Awesome WOS factoid

WOS99

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:55 AM, Tigers2010 said:

No offense, Carthage barely escaped Silsbee. They are not close to WOS.

None taken but you do realize D1 was stronger than D2 this year and Carthage one the title. I don't believe in judging by like opponents and the Silsbee game was a major wake up call for them. The talent was always immense for this team but after that game it all came together. Carthage has a knack for looking terrible and then eventually pulling out a state title.

EDIT: In respect to Silsbee, I'm sure they had gotten better since that week. Honestly if WOS had played Carthage in the preseason, they would have really handed it to us but playoffs is a different story.

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

None taken but you do realize D1 was stronger than D2 this year and Carthage one the title. I don't believe in judging by like opponents and the Silsbee game was a major wake up call for them. The talent was always immense for this team but after that game it all came together. Carthage has a knack for looking terrible and then eventually pulling out a state title.

EDIT: In respect to Silsbee, I'm sure they had gotten better since that week. Honestly if WOS had played Carthage in the preseason, they would have really handed it to us but playoffs is a different story.

There is no problem having faith in your squad. They had a fantastic run and got a Championship. D1 may have been deeper, but WOS would have won either. It is easy to say because they didn't play, but I would be shocked if Carthage played them within 20 pts this year

On 1/26/2017 at 10:55 AM, Tigers2010 said:

No offense, Carthage barely escaped Silsbee. They are not close to WOS.

We'll never know.  Here's what we do know... Carthage won the state title in a higher division.  In football that says a lot.  I know WOS had a great team.  But it's impossible to say what they would've done in a higher division.  In the past WOS hasn't done well when in the same division with a lot of those schools.  I know it's a different team...but still don't know.

Here's what else we know.  WOS had a couple of nice preseason wins.  I think Bridge City and Kennedale were good wins...but the other schools on the preseason schedule were not that impressive.  Then they played a joke of a district (except Liberty was halfway decent).  They beat Bellville, Giddings, and Navarro in the playoffs which were very similar to Liberty as far as talent level.  I'm not taking anything away from WOS because they had a perfect season.  16-0 and did it in convincing fashion.  But to say the state champ in the division above them isn't close...I just don't know about that.  I'm not convinced any school WOS played in the playoffs would've gotten past round 2 or 3 in a division higher.  Again..I'm not saying that Carthage would've beaten WOS last season.  They probably wouldn't have.  But Carthage winning the D1 title is a heck of a lot more impressive in my opinion just because of the way it had to be done.  D1 was so much deeper than D2 it isn't even funny.  

51 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

We'll never know.  Here's what we do know... Carthage won the state title in a higher division.  In football that says a lot.  I know WOS had a great team.  But it's impossible to say what they would've done in a higher division.  In the past WOS hasn't done well when in the same division with a lot of those schools.  I know it's a different team...but still don't know.

Here's what else we know.  WOS had a couple of nice preseason wins.  I think Bridge City and Kennedale were good wins...but the other schools on the preseason schedule were not that impressive.  Then they played a joke of a district (except Liberty was halfway decent).  They beat Bellville, Giddings, and Navarro in the playoffs which were very similar to Liberty as far as talent level.  I'm not taking anything away from WOS because they had a perfect season.  16-0 and did it in convincing fashion.  But to say the state champ in the division above them isn't close...I just don't know about that.  I'm not convinced any school WOS played in the playoffs would've gotten past round 2 or 3 in a division higher.  Again..I'm not saying that Carthage would've beaten WOS last season.  They probably wouldn't have.  But Carthage winning the D1 title is a heck of a lot more impressive in my opinion just because of the way it had to be done.  D1 was so much deeper than D2 it isn't even funny.  

STOP BRINGING UP THE PAST YEARS. We're talking about this year's team. They were just on a different level and how they mandhandled Kennedale with key people out proved it. Hell the stats speak for themselves. No matter who you're playing a team giving up 3 points per game and a team who had over 800 points, not including the 22 TDs they had called back , the games our starters came out after 2 quarters and 26 non offensive TDS?! That's a pretty tough team to beat.

12 minutes ago, wosfan1992 said:

STOP BRINGING UP THE PAST YEARS. We're talking about this year's team. They were just on a different level and how they mandhandled Kennedale with key people out proved it. Hell the stats speak for themselves. No matter who you're playing a team giving up 3 points per game and a team who had over 800 points, not including the 22 TDs they had called back , the games our starters came out after 2 quarters and 26 non offensive TDS?! That's a pretty tough team to beat.

Are you serious?.. Lol.  Calm down, dude.  Did you not read the flurry of compliments I made in my previous post...including saying that I DO NOT think Carthage would've beaten WOS this year?  Very few times in my life I've seen as much butthurt at WOS fans feel when someone says or implies any little indication that they aren't the absolute best football team to have ever played the game.

By the way...it does matter who you're playing sometimes.  I do believe WOS was good enough to win either division in 4A, but if you think beating a crappy team 70-0 means you can beat a good team 70-0 then I don't know what to say.  Because that's pretty dumb.

I again have no desire to enter in the hypothetical outcome of a hypothetical game between West Orange-Stark and Carthage.  Both won their respective state championships and received practically identical trophies for their achievements.  While that may not suffice to some, that is satisfactory to me and while I might be mistaken is equally satisfactory to most of my friends in the Carthage area.

I do however, find it uncanny that whenever there is any praise given to this Mustang squad, even when it is not done by a WOS supporter, it magnetically draws a certain individual to his computer keyboard to type out a response implying that the praise is misplaced, sometimes of extremely silly proportions much like this little jewel in this very thread:

"WOS has never lost to The University of Alabama.  I know right!  At first I was like.. "surely WOS has been beaten by Bama at some point.  At least during the Nick Saban era.  Saban can beat anyone at least once."  So I googled it....sure enough.  The mighty WOS Mustangs have never lost a football game to the Crimson Tide!  Trust me...I'm as surprised as all of you.  Completely blown away. . " 

Yet, when these responses are met with a reply, he decries his role as a victim in the process.

To him, I can only say the West Orange-Stark Mustangs won the State Championship in its Class and Division for the 2nd year in a row and did so in a manner that had people whose opinions I value much more than his from around the state talking about it and Mustang fans and folks in Southeast Texas are going to talk about it on this forum ALOT!!!

To him I only leave his own words:

Offended?  GOOD!

27 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Say what you want.  This thread was stupid.  When I see or hear something stupid, I make sure it's known that I think it's stupid.  Nobody had to respond...yet here we are.

And I do the same to posts of the same ilk....and believe me, you provide a target rich environment in that regard.