SABINE PASS SHARK CLASSIC/POST UPDATES HERE!

WOSgrad

HF wins against Sabine Pass and the refs.  Devren Clark scored 30 and 26 in the final two games. Again no D1 players in the gym unless you are talking about him. Best player in the tourney by far. HF with 3 sophomores and 3 freshman is starting to play a little better as a team  and the 3 senior starters are leading them and making them better

48 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

I am surprised Sabine Pass has a Freshman, JV, and Varisty. For a school that size, it says a lot about the program. 

Here's what it says to me...Sabine Pass will let any person in the school with a pulse play basketball if they want to.  Having too many kids on the floor during practice time will not be good for whoever is on the varsity team.  Limited goals, limited reps, limited coaching attention...  They need to let some of those kids loose and make sure the kids that will actually contribute to varsity competition get all the reps they need.  I'll bet money that no other teams in that district will have a freshman team.  If they aren't good enough to play JV or Varsity at Sabine Pass...send them to offseason.

10 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Here's what it says to me...Sabine Pass will let any person in the school with a pulse play basketball if they want to.  Having too many kids on the floor during practice time will not be good for whoever is on the varsity team.  Limited goals, limited reps, limited coaching attention...  They need to let some of those kids loose and make sure the kids that will actually contribute to varsity competition get all the reps they need.  I'll bet money that no other teams in that district will have a freshman team.  If they aren't good enough to play JV or Varsity at Sabine Pass...send them to offseason.

You would lose that bet.

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

You would lose that bet.

So Sabine Pass freshmen team gonna get a lot of district games this year?  If that's a bet I would lose then it sounds to me like that whole district has the same problem.  Bottom line...if you aren't good enough to be on a JV or varsity at a 2A school (ANY 2A school) then you probably won't ever contribute.  And they need to go to offseason because if they aren't good enough for 2A JV then they probably need to be stronger or faster.  Or both.

No sense in keeping more kids than you can use to run team offense or defense with during practice.  If you have enough to have about 7 or 8 on JV and no more than 10 on varsity...that's MORE than enough.  Everyone else is in the way.

9 minutes ago, the known unknown said:

It's my understanding that another varsity team dropped out of the tournament at the last minute, so Sabine Pass had to split the JV team into two in order to fill the brackets. 

Split JV team aside.. Boys Harbor, High Island, Sabine Pass.  WHY is a 4A school playing in a tournament with those schools?

12 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

So Sabine Pass freshmen team gonna get a lot of district games this year?  If that's a bet I would lose then it sounds to me like that whole district has the same problem.  Bottom line...if you aren't good enough to be on a JV or varsity at a 2A school (ANY 2A school) then you probably won't ever contribute.  And they need to go to offseason because if they aren't good enough for 2A JV then they probably need to be stronger or faster.  Or both.

No sense in keeping more kids than you can use to run team offense or defense with during practice.  If you have enough to have about 7 or 8 on JV and no more than 10 on varsity...that's MORE than enough.  Everyone else is in the way.

Michael Jordan was once cut from a freshman team, might not have been a 2A, but if I'm correct he ended up contributing later on...just a little. If a school is able to split their JV and have two teams, do it! It gives kids to get on the court, and grow as players. My freshman year at a 2A school we would split freshman off the JV when we could to play freshman games. I also played quite a bit on JV that year, but not near as much as I would when we would split. I think if you are able to split and get players on the court do it!