Hardin-Jefferson 51 Tarkington 44/FINAL

WOSgrad

2 hours ago, Barney Fife said:

schedule wouldn't permit me to make this one! I thought it would have been a lop sided victory with HJ blowing this one open. I guess Tarkington plays much better at home than they do on the road. or did HJ not play well ? anyone know?

HJ missing top scorer.  Held an 18 point lead most of the night.  Tarkington ignited by one player hitting 3 consecutive threes

Playoffs don't start Tuesday. Their last district game is Tuesday against Liberty. The comment about the officials was spot on. I have seen every JV game this year and with the exception of a couple the officiating has been borderline comical. The 2 coaches from Tarkington were pretty darn good. HJ had a comfortable lead last night for just about the entire game with the spread being around 20 points for most of the night. Tarkington hit some late 3's and the Hawks had a little trouble late at the FT line. I think they will be at full strength and healthy going in to the playoffs. On a different note does anyone know how the young man is who got hurt at the end of the JV game? He took a pretty good fall and looked to possibly have a concussion.

30 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Playoffs don't start Tuesday. Their last district game is Tuesday against Liberty. The comment about the officials was spot on. I have seen every JV game this year and with the exception of a couple the officiating has been borderline comical. The 2 coaches from Tarkington were pretty darn good. HJ had a comfortable lead last night for just about the entire game with the spread being around 20 points for most of the night. Tarkington hit some late 3's and the Hawks had a little trouble late at the FT line. I think they will be at full strength and healthy going in to the playoffs. On a different note does anyone know how the young man is who got hurt at the end of the JV game? He took a pretty good fall and looked to possibly have a concussion.

My understanding is that he did have a concussion and that a parent came to Tarkington and took him home

2 hours ago, whsalum said:

I agree the coaches did as well if not better. I've seen "bad calls" in years past, it happens, but it had an air of professionalism. This year it's a whole new level of goofy. In the varsity game an official took his whistle out and explained a non call to a player while he was dribbling a live ball, leaned over to him from a distance, haven't seen that since little dribblers. I don't have a problem with officials talking to players, it was just so odd the way it went down. Two or three times this year I've seen a time-out "awarded" when it wasn't called, just a coach shouting out a play call. This is where somebody says "if you don't like the way they do it put on a uni and do it yourself"....nope, didn't sign up for that, don't get paid for that. It's a paying gig, not volunteer. They can't be perfect but they can be professional, somewhat consistent, and unemotional about it. I think the coaches were those things even though I was a little worried one of them might fall out, I think he was all right afterward though.

Hope the young man that was injured makes a speedy recovery.

Some officiating calls are always subjective and half the people will feel they got it wrong. One that comes to mind is the block/charge. It's the toughest call in basketball. What's not subjective is mechanics and appearance. In years past these were the first two things taught and they were gone over during every evaluation. We have some really good officials in the area but we also have some that need to get in front of the mirror and check out there mechanics.