The Great Jerry Jones is in the HOF

I agree with you on Randy Gregory.  He is a waste.  You can say the same for Gavin Escobar.  I do like their approach with the 2nd round picks though.  The COWBOYS strategy in the 2nd round is to take a chance on a player.  Sometimes they hit (Sean Lee and hopefully Jaylon Smith)

I will also agree with Greg Hardy, although I don't blame them.  He was considered by many the best option at a pass rusher.  Didn't work at all.  Too much baggage.

Fired Jimmy Johnson.  Again can't argue, but Jimmy deserves just as much blame as Jerry does on this matter.  Ego's got in the way of something wonderful!!!

Passing on Randy Moss is the reason Jerry Jones did not pass of Greg Hardy.  Kind of selling your soul to the devil.

The trading of picks for Joey Galloway and Roy Williams were his biggest mistakes in my opinion.  The Galloway trade could have been different is Aikman stays healthy.

The Claiborne move has not worked out like they hoped.  Another "chance" taken that hasn't paid off.

However, there are many quaility picks and moves that have happened during this same time.  Putting together the Offensive line, drafting Zeke and taking Dak when every team passed on him at least 3 times just to name a few.

3 minutes ago, Ty Cobb said:

Ok, so my question is, what do you have against Jerry Jones?  Why, in your opinion, is he not a great owner or GM?

Just do not know what he has accomplished that would make him "great". What changes has he made to the NFL in regard to policy or standards? 

He has built some very nice facilities funded mostly by taxpayer dollars.

He has done well at promoting his brand and raking in revenue. 

His team has not won Super Bowls. They have two playoff wins over the past ten years. 

I would venture to say his son is more deserving than him. From what I understand he has been the spearhead for their recent success in the draft.

10 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

Just do not know what he has accomplished that would make him "great". What changes has he made to the NFL in regard to policy or standards? 

He has built some very nice facilities funded mostly by taxpayer dollars.

He has done well at promoting his brand and raking in revenue. 

His team has not won Super Bowls. They have two playoff wins over the past ten years. 

I would venture to say his son is more deserving than him. From what I understand he has been the spearhead for their recent success in the draft.

Just read the article that I posted to see what he has done for the NFL.  There is not a single owner who doesn't understand and respect what Jerry Jones has brought to the NFL.  

He did build a nice facility in Arlington, actually it's the best stadium in the NFL.  Yes, taxpayers paid for part of the stadium.  Arlington voters approved the following tax increases: 

0.5% city sales tax

2% hotel occupancy tax

5% car rental tax

This came out to a little over $325 million.  That means that Jerry Jones covered or found investors to cover the other $675 million.  Sounds pretty fair to me!

He has done very well in promoting the COWBOYS and bringing in revenue.  The COWBOYS are currently worth $4 billion.  Worth more than any other sports franchise in the world.  Not a bad return on a $140 million investment.

His team has won 3 of the 5 Super Bowls that the COWBOYS have.  Don't give me that, "it was Jimmy's team crap."    Jerry owns the team.  If your going to blame him for all the "wrongs", you have to give him credit for the "rights", as well.

I will agree with you on Stephen Jones having more responsibility for the draft.  His current title is Executive Vice President, 

This is the hidden content, please
, and Director of Player Personnel for the COWBOYS.  However Jerry still has final say on who they draft.

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2017 at 10:55 AM, Ty Cobb said:

I have never understood why so many people dislike Jerry Jones.  Is it the money?  Is it the success that he has had in life?  Is it the success of the DALLAS COWBOYS?  

Some people say it's because he fired Tom Landry, others say because he ran Jimmy Johnson off.   Most often, it's because people don't like the fact that he is the GM and owner of the COWBOYS.   I really don't understand the last excuse.  

Why do so many say he's a bad GM?  Think of all the successful players that he has drafted since taking over the team.  Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, Darren Woodson, Russell Maryland, Leon Lett, Chad Hennings, Tony Tolbert, Larry Brown, Dixon Edwards, Daryl Johnston, Mark Stepnoski, Alvin Harper, Godfrey Myles, Erik Williams, Kevin Smith, Jimmy Smith, Darrin Smith, Brock Marion, Larry Allen, Greg Ellis, Flozell Adams, Dat Nguyen, Roy Williams, Andre Gurode, Terrance Newman, Jason Witten, Bradie James, DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Marion Barber, Chris Canty, Jay Ratliff, Jason Hatcher, Anthony Spencer, Doug Free, Martellus Bennett, Orlando Scandrick, Dez Bryant, Sean Lee, Tyron Smith, DeMarco Murray, Dwayne Harris, Morris Claiborne, Tyrone Crawford, Travis Fredrick, Terrance Williams, J J Wilcox, Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Anthony Hitchens, Byron Jones, Zeke, Dak, Maliek Collins, and Anthony Brown.  

My father-in-law played with both at Arkansas.  Couldn't stand Jerry (says he was an a-hole), loves Jimmy (to be fair, Jimmy got him back and forth from SETX to Fayetteville since he had a car and my F-I-L didn't).  I think for some of us older Cowboy fans, Jerry rubbed us the wrong way in the beginning.  But he has been a great marketer and a dedicated owner.  He has been an average GM at best, much like the late, great George Steinbrenner when he was trying to get out of his lane. 

But as an owner, like Steinbrenner, he absolutely deserves to be in the Hall.  Greatest owner of all time?  I would say the name Art Rooney comes to mind...