SETX Shortcomings

PlayActionPass

WOS is the flag bearer for SETX, they are always making deep playoff runs and in the talk for State Championships.

Why can't anybody else in the Area find the same formula?

Is it the winning tradition that sets WOS apart?

Is it the quality of the athletes?

Is it coaching?

What sets WOS apart from everybody else and what is missing from your program that keeps it from becoming a perennial contender?

11 minutes ago, oldage football said:

in wos the whole community has bought into the program-and supports the disciplined contained within- the ones that dont transfer out 

So it is the disciplined program and the community support that separates WOS from everybody else?

That is what makes them great and the rest of us just average?

40 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

WOS is the flag bearer for SETX, they are always making deep playoff runs and in the talk for State Championships.

Is it coaching?

What sets WOS apart from everybody else and what is missing from your program that keeps it from becoming a perennial contender?

WOS has very quality athletes. Their coach is also a very good coach. They have a great winning tradition.

Idk, do you have any ideas?

IMO...

1. Winning culture of high expectations and athlete commitment created by good, consistent coaching.

2. They can put 11 athletes on the field that can compete at almost any level in the state.

3. They've got a top notch field general right now, that really operates the offense. In my VERY limited opinion, in the past (8 years before the JD era), WOS seemed to do a lot of run, run, throw the deep ball and let their athleticism take over. In the little that I've seen the past 3 years, they've really been able to develop a diverse offensive scheme due to the continuity and skill at QB.

Disclaimer: I'm just a very casual fan, that never played the game. And.... I'm super proud that WOS is representing SETX so well.

9 minutes ago, dayton said:

IMO...

1. Winning culture of high expectations and athlete commitment created by good, consistent coaching.

2. They can put 11 athletes on the field that can compete at almost any level in the state.

3. They've got a top notch field general right now, that really operates the offense. In my VERY limited opinion, in the past (8 years before the JD era), WOS seemed to do a lot of run, run, throw the deep ball and let their athleticism take over. In the little that I've seen the past 3 years, they've really been able to develop a diverse offensive scheme due to the continuity and skill at QB.

Disclaimer: I'm just a very casual fan, that never played the game. And.... I'm super proud that WOS is representing SETX so well.

Don't discount your observations, I think they are accurate. I agree excellence comes from high expectations, accountability, great coaching, athleticism and a heckofa QB never hurts.

WOS is a traditional power school in a lot of sports as are others in the area but some are different sports strong.

Winning tradition start at junior high, then these well coach athletes move to the next level High school where they are well coached some more. If a school is fortunate to have and keep good coaches then the athletes are taught better and believe in them selves as a team and this will happening in all sports. It works at a lot of schools and also it doesn't last once key coachs move on to better their worth.

Only my opinion.

For several years there, WOS was as human as the rest of the programs in the area, I'd have to look at the playoff history.  I'm not taking anything away from their status as this area and one of the state giants, but don't get confused with what this group of seniors has done.  What this group has done is on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT level in my opinion. WOS has a great tradition and a great program, but this group is just something else.

2 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

Is it coaching?

We (Central) have the athletes...

My theory is the kids that played in the 80's and 90's stayed in the community as well as extended family and they continue to reproduce really good football genes in Orange. My theory is also that WOS has a lot more really good athletes than the majority of 4a schools. It just so happens their population shrunk, but kept the same amount of good athletes. That along with some good coaching and champion mindset. That's my attempt at WOS formula. lol

24 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

We (Central) have the athletes...

I know you do Jag. There is no doubt about that. Central has the cats to be Regional Contender every year and on those special years State Championship contenders. Why can't they get over the hump? Crosby is very similar. What is the X-Factor? What has WOS done that nobody else in our area can?

I hope no WOS fan takes this wrong, but at the 5a and 6a level, Houston area has some really good football teams every year and appears there's new schools popping up every year at these levels. Beaumont area has to play those schools first couple of rounds and IMO is the reason for the quick exit from playoffs. WOS in the playoffs usually has a lot easier matchups until 4 or 5 rounds. With that being said, WOS could hang or beat most 5a schools in the area.

4 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I have a theory or 2.  But before I share.

Name the schools in SeTX that have had the same coach for 10+ or so years.  Any sport..boys or girls.

my sentiments exactly - the programs in this area with the most success are the ones with the longest tenured staffs -- Wos - Newton - Nederland - money not the key to keeping good coaches - it where they live - its home - when the community stands by em  they will give u a program that everyone is proud of - when the right group comes thru you get to look at the finals - thats not an every year thing - but the support and pride of the whole town and standing up for kids and coaches that is a everyday privilege.

You can zero on just about any rural area in the state and find just a couple powerhouses.  Those fast growing areas have sheer numbers.  These rural areas aren't growing and as a matter of fact a lot of the population continues to the houston, dallas, san antonio metro areas.    

A lot of it also depends on what you call SE Texas.   If it is just Orange, Jefferson, and Hardin county then you aren't looking at too many school.   Orange county has 5, Jefferson 8, and Hardin 8.

With there being over 1000 high schools the odds of winning just one per year is pretty low.

Harris county has 104 high schools by itself.  Throw in Jasper, Newton, Polk, Tyler, Chambers county and we still have less school than just the metro of houston.

It is not coincidence that a lot of these new schools are doing so well.  These places are attracting families, good coaches and athletes with their top notch facilities and high school programs. 

Lots of good insightful thoughts on this thread. Many things go in to consistency. Hard to put your finger on one. All have been mentioned. For us, we always had the kids, we just didn't believe. Traylor brought that. Took 3 years to get it turned around. Doing things we never thought we could do. Installing the offense and getting the kids to buy in may have been the biggest challenge. We ran it from the beginning, 7th thru 12th. Don't think they even cared about won/loss records. Took some time, but he built a power. So what I would say to get things going your way, is a strong motivator for a coach, time from the school and fans to build it, and build it from the ground floor. From the littlest kids you can coach. Traylor kept his coaches too. Not many left while he was in charge and he surrounded himself with people who thought just like he did. We are 26-2 since he left. Haven't missed a beat.