Major Applewhite

TXHORN_ET

2 hours ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

This means he is fast-tracking to a P5 head coaching job in 2 years.

Rumors are that UH wanted a crazy high buyout so they don't keep losing their coach every few years.  That ran off Kiffin and some of the others that would have used this as a stepping stone job.  

20 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Rumors are that UH wanted a crazy high buyout so they don't keep losing their coach every few years.  That ran off Kiffin and some of the others that would have used this as a stepping stone job.  

I had heard that too. Applewhite might have to prove himself as a HC. Could take longer since he has never truly been a play calling OC.

The buyout is not out of the norm...it coincides with the number of years left on the contract, i.e., a sliding scale downward for each year left on the contract.  UH Chancellor and President Renu Khator was not going to hire Lane Kiffin.  He had too much baggage and his track record at USC and Tennessee left much to be desired.  Dr. Khator does not want blemishes on the UH brand.  Tillman Fertitta may get the headlines, and probably rightfully so given that he spends his money on the University of Houston, but make no mistake, Dr. Khator is a power player, too.  She wanted either Major Applewhite or Todd Orlando.  Dr. Khator, Fertitta and AD Hunter Yurachek reached a consensus that the choice would be Major Applewhite.  Mack Brown gave a strong recommendation to Fertitta on behalf of Major Applewhite.  I think that carried the day for Major.  I'm a little surprised that Dr. Khator approved given Major's indiscretion at UT with a female staffer/trainer in the athletic department.  Supposedly, Major owned his mistake, asked for a second chance, and has been doing all the right things since learning from the incident.  Supposedly, he recommitted himself to his wife and family.  I don't know if all that is true or false (or somewhere in between), maybe the UT faithful can speak to that.  All I know is: he that is without sin, let him cast the first stone.  Here's to second chances and making things right.  I leaned in favor of Coach Todd Orlando...but, I'm supporting Major.  He can recruit, he can coach QBs, and I think he is ready to run his own program.  I think he can win at UH.  If he does well and leaves UH in 4 or 5 years, well that's life.  I'm not bitter.  Having people want your coach is a lot better than nobody wanting him.  Here's to hoping Major can find some good assistant coaches...namely a strong DC ala Todd Orlando because he is driving down US 290 toward Austin.  All aboard the Major train at UH.

Go Coogs...Go Indians.  Peace.

I am referring to his 2009 extramarital affair with a female student trainer while he was an assistant at the University of Texas. It led to a forced resignation.  This probably does not bother most, as the morals in our nation decline, but it bothers me.  And I bet it bothered his wife.  I think his hiring is a Major mistake.  Just my opinion, which I realize is irrelevant.

35 minutes ago, biggreycoug said:

I am referring to his 2009 extramarital affair with a female student trainer while he was an assistant at the University of Texas. It led to a forced resignation.  This probably does not bother most, as the morals in our nation decline, but it bothers me.  And I bet it bothered his wife.  I think his hiring is a Major mistake.  Just my opinion, which I realize is irrelevant.

Because a man cheated on his wife 8 years ago, he should not be allowed to be a Head Coach? 

For the bold, extramarital affairs bother me. I would never condone cheating on your wife/husband. But, since your morals are so high, I would assume you know about the power of forgiveness our Lord has blessed us with. The man made a mistake, has owned that mistake, and as another poster described rededicated himself to  his wife, who apparently forgave him. 

Get off your judgmental high horse.

Good, solid hire in my opinion. If he does great and moves on in 3, 4, or 5 years so be it. Unless you want a mediocre coach at Houston, this will be the deal for a long while. It has worked for them in the past. As for his affair, I of course don't condone it, but he owned it and has been a model citizen/coach since. Like someone stated, let he who hasn't sinned cast the first stone. As for Kiffin, I wouldn't say he's a weasel, more like a complete douchebag. ;-)

10 minutes ago, spoonbill said:

Good, solid hire in my opinion. If he does great and moves on in 3, 4, or 5 years so be it. Unless you want a mediocre coach at Houston, this will be the deal for a long while. It has worked for them in the past. As for his affair, I of course don't condone it, but he owned it and has been a model citizen/coach since. Like someone stated, let he who hasn't sinned cast the first stone. As for Kiffin, I wouldn't say he's a weasel, more like a complete douchebag. ;-)

Image result for lane kiffin

• 4 weeks later...