West Brook's Flanigan hired as new Tomball HS head coach

AggiesAreWe

2 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

don't forget a terrible feeder program with junior highs.

I hear it's like the wild west figuring out which kids will attend what HS's

I don't live in BMT, nor do I have children attending BISD schools. I'd actually like to hear some firsthand accounts of how kids from the Junior Highs know which High Schools they'll  be attending. 

28 minutes ago, The Icon said:

I don't live in BMT, nor do I have children attending BISD schools. I'd actually like to hear some firsthand accounts of how kids from the Junior Highs know which High Schools they'll  be attending. 

THey do have zones marked and if address falls in that school zone then that's the school they're suppose to attend....not sure on how strict they enforce that rule.

the old saying:  Bball kids go to ozen/central

football kids go to WB

37 minutes ago, The Icon said:

Since you don't have kids here, it shouldn't matter to you...

14 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Since you don't have kids here, it shouldn't matter to you...

It doesn't matter - however, I am curious. I do have friends who live in Beaumont. I also like to be informed when speaking of other schools/school districts, rather than spreading hear-say.

Pump the brakes a bit

2 minutes ago, The Icon said:

It doesn't matter - however, I am curious. I do have friends who live in Beaumont. I also like to be informed when speaking of other schools/school districts, rather than spreading hear-say.

Pump the brakes a bit

My brakes aren't working these days, I have to usually coast to a stop... 

Its probably going to cause a stir but here goes...

True feeder program success example:

West Orange-Stark

Nothing changes from birth to graduation.  One key ingredient is that is looks like EVERY athlete from that community dreams or strives to play football.  No division. 

True, other sports seem to suffer the consequences of such a system.

If BISD setup their school athletics in that fashion, what would be the results? There has to be an unknown depth of talent both athletically and academically.

Better education?

Better athletic facilities and programs?

Curious as to the opinions.

5 hours ago, Silsbee92 said:

West Orange-Stark

Nothing changes from birth to graduation.  One key ingredient is that is looks like EVERY athlete from that community dreams or strives to play football.  No division. 

If BISD setup their school athletics in that fashion, what would be the results? There has to be an unknown depth of talent both athletically and academically.

Better education?

I get what your saying that in stability is certainly a help in a football program.  However, I think some of your statements are a bit simplistic.

Stability in a program is dependent on two factors, not only players being in a known pipeline of schools, but players in the same SYSTEM while they are traveling through that pipeline.  If a set of players have to relearn a new system every few years, then the fact that they are earmarked since kindergarten to go to a particular high school really doesn't provide the stability that a true feeder school program would hope to provide.  I say this because, if there has been one problem that the football programs in BISD has dealt with, its turnover.  If he is not hired away, Toby Foreman will begin his fifth season as head coach at Central in 2017....that will make him the longest tenured head coach among the BISD high school head coaches.  And the turnover has not only taken place on the field, but also in the principal offices and administration offices of BISD.  True some of this was necessary for a number of reasons, but it doesn't do much for stability and might negate any advantage that a more structured feeder school program might bring.

And I don't know that a structured lead to the academic or facility improvements.  Let me cite current examples.  As we speak, both Central and Ozen have been instructed by the TEA that they have to notify the parents of their students that they are immediately eligible for transfer to another school due to failure to meet standards (to avoid that appearance of "BISD bashing" an admission, West Orange-Stark Elementary and West Orange-Stark Middle School had to do the same).  Now, if I have a child that would be attending one of these schools in the future I'd be concerned, concerned enough that I might not want my child to attend that school in the future.  However, under the structured feeder program, I'd really have no choice in the future due to the drawing of an arbitrary line. And if I were to complain about that, do you really think that the response that "Well, we want Coach Foreman, Taylor and TBA to know who they are coaching in high school if they choose to stick around" will make me real happy?

Finally, you'd didn't think I'd let this go would you? " True, other sports seem to suffer the consequences of such a system."

In response to this generalization, I'll just ask the following questions.

1) Name the last SETX team to vie for a baseball state championship;

2) Aside from the 2015 and 2016 WO-S football team, please list other teams that have garnered state championships in any sport since 2010.  (I'll give you 2 of them, the Ozen girls track team in 2010 and the Hardin-Jefferson girls track team in 2016).

9 hours ago, Silsbee92 said:

West Orange-Stark

Better education?

we hear this all the time about other programs suffer at west orange - in the last 10 years - WOS has been to Austin in Basketball - State finals in Baseball - three state championships in track - and two titles in football- yeah i guess yall right - soccer seems to be suffering

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, WOSgrad said:

I get what your saying that in stability is certainly a help in a football program.  However, I think some of your statements are a bit simplistic.

Stability in a program is dependent on two factors, not only players being in a known pipeline of schools, but players in the same SYSTEM while they are traveling through that pipeline.  If a set of players have to relearn a new system every few years, then the fact that they are earmarked since kindergarten to go to a particular high school really doesn't provide the stability that a true feeder school program would hope to provide.  I say this because, if there has been one problem that the football programs in BISD has dealt with, its turnover.  If he is not hired away, Toby Foreman will begin his fifth season as head coach at Central in 2017....that will make him the longest tenured head coach among the BISD high school head coaches.  And the turnover has not only taken place on the field, but also in the principal offices and administration offices of BISD.  True some of this was necessary for a number of reasons, but it doesn't do much for stability and might negate any advantage that a more structured feeder school program might bring.

And I don't know that a structured lead to the academic or facility improvements.  Let me cite current examples.  As we speak, both Central and Ozen have been instructed by the TEA that they have to notify the parents of their students that they are immediately eligible for transfer to another school due to failure to meet standards (to avoid that appearance of "BISD bashing" an admission, West Orange-Stark Elementary and West Orange-Stark Middle School had to do the same).  Now, if I have a child that would be attending one of these schools in the future I'd be concerned, concerned enough that I might not want my child to attend that school in the future.  However, under the structured feeder program, I'd really have no choice in the future due to the drawing of an arbitrary line. And if I were to complain about that, do you really think that the response that "Well, we want Coach Foreman, Taylor and TBA to know who they are coaching in high school if they choose to stick around" will make me real happy?

Finally, you'd didn't think I'd let this go would you? " True, other sports seem to suffer the consequences of such a system."

In response to this generalization, I'll just ask the following questions.

1) Name the last SETX team to vie for a baseball state championship;

2) Aside from the 2015 and 2016 WO-S football team, please list other teams that have garnered state championships in any sport since 2010.  (I'll give you 2 of them, the Ozen girls track team in 2010 and the Hardin-Jefferson girls track team in 2016).

Hey Warden, do you know something we don't???

On 1/21/2017 at 10:43 AM, Silsbee92 said:

West Orange-Stark

Better education?

If your school has their name on the water tower, you tend to have a more developed feeder pattern.