Silsbee 2 Little Cypress-Mauriceville 0/FINAL

WOSgrad

Ok I was about as close to this incident as you anyone.  Our player was posting up under the basket, the LCM defender was constantly pushing and shoving him.  This happened for 2 possessions and I can say I didn't see it but was told that player put his knee up under ours while he was in the air trying to cause him to fall.  Our player did react with a push to the LCM player in the face.  At that point our layer had his back towards him. That player came back swinging punches at our player. At that point they ended up in the corner of the gym and the benches cleared.  As far as the twitter war of words, I know one went on because I read about it on some posts this morning.  Whether it was LCM players, fans or students I don't know.  

As far as how the game was going,  LCM was putting up a fight but only playing 6 or 7 players.  They were getting tired and the Tigers were starting to pull away. Would it have been a big blowout....we will never know.

i liked TxHoops earlier post.  What I hope my Tigers learn from this is that every team they face is going to have 2 things we need to be aware of and ready to deal with.  1.  They are going to get frustrated with facing a team that pressures them as much as we do, and sooner or later are likely to react in a negative way.  And 2.Teams are going to try to get us out of game any way they can.  Head games , mouthing, on twitter before the game or pushing and shoving ny chance they get.  

Guys you have a bigger goal that is attainable but we have to keep it together to get there.  I can't blame anyone for defending their family and I know you guys look at each other as family.  But on that court you have to stay composed and keep your cool.  Try not to react.  Beat these teams on the court where it counts.  Send them home with a loss and you come home with a smile.  

Now put this behind you,  accept the consequences and strive even harder to attain your goals!

11 minutes ago, WO-S 89 said:

I saw more players from Silsbee throwing punches. The lcm players were already in the locker room while I saw a couple of Silsbee players still trying to fight with what it looked like lcm fans.  

My question is why did the LCM fans get involved? 

If I'm a visiting player & was getting attacked by the home crowd you bet your bottom dollar I would defending myself.

16 minutes ago, WO-S 89 said:

I saw more players from Silsbee throwing punches. The lcm players were already in the locker room while I saw a couple of Silsbee players still trying to fight with what it looked like lcm fans.  

Really dude " lol Exactly when LCM stands jump in on Silsbee swinging . Sorry sorry .!! LMBO 

11 minutes ago, WO-S 89 said:

I know there were a couple players still trying to get back out there because of people harassing their parents but they were held back.  As far as more Tigers throwing punches after it  started, you may be right especially since we had 14 players to around 10 for LCM.  

Haha no upset was happening.  Tigers were pulling away.  Now if one thing was right that I read and we were awarded the win because we were ahead when that game was stopped,  it avoided a very touchy situation,  of having to play a seeding game or not.

3 hours ago, ST413 said:

No that was all in the sequence.  Players as pushing And shoving Jordan for two possessions and I didn't see it but was told helifted his knee up under Jordan while he was in the air.  That's when Jordan reacted and the player threw a punch.

Ur absolutely correct.  I was there.the thing is I could care less who won. Just wanted to see the Silsbee  team play.the refs should have stepped in even bf that play ever happened. Even wen the kid from lc-m wrestled the kid down in the 1st qtr.and to make things even worse.#3 for lc-m could've hurt that kid from Silsbee. Dirty play . Silsbee kids was trying to defend there player. But made it worse.#3 for lc-m threw the first punch bc he got shoved. K.brown I guess call his self taking up for teammate stole off on #5.refs should have had better control of the game.give lc-m credit they were trying but Silsbee is just to deep!! Let's hope and pray that Silsbee can avoid distraction and keep there eye on the prize.

Here is part of the issue I've noticed.  Silsbee has several players who play with a lot of emotion.   The majority of the team plays very physical defense.   I personally love to see the game played that way and it IS the way the game is played at the highest level.  In the same way, some of LCM's better players play the same way (Brown and Simmons to name two).  Again, I enjoy watching the game played that way.   (Some on both teams are a little to "chirpy" for my taste and don't think you have to talk when playing physical and with emotion but I'm an old timer and this is not uncommon). 

The problem is with a lot of opposing fans, they are used to watching little Petey playing little dribblers or junior high basketball where the refs blow the whistle for every touch.  They start yelling at the refs for not calling fouls and claim the other team is playing "dirty" because they are playing physically.  And they take the emotion the kids play with as cockiness and so labels start getting thrown.  

This is a personal observation but I see it a lot, especially at the local level.  I equate it to comments I've seen on here or heard in the stands at football games.  Just because WOS or Memorial or any other team is "laying the lumber" out there does not mean they are playing dirty.  And despite a common myth, basketball is not a non-contact sport...

You know the old saying. If everybody you meet is a jerk, it could be that YOU are the jerk. 

If your team gets into confrontations week in and week out, maybe it's not because every single team you face is starting problems.  

And as far as my friend Badsanta goes, who "threw the first punch" is irrelevant in these games. Any kid that throws a punch or leaves the bench will be punished. That's just the rules. 

2 hours ago, baseball_101 said:

Wow! Make to about race. You're a disgrace and should be ashamed. Grow up

Not making it about race at all just distinguishing between the two players could not remember that players number.  No where have you seen me blame or state that it was because of race.  So instead of trying to take it there you need to grow up!

I will say this the Tiger player involved at the beginning of this is one of if not the least likely on the team to be involved in anything like this.  All he does day in and day out is go in and play his game.  It's rare you even see much emotion out of him.  Now he did have a push in there at the beginning but I saw the pushing and shoving going on and I will bet there was even more that I could see and I was maybe 30 feet away.

I was thinking about going to that game.  If I could  of gotten   on   the road   by 5:30pm   I  would have.    But, I didn't  and couldn't. 

Hopefully no  one  gets  suspended for the  playoffs,  and there  were  no injuries.   Also  I hope  lessons  were  learned, on  and  off   the  court.

I will say this, I just viewed a brief video of the fight. I am sickened at what I saw. Makes me feel embarrassed as a Tiger fan and a fan of this particular young man.

This type behavior cannot go unpunished. I would not be against suspension for the remainder of season for this young man.

I will not be surprised if the UIL sends down some very damaging suspensions.

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I will say this, I just viewed a brief video of the fight. I am sickened at what I saw. Makes me feel embarrassed as a Tiger fan and a fan of this particular young man.

This type behavior cannot go unpunished. I would not be against suspension for the remainder of season for this young man.

I just watched the same video and it made me want to puke.  A suspension for the rest of the season is the only way to go.  Absolutely disgusting and cowardly.  

I too have seen some of the video! A lot led up to this happening. I have coached some of these boys in the past and it is disheartening to see these things. These boys have a lot on the line and sometimes youth gets in the way and they don't realize what the consequences are. Now they are at the point where they must serve out whatever punishment they have coming their way, learn and grow from it, and apply it to become better young men. We ask these young athletes to play with passion, emotion, intensity, and then try to instill in them the control of checking their emotions and intensity after the whistle blows. The worst thing that has happened in todays game at all levels is social media. It brings into play another part of the mental game that coaches have to learn to control and coach to. JMO 

4 minutes ago, Raider24 said:

The worst thing that has happened in todays game at all levels is social media. It brings into play another part of the mental game that coaches have to learn to control and coach to. JMO 

Amen!! 

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."

56 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Probably the same one I saw... #3 for Silsbee could have just seriously jeopardized his season.