SETXSPORTS User Names

Hagar

I picked mine as an homage to Engelbert Humperdinck. He gave Jimi Hendrix his start. I can't imagine the audience's reaction back in 1966 when attending a concert by a straight-laced lily-white crooner, and out comes this black, huge afro, left handed psychedelic electric guitar player to open the gig (Psychedelic music at the time was big amongst the younger generation but was considered taboo for mainstream...the exact audience that would attend an Engelbert Humperdinck concert). Humperdinck took a huge chance of racial backlash, but was convinced Hendrix's talent would carry the day.

I had been using the username for years before I realized I was using the wrong spelling. By that time I figured it was too hard to change it.

19 hours ago, Englebert said:

I picked mine as an homage to Engelbert Humperdinck. He gave Jimi Hendrix his start. I can't imagine the audience's reaction back in 1966 when attending a concert by a straight-laced lily-white crooner, and out comes this black, huge afro, left handed psychedelic electric guitar player to open the gig (Psychedelic music at the time was big amongst the younger generation but was considered taboo for mainstream...the exact audience that would attend an Engelbert Humperdinck concert). Humperdinck took a huge chance of racial backlash, but was convinced Hendrix's talent would carry the day.

I had been using the username for years before I realized I was using the wrong spelling. By that time I figured it was too hard to change it.

I would have never caught the misspelling. I like "After the Lovin'" by Humperdinck. I also like Hendrix. "All Along the Watchtower" is one of my favorites. It was written by Bob Dylan. Hendrix put his special touch on it. Dylan's version is more Dylan.

bullets has three meanings for me: in soccer growing up I always kicked harder than everyone else on the team, and was told I "shot bullets".  I play poker a lot, and bullets are pocket aces, and also I'm a gun enthusiast and hunter. The 13 has been my number in sports since I was 9, all the way through college soccer, and even today in my adult leagues.

5gallonbucket comes from me growing up playing basketball in my parents barn.  The goal was a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut off that was nailed to a wood mortar board(dad's a bricklayer) for a backboard that was then nailed to a creosote pole. Shooting on this type of goal is no easy task and can be disheartening to a young kid just starting out, but my persistent lil self loved the game. Shooting on that goal with a regulation ball you have to have the perfect arch otherwise it won't go in.  Ball would barely fit.  

I credit that goal for many accolades thru high school and college, but most of all credit my dad for teaching me Perseverance and Work Ethic by making that goal for me.

and as of today i have my 11 year shooting on the good ole 5 gallon bucket.  

10 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

5gallonbucket comes from me growing up playing basketball in my parents barn.  The goal was a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut off that was nailed to a wood mortar board(dad's a bricklayer) for a backboard that was then nailed to a creosote pole. Shooting on this type of goal is no easy task and can be disheartening to a young kid just starting out, but my persistent lil self loved the game. Shooting on that goal with a regulation ball you have to have the perfect arch otherwise it won't go in.  Ball would barely fit.  

I credit that goal for many accolades thru high school and college, but most of all credit my dad for teaching me Perseverance and Work Ethic by making that goal for me.

Are you saying that your dad thought those two qualities were a better way to go than having the government handle things on your behalf?

13 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

......................and as of today i have my 11 year shooting on the good ole 5 gallon bucket.  

A horrible story of abuse. Either get him counseling now or you have one other choice. 

Fabricate a homemade hoop about 3 feet in diameter and give him a participation trophy if he tries to make it. 

15 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Good story. Making a shot go in that bucket is like shooting at the hoops at a carnival.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:12 AM, stevenash said:

Are you saying that your dad thought those two qualities were a better way to go than having the government handle things on your behalf?

Oh yeah

Govt was invented for Fair treatment for all and protect the innocent.  ...they have no business in providing me with everything and anything I want/need.

21 hours ago, tvc184 said:

A horrible story of abuse. Either get him counseling now or you have one other choice. 

Fabricate a homemade hoop about 3 feet in diameter and give him a participation trophy if he tries to make it. 

He hated it at first, but that bucket is his counselor.  and now that he's playing some organized ball and sees the fruit of his labor pay off by shooting in that ocean of a regulation goal he now understands why he suffered that abuse

• 2 weeks later...
On January 17, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Kountzer said:

My name is confusing because people think I am a Kountze fan, but I am really a Silsbee fan. I was born in Kountze, but that is about it.  I grew up and I am attached to Silsbee.  I may change it one day, then again maybe not.  It is just a message board name. 

Keeps everyone guessing.  And a good year to be a Silsbee a Tiger basketball fan!