid. But kids make mistakes and have to be held accountable or they won't learn anything and think they can get away with anything.

I've seen the video.  The first blow in this entire ordeal was Jordyn Adams' open hand to the LCM kids face.  It's clear to see in the entire video that the Silsbee people want so badly to be shown.  Crystal clear.  I hope it's posted to so people will be honest about what happened.  With that said, THEY ARE ALL IN THE WRONG!  Nobody had to throw a punch and they all chose to do so. 

Silsbee is not an entire town of horrible people and neither is Little Cypress.  Both are far from it.  Several children, one in particular, made bad decisions.  Now they themselves, their teams, and their fans will suffer the consequences of those poor choices.  That is the real world and it's time for all involved to accept it and move on. 

2 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

This is a rally to protest the punishment issued. Hope it stays peaceful.

In my opinion this is a mistake and I fail to see how it will help this situation. If nothing is done those attending rally will be angry, if punishment is changed it undermines the system in a whole. The only thing this rally will accomplish is more divide among the area. 

1 minute ago, MoFo said:

In my opinion this is a mistake and I fail to see how it will help this situation. If nothing is done those attending rally will be angry, if punishment is changed it undermines the system in a whole. The only thing this rally will accomplish is more divide among the area. 

I completely agree.

3 minutes ago, MoFo said:

I am right there with you.

1 hour ago, undiscovered said:

BadSanta what do you care more about a state championship or a kid getting back on the right track so he can make something of himself? You seem to be into this for your own selfish reasons, you didn't get a ring so you're living vicariously through these kids. They're kids they have so much more in life to accomplish than a state championship, and you even said yourself to a WOS poster "I hope that's not the highlight of his life" when regarding his nephew's state championship rings. So I know you understand that there is a bigger picture out there. Plus let's not assume that all of a sudden a state championship is out of reach, this is still historically one of if not the best Silsbee teams to ever put on a uniform with or without Devon. If you care as much about this kid as you say you do I think that (1) You'd want him to go through a punishment that will change him for the best and make him a better person, or (2) at least spell his name correctly.

Are u serious lol!!! I'm in Atlanta on a business trip flying back to Houston. High school sports isn't my main concern. It's definitely not the highlight of my life. Maybe being promoted 6x in 4 years at my job. Maybe getting married. Maybe owning several properties in Houston. Or maybe helping my wife get a PHD. High school sports surely isn't the highlight of my 37 years of living. 

The kid messed up along with the others involved but the barbaric nature of his blow is what has people so stirred up. Accept the punishment and in my eyes your slate is clean. I was disgusted with what Michael Vick had done with the dog fighting, but the man stepped up took his lumps and to this day I remain a fan not only of the athlete but of the man he became. 

1 hour ago, MoFo said:

I saw the BC video also it is a no doubter. 

I was and still am all about this kid getting his punishment along with every other kid on that floor that was involved. Punishment has been dealt and in my book when punishment is served the kid has a clean slate. I hope he learns from this and has a successful career from there on out.  

He along with the town can grow from this incident or opt to let it drag them down, the very near future will tell us which way this will go.

that may be your best post I have ever dad.

Silsbee really needs to clean up the way they're guards play......

I said this weeks ago, but everyone seems to not understand or know what I was referring to.  This type of play by their guards has been consistent "hand checking to the face".  FYI...Silsbee's gurads are too good for this type of play.

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

So we should say Bridge City's gonna Bridge City with what happened in football? I was disgusted by that whole ordeal but was very vocal in that didn't represent the community of BC. I don't have a problem with a community having a rally for the team and letting a kid know they still love and support him.  Part of what he should learn from all this anyway imo.   And don't know why anyone else would even care...

Right. Because that's what you do when your team screws up. Throw a party?

Nobody from BC was protesting or publicly defending our kids' action. And I might add that the act of posting an offensive meme is a far cry from the brutal assault we all watched #3 commit on his unsuspecting victim. 

The fact that the team is tweeting #nodevonnotigers and the community is rallying to support the team and their thuggish behaviors two days after a game was ended early after a brawl involving the whole team indicates to me that the problem at Silsbee at is not just "a kid making a bad decision," but rather another example of this particular community condoning terrible, and sometimes criminal behavior from its student ath-o-letes.