Tennessee bill: no food stamps for ice cream, soda

bullets13

14 minutes ago, stevenash said:

I've got mixed emotions on this one.  On the one hand, I can understand that these monies are intended for basic staples.  On the other, I am always troubled when the government starts telling you what is good for you and what is not.

While I understand the second point in your post, if you're okay relying on the government to stock your pantry, I think you are subject to any regulations they see fit to place on the money they're giving you for free.  

Personally, I'm fine with this.  I've seen people fill shopping carts with junk food and crap, and then pay with a lone star card.  IMO, the purpose of government assistance is to help people survive, not to allow them to afford the expensive extras that they can't afford without it.  I've seen people spend $40 on pizza with a lone star card, and I've seen them buy expensive seafood and high dollar steaks with lone star cards.  This is not what tax dollars should be paying for.  Basics like sandwich stuff, eggs, fruits, vegetables and milk, and inexpensive meals like Mac n cheese or ramen noodles is what should be bought.  This service is to feed your family.  My tax dollars paying for cokes and ice cream is the same as me buying someone's cigarettes and beer.  I don't care if you drink or smoke, but you better be able to pay for it yourself.  I feel the same way about non-essential food items.  I'm all for feeding poor families, but if you want expensive, unhealthy food that you don't need to survive, get a job and pay for it yourself, and if you do have a job, and are supplemented by food stamps, rearrange your financial priorities to pay for those things if you "need" them that badly.  If someone is on government assistance, and is allowed to spend that money any way they want, they have no real motivation to better their situation to afford those things.  

25 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

While I understand the second point in your post, if you're okay relying on the government to stock your pantry, I think you are subject to any regulations they see fit to place on the money they're giving you for free.  

Can't argue with that.  Who would have ever thought that you and I would be discussing from such viewpoints?:)

6 hours ago, stevenash said:

I've got mixed emotions on this one.  On the one hand, I can understand that these monies are intended for basic staples.  On the other, I am always troubled when the government starts telling you what is good for you and what is not.

I don't have a problem with govt telling people that the taxpayers will not pay for their shrimp, ribeyes, and lobsters.  I do have a problem with Obama's wife telling my kids that they have to eat some garbage school lunch (that I pay for) that she approves of when her private school kids have a chef preparing their meals.  

8 hours ago, baddog said:

Food stamps are for survival, not luxury.

I believe that was the original intent and that is what it should be. 

It has evolved into an entitlement and I think many people are offended if someone suggests that their free money be spent on staples. 

If you live on welfare & food stamps, you're a slave to the Government, and you'll eat what they tell you.  This is just a minor example of what I've been preaching.  We see other examples all the time - You'll teach (or feed) this in your schools, or we'll cut funding.  You'll make the speed limits on I-10 65mph or we'll cut funding.  The liberals just don't get it.  They think the Govt is the answer, when actuall it just turns you into a slave.

And yes baddog, "we" are suppose to be the Govt, but I'm afraid there's to many "we's" that want to feed at the Govt trough.  Jmo

On 1/15/2017 at 9:38 AM, REBgp said:

If you live on welfare & food stamps, you're a slave to the Government, and you'll eat what they tell you.  This is just a minor example of what I've been preaching.  We see other examples all the time - You'll teach (or feed) this in your schools, or we'll cut funding.  You'll make the speed limits on I-10 65mph or we'll cut funding.  The liberals just don't get it.  They think the Govt is the answer, when actuall it just turns you into a slave.

And yes baddog, "we" are suppose to be the Govt, but I'm afraid there's to many "we's" that want to feed at the Govt trough.  Jmo

Government trough....I like that. I get a mental image of someone slopping the hogs. Lmao.