Best GT Team Ever?

badndn

Depends on your definition of what constitutes "greatest."  By numbers WOS 2016 would be running away the "greatest" being the only local team to go 16-0 EVER and from their average win margin. Not a single one of those 16 games were closer than 18 points.  Katy, Southlake Carroll, Celina, Lake Travis, Permian, Abilene, Wichita Falls, Stephenville, Carthage, La Marque... none of those 60+ state championship teams that those schools have had combined can say that.

If you look back a few years things get a little murky though.  Port Arthur Jefferson had 11 shutouts in their 1929 State Championship season (allowing only 32 points in 13 games) and 10 shutouts in their 1944 State Championship season (allowing only 53 points in 14 games).  Offenses and defenses were very different back then so difficult to compare.

Beaumont Hebert 1976 has a case to be made as the first previously (and at the time pretty much still was) segregated school to break the barrier and win a UIL state title undefeated 15-0. To this day that's the only local team other than WOS '87 and '16 to win at least 15 games and go undefeated.

West Brook 1982 lost some games but made history  as the 2nd school after Lubbock Estacado in 1968 (and still the first and only in the largest classification) to win State in their very first season of existence.  Plus the whole court-ordered desegregation drama.

French in 1984 was a cinderella team.  Not sure I'd say greatest ever but definitely helped put a notch in Southeast Texas' record against Permian and West Texas in general.  We're 1-1-1 against Permian (all in their heyday) PNG 1975, TJ 1980, French 1984.

PNG 1975 and PNG in general deserves a mention as they went through a huge gauntlet.  They did lose one game to South Houston but came back and beat that same team in the playoffs when it counted and went on to be the only local team to notch an actual win against Odessa Permian in the state finals. And they went 41-3 from 1975-1977 as one of the smaller schools in the largest classification in an era where one team per district made the playoffs, the maximum number of games you could play was 15, and only five trophies were handed out.  They played 44 out of a possible max of 45 over those three years.  WOS went 44-4 the last three years in comparison with 16 games being the max.

AND last but not least....  Hull-Daisetta 1935-1939.  Go check out the historical section on this site that I put up. 

Hull-Daisetta held the NATIONAL winning streak record of 43 consecutive wins for almost 20 years until Abilene passed them in the 1950's.  They were a small school and didnt play to a state championship at that time but it's still something most people don't even know today but was a big deal when the record was broken back when.  They went 11-0 three consecutive years making them the only local program that can say they were undefeated three years in a row. In a window of 19 games from 1935-1937 they outscored opponents 558-6 with 18 shutouts allowing only 6 points to Beaumont French in a playoff game.

As much as I'd love to include Jasper in this conversation (we had a really nice run between 1980 and 1984), there's no way to justify it. The Bulldogs have never won a championship. We're proud of our tradition as a top-tier football school in the area, but we need to win a title to validate that.

8 hours ago, WOS99 said:

LOL really?

2016 Stangs 

2016 Stangs were dominant and I enjoyed following them this season and enjoyed being present as they hoisted the trophy the last 2 seasons. I just dont believe they could have beaten the 2000 Nederland team or the 2000 WO-S team either.

8 hours ago, alphadog said:

2016 Stangs were dominant and I enjoyed following them this season and enjoyed being present as they hoisted the trophy the last 2 seasons. I just dont believe they could have beaten the 2000 Nederland team or the 2000 WO-S team either.

WOS 2000 beat the 2000 4A D1 State Champ Bay City that Nederland lost to...   I'm confused how you can argue Nederland 2000 when they lost to both WOS and Bay City.  Greatest ever should by definition imply State Title.  Nederland 1957 was special i'll give you that.  They went 14-0 and only allowed 53 points AND beat Sweetwater in the State Finals.  Poor Sweetwater.  0-2 against SE Texas.  

Nederland went 50-2-2 from 1954-1957 and 60-4-3 from 1953-1957.  They didn't lose a single district game from mid-1952 until 1962 although there were some ties.

it is too hard to say "best." 

Different eras and different classifications really make saying "best" impossible to pick just one. The 2016 Mustangs are way up the list if you were able to find criteria to rank all area teams. 

Now, I can say this year's WOS can easily be labeled our area's most dominant team. No team has imposed its will against opponents like this year's Mustangs, even all the way through the playoffs. 

I just don't like the term "best." Was Joe Montana the best? Is Brady the best? Jordan or LBJ? There is just too many intangibles to consider.

On 1/5/2017 at 6:42 PM, Bulldog92 said:

As much as I'd love to include Jasper in this conversation (we had a really nice run between 1980 and 1984), there's no way to justify it. The Bulldogs have never won a championship. We're proud of our tradition as a top-tier football school in the area, but we need to win a title to validate that.

But man, once upon a time, you came close........So very close!!!!