Was Punishment to Hard on Devin Mccain

BADSANTA

Was not too far if the reports of 2 other instances are true. Anyone can make a bad decision once. However, you still have to deal with the punishment, but multiple occasions is a pattern. If you truly care about the young man like you claim you do, you wouldn't be worried about too much punishment. You would be glad it wasn't too little. Instead you are concerned with the rest of your teams season. 

I don't feel that it was.  From what I have read, and strictly going off of that, there seems to be some sort of pattern with this type of behavior.  There is no place for fighting in sport, and absolutely no justification for what he did.  Maybe the coach should have dealt with the other incidences I read about a little more firmly.  Again, if the other acts took place, absolutely justifiable punishment.

9 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

No it wasn't. And the fact the that I've seen reports of Silsbee having a community pep rally over the issue just baffles me. If this was just a random player that wasn't arguably the best on the team then there wouldn't be a huge uproar about it.

If this is true, that is just flat out absurd.

30 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

I feel it was myself. I think 5 games and maybe 50 hours of commun5servicd and a public apologize would be proper. I think the district took it too far. This is just my opinion. I have seen kids get do worst and get less. 

Really? Do you have an example? I would hate to see what could possibly have been worse than singling (sp?) a kid out with his back turned and trying a punch a hole through the back of his head. That was borderline barbaric. 

Sidenote: Would have been interesting to see if he would've received the suspension from the rest season if he was a senior on this team. I think however that Silsbee has handled this extremely well.

He was suspended for the remainder of the season, including the playoffs.  

I think 5 games is too convenient.  He would come back right before the regional tournament.  I don't think that proves the severity of what he did.  I think the district was appropriate with this punishment.  Defending yourself in an altercation is one thing.  Completely blindsiding a defenseless person is another.  I still think he will be lucky if charges aren't pressed.  Not saying I would, but there are plenty of people who would look into it.

If you don't see a problem with sucker punching an unexpecting, defenseless victim, then you will say the punishment to the Silsbee player is too harsh.  The same people that think this punishment is too harsh usually are not repulsed by head-stomping an unconscious person at the end of a fight.  I love a good fight as much as anyone, believe me.  But what is considered acceptable has changed dramatically, especially with the younger generations.  This punishment seems appropriate to me and I am one who has punched and been punched many times in my life.  If you've known "bad" people, then it is easy to tell that Devon is NOT a bad kid.  I hope he learns from this and does nothing but great things from here on out.  A lot of that will depend on those closest to him right now and in the future.  

2 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

If it was a white kid would you have the same feeling? What about to kid from BC with the Internet racist post? The QB from Celina? The kid who threw the 1st punch got 1 game. 

A internet racist remark and sucker punching a player definitely aren't the same. If it was just a random bench player then no one would make a big deal about the punishment being to harsh. Typical someone would pull the race card . Also I bet this thread doesn't make another hour and it will be locked lol

6 minutes ago, Who That said:

You didn't see the hole video . You only saw what they wanted you to see.! To harsh. And all they folks talking about this kid let me tell you all this about him doing this and that on the court just a bunch of lies. He is a great kid. Silsbee did not start the fight LCM DID. 

I'm not just going off the video. I know LCM started it. I'm going off eye witness accounts that include people from Silsbee and LCM. Also I know he is a great kid. But kids make mistakes and have to be held accountable or they won't learn anything and think they can get away with anything.

Mccain did NOT have to leave the bench to do what he did. His life was not in no type of danger. He took it upon hisself to sneak up on a young man who was minding his business not even involved in the altercation to lay a cheap shot on him. If he was playing for WOS i know for a FACT Coach Thompson wouldn't allow him to play another sport there. Just because he's one of the top players doesn't give him special treatments