Hardin-Jefferson 55 Cleveland 54/FINAL

WOSgrad

Saw something I have never seen before in all of the basketball I have watched.  Cleveland goes to the free throw line with 18 seconds left trailing by two.  They make first free throw and miss the second one but got a putback rebound and are now up by 1 with about 12 seconds left.  HJ player dribbles to the paint and puts up a shot and is fouled with 9/10 of one second left.  HJ player makes the first free throw to tie the game.  As would be expected, opposing coach calls a timeout to let the HJ shooter have to think about the next free throw.  Following the timeout, the Cleveland players get in their respective rebounding positions.  At this time, you would expect the referee to hand the ball to the free throw shooter and proceed.   Instead of doing so, referee approaches each Cleveland player consecutively and has a brief conversation with them individually.( ( 4 separate conversations)  Has anybody else ever seen something like this?  I will let you draw your own conclusion about what the referee was attempting to achieve.  After all of those histrionics, the HJ player made the second free throw- Game over.  If HJ had lost, I would not be able to make the above statement because it would strictly be viewed as sour grapes.

11 hours ago, stevenash said:

Saw something I have never seen before in all of the basketball I have watched.  Cleveland goes to the free throw line with 18 seconds left trailing by two.  They make first free throw and miss the second one but got a putback rebound and are now up by 1 with about 12 seconds left.  HJ player dribbles to the paint and puts up a shot and is fouled with 9/10 of one second left.  HJ player makes the first free throw to tie the game.  As would be expected, opposing coach calls a timeout to let the HJ shooter have to think about the next free throw.  Following the timeout, the Cleveland players get in their respective rebounding positions.  At this time, you would expect the referee to hand the ball to the free throw shooter and proceed.   Instead of doing so, referee approaches each Cleveland player consecutively and has a brief conversation with them individually.( ( 4 separate conversations)  Has anybody else ever seen something like this?  I will let you draw your own conclusion about what the referee was attempting to achieve.  After all of those histrionics, the HJ player made the second free throw- Game over.  If HJ had lost, I would not be able to make the above statement because it would strictly be viewed as sour grapes.

Can honestly say that is a new one for me.  Have never seen anything like that. 

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Another question would be why just speak to Cleveland players? If the official had something to say, he should have addressed everyone that was lined up on the lane.

Or if it was an issue for just Cleveland, address it to the coach or to the players before they came out of the time out.  Very odd indeed.

That wasn't the only strange happenings in this game :) 

???????

I have never seen a basketball game officiated like this in all my life and I have spent a lot of hours in the gym, even officiated quite a few games in my younger days. There were multiple calls over turned or changed down the stretch in this game. On one possession a block was called by one official, a charge by the other. The "dominant" official over ruled his counterpart. On another possession one of the HJ players wound up 2 rows deep in the stands but no official saw the shove that put him there. Play was stopped on at least 1 occasion where there was a wide open drive to the basket and no call made. Overall the mechanics of this crew was awful, no other way to put it.

2 hours ago, whsalum said:

I have never seen a basketball game officiated like this in all my life and I have spent a lot of hours in the gym, even officiated quite a few games in my younger days. There were multiple calls over turned or changed down the stretch in this game. On one possession a block was called by one official, a charge by the other. The "dominant" official over ruled his counterpart. On another possession one of the HJ players wound up 2 rows deep in the stands but no official saw the shove that put him there. Play was stopped on at least 1 occasion where there was a wide open drive to the basket and no call made. Overall the mechanics of this crew was awful, no other way to put it.

I have seen some of that this year as well..