West Brook's Flanigan hired as new Tomball HS head coach

AggiesAreWe

8 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

This camera thing was the last headache.

Trust me, there were plenty of headaches caused by admins prior to this incident. Other head coaches in the district have informed me.

Tomball facilities are just as good as West Brooks. Also, Flanigan can implement his system and program at the middle school level. This cannot be done at BISD because there is no true feeder system to any of the high schools in BISD.

The headaches thing is very untrue.  Other coaches, yes. Because had the incident never occured, he would've never left.  He left because he lost all respect from his fellow co-workers for the asinine move that he pulled.

I do completely agree with your last paragraph though....

3 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

The headaches thing is very untrue.  Other coaches, yes. Because had the incident never occured, he would've never left.  He left because he lost all respect from his fellow co-workers for the asinine move that he pulled.

I disagree with the part about "he would've never left".  He was on the list that applied for the Baytown Memorial job last year.

14 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

He wouldn't have to do the same thing in Tomball due to "administrative support"

Of course he's in the spotlight for this, but I would be interested to see just how many time he brought this issue up to the higher ups with nothing being done. The man was put in that situation to make a tough decision. Soulja, you used a term earlier, "selective comprehension", which I think we are ALL guilty of at times... including me... including you... Maybe we are wrong for our opinions on this situation, then again, maybe you are wrong.

Actually no.  Anyone that knows me always makes sure that I'm not playing devil's advocate before debating with me, which I love to do....  Lol.  so I actually comprehended both sides of the debate before the debate even started.  Lol

10 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

This is the hidden content, please

17 minutes ago, CCRed said:

I might add, that Tomball obviously knew about this incident before they hired him.  Apparently, they didn't think he should have been punished, they rewarded him with a job. 

Tomball was obviously only looking at the body of work....  A 9-1 regular season record, which, for a team that just finished 2-8 was a gold mine....but what do I know?

16 minutes ago, CCRed said:

I might add, that Tomball obviously knew about this incident before they hired him.  Apparently, they didn't think he should have been punished, they rewarded him with a job. 

I think we are missing the point on what constitutes a "punishment" in this case.

He was in the wrong. He was suspended, therefore he WAS punished. They did not think his actions rose to a level that should result in his termination. 

Best of luck to him at Tomball. My niece works at Tomball Memorial and loves it over there.

18 minutes ago, CCRed said:

I disagree with the part about "he would've never left".  He was on the list that applied for the Baytown Memorial job last year.

Yes, but he had no idea of the great group of kids following up.  He didn't forsee a 9-1 young squad LAST YEAR. No one seen it, including most WB faithful.

3 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I know what the article states.  And I saw his interview already.  But I also knew that he was leaving weeks before it happened and why.

You seem to know a lot of inside information at west Brook? Are you a coach or a fellow co worker? Because to say that most of his co workers disagreed with him is quite a statement. 

Maybe the man was just unhappy with some things including salary. How can anyone hate another for furthering their career and future. Nobody would question anyone else for taking another job for money/environment/family. 

Just thinking out loud. 

9 minutes ago, Irishwoad said:

You seem to know a lot of inside information at west Brook? Are you a coach or a fellow co worker? Because to say that most of his co workers disagreed with him is quite a statement. 

Maybe the man was just unhappy with some things including salary. How can anyone hate another for furthering their career and future. Nobody would question anyone else for taking another job for money/environment/family. 

Just thinking out loud. 

Put it this way, I know enough information...  The information that otherwise would never be disclosed...

But the rest of your statement is opinion, which i respect and you're completely entitled to.  

Administrative leave led to job search, says West Brook's Flanigan

by

Well, let's be clear about another matter.  For all of the talk about parents and so forth coming to Coach Flanigan's defense, it is not as if he enjoyed widespread support in the community during his tenure at West Brook.  Time and again, any thread having to do with West Brook football since Flanigan has been coach has pointed to what the poster considered lack of coaching ability on his part.  Game threads were littered with posts that his coaching was the cause of a loss or less than stellar performance.  Prediction threads forecast doom because of the same.  Now, I am not so arrogant as to believe that the views on this message board represented the whole, or even the majority, of West Brook followers.  At the same time, I am not so naive as to believe that the above stated views were limited to those who chose to log on and post here.

That, combined with this whole sorted mess involving the camera placement, regardless of your views on whether Flanigan acted properly or not, was not exactly a formula for the coach coming off of administrative leave wanting to hold hands with Frossard, Simmons and Co., singing "Cumbaya" and hollering "Let's go Bruins in '17!"

A number of folks here wanted this result to happen, whether it was the choice of BISD or of Coach Flanigan, and many wanted if to happen long before this latest saga ever occurred.

During these back and forths, one thought always comes to mind "Be careful what you ask for."  I hope those Beaumont area high school football fans who desired this result don't have to realize next year why that thought comes to mind.

Coach Flanigan, if you are reading this, congratulations on your new position.  You have produced winning teams at every stop of your career, Orangefield, Crosby and West Brook, and I have no doubt with your guidance that the Tomball Cougars will soon find their winning ways!

8 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Hey, going from $84,297 to about$104,525 is a no brainer if that's what it's all about.  I don't believe that was all it was about but it probably helped his decision.  And unless BISD does something about their pay for head football coaches, he won't be the last one...

57 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

No coach wants to go to Beaumont ISD and stay.  I'm sure it's a stepping stone for more money for all of them.

"No headaches?" lol.  Beaumont is one continuous headache. 

44 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Hey, going from $84,297 to about$104,525 is a no brainer if that's what it's all about.  I don't believe that was all it was about but it probably helped his decision.  And unless BISD does something about their pay for head football coaches, he won't be the last one...

Actually, the BISD HC pay is pretty comparable to most teams in SETX.

On 1/14/2017 at 10:20 AM, Irishwoad said:

I would love to see what his coaches say about the situation and what they think about him leaving. I wonder if we will see a mass exodus of coaches to go with him?

The OC took the Hardin job last night, and if I had to guess his son will be right there with him in Hardin. So that is two coaches that won't be following him to Tomball.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, BMTSoulja1 said:

Yes, but he had no idea of the great group of kids following up.  He didn't forsee a 9-1 young squad LAST YEAR. No one seen it, including most WB faithful.

Flannigan was looking for a way out of West Brook and had been since he got there. He's been applying for nearly every decent job that comes open in this area for at least three years, including a bad GCM program. Dayton didn't release their list but I'm dang near positive he applied for that one too. BISD pays three head coaches and an athletic director, even awful programs like College Park start you out at significantly more than what Flannigan was making. He doesn't really get to make his non-district schedule, the school is isolated from other 6A's which is a travel pain, below average pay for assistants at good programs, a medaling administration and on top of all that he makes less money for it. Flannigan would've left WB for the Huffman job if it came open.      

21 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Flannigan was looking for a way out of West Brook and had been since he got there. He's been applying for nearly every decent job that comes open in this area for at least three years, including a bad GCM program. Dayton didn't release their list but I'm dang near positive he applied for that one too. BISD pays three head coaches and an athletic director, even awful programs like College Park start you out at significantly more than what Flannigan was making. He doesn't really get to make his non-district schedule, the school is isolated from other 6A's which is a travel pain, below average pay for assistants at good programs, a medaling administration and on top of all that he makes less money for it. Flannigan would've left WB for the Huffman job if it came open.      

don't forget a terrible feeder program with junior highs.