MY RANT OF THE COVERAGE AREA,SO TO SPEAK

pakronos

9 minutes ago, Bronco94 said:

21-5a will run a sweep on 22-5a next year and if not, we will still take it 3-1. Dayton, Crosby, New Caney, and Barbers Hill. Sorry 22-5a nothing personal, just business.

This is the funniest thing posted tonight.  With PAM, PNG, Vidor, Ned, and Central always fighting for the four playoffs spots every year, I see our District finishing no worst than 2-2 the next several years in the first round of playoffs.  

And this tete de tete about a sweep during the first round of the playoffs is kinda what kronos is talking about.  Say that Broncos94 is right and all of the All Pro athletes that are mired in the sub varsity ranks come out and shine like the stars that apparently everyone should believe they are and they sweep 22-5A in bi-district.  So what?  Only to be sent to the basketball courts the very next week as has been the recent experience?

While many have here disagreed with what he said and I too have my disagreements with some of his statements, most of the responses have borne out what he has claimed.

Now, where I have the major disagreement is the role of the coaches in this "failure" to reach beyond the second or third round.  The coach is but a very small component in that he sometimes has to battle his own school administration for control of the team or even worse, parents who might hold a little higher opinion of Little Johnny's skills than is warranted.  There is only so much that the coach can do, he can't force kids to workout on their own in off season and he can't help it when he doesn't have the support of his administration or even the community at large.  And finally, he can't help it when the team that he faces, much as we all hate to admit it, is simply better than our beloved team.  There are simply some situations where the other side has the horses that you don't and even Vince Lombardi being on the sideline instead of Ken Harrison, Brandon Faircloth, Larry Neumann, Jeff Mathews, or Toby Foreman. 

Pretty much every bit of the community needs to be in lock step and at the very least, let the coach coach his team.  That is what you have by and large with the teams in this area that do succeed.  Cornel Thompson is the boss at West Orange-Stark.....W.T. Johnston is the boss in Newton.  I know you believe it is because of the "boo-boo" opponents as I have long been witness to the notion in existing in parts of Jefferson County that quality football is played only at 5A and above.  And it is buying into notions like that which paint you as much of the problem as being the bearer of the solutions.  I don't subscribe to the notion that it takes a village to raise a child, but it sure does take one to win a state championship.

This post reminds me of a thread from a few years back that brought up that "winning recipe." What is it that makes the biggest difference?  Coaching or talent?   You could argue both sides and if you really dug into it you could find the answers based on the schools in this area.  For example, look at PAM and WOS, both have great talent but one wins state and the other loses to an inferior opponent, Why? 

Look at BC, Vidor, PNG, NED and even OF; those schools have average talent with a few high caliber athletes mixed in but not near the talent of PAM and WOS.  IMO they have above average coaching which allows them to compete and win those games when they are outmatched talent wise. Ex. Vidor v PAM

The next thing is to determine what scale you use to measure success and talent.  Are your expectations too high or unrealistic?  The bottom line is while it does take some above average coaching and some moments of great coaching, without great talent you can't win it all, period.   Some areas are more fortunate than others and are blessed with better athletes.  It comes and goes around here. 

I'm not going to speak as if I know much about Harrison's philosophy or coaching tactics, but from what you just read there's only one reason why they will be sitting at home next weekend, and from what I've seen it's not because a lack of talent.  

PNG ran into a Buzz Saw in College Station.  They had a combination of size, speed, and discipline.  Only one which can be taught.  Those boys should win it all.

I think you're jab at the overall coaching in this area is inaccurate. Perhaps you are correct in your assessment of PAM but to throw those "fake Indians" in there with it is asinine.  You obviously didn't watch the game.

4 hours ago, pakronos said:

want to use this time to bring up a dead horse and the same stuff i preach in general. THE COACHING IN THIS AREA SUCKS. i'll use PAM game today as an example. Temple didn't do ANYTHING fancy. they barley was winning games this year, but they looked polished. nothing looked like a mistake. ANY LOCAL TEAM, including PNG, that think this was a good run for your team is smoking the same bong that Kenny ray, Neumann, faircloth, Matthews, forman and any coach in Jefferson county or in the region(you know what I mean). you look at the teams that beat ALL our teams. you saw a totally different product on the otherside. I don't think those kids are no better than the ones we all support. but this mediocre of football we accept is plain dumb. I don't, but the majority of people on this board pride themselves on DC...beating a cross town rival...getting so many players in D1 schools...etc...the Manvels, Tempels, Marshalls, etc...DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT. IT'S A WAY OF LIFE!! Katy I'm willing to bet come Monday it's like august have started. weight rooms should be clanking away. come summer, wr and qb's need to have sleep overs and work together.. WITH THE PLAYBOOK. OL and DL need to be in camps learning technique...but hey as long as everyone makes the playoffs in cupcake world, make it to the 2nd and 3rd rd...it's all honky dory...THATS A LOSERS MENTALITY AND WE NEED TO GET EVERYONE A PARTICIPATION TROPHY!!! DEMAND MORE OF THESE COACHES!!!! PAM ran the same plays over and over...they look like sand lot plays!!!!! PAM and PNG looked good, but NEITHER played ANYONE. Johnson looked slow against PAM and was sacked 7 times. BF made no adjustment. read the PASNOOZE where PAM DC admits he dial the defense back when a comfortable lead is obtained..like a 31-14 lead in the fourth and looked what had happen. almost ended in a loss!! I will give LN this. he don't make DUMB decisions, he knows where to play people, but that's about it. maybe the talent he has is overwhelmed when he gets to the 3rd rd?? idk, but this HORRIBLE!! 

WOS- you are in a different convo. it's just you guys are fortunate to have great coaching with nice athletes....that play boo boo teams, which you can't help that. it is what it is. you guys don't see any real comp till rd 4 or 5 lol....enjoy it...

The reason my Jags lost to New Caney wasn't because of better talent in the black and blue uniforms that night...

I will say this, I don't ever really agree with Pakronos's logic for good reason, but man when he stirs the pot you find out exactly how everyone feels about PAM. We ALWAYS have talent, there's no doubting that, but when our district is constantly  getting wiped out in the 2nd round and IF lucky the 3rd round, something needs to change. I know everyone likes to say "go be the coach then", trust me I would love to coach PAM to a state championship, I've lived here my whole life, but right now that isn't  feasible, I'm still pretty young compared to most of you so maybe it'll happen someday, but right now we have to support what we have. I've questioned kennys game plans just like everyone else but I'm a realist, in the grand scheme of things our district is usually an afterthought. Having PAM in 22-5a will help the district Improve in the long run. We got our butts kicked today for sure, the injury bug hits every team so no excuses there. If anything Hines going down showed us exactly how one dimensional we really were. 

2 hours ago, Lamar1996 said:

Since the good old days of youth football, RJ and team have yet to lose a game against any District challenger.  PAM broke that this season, but they were the better team that night.  The two classes of players behind RJ have crazy talent coming up.  If you think that your freshman team of players will get you to the promise land, well think again.  Those boys are good, but we are just that much better. 

I didn't see much talent at the JV game that evening at the Butch...41-14 i think it was...

2 hours ago, Lamar1996 said:

This is the funniest thing posted tonight.  With PAM, PNG, Vidor, Ned, and Central always fighting for the four playoffs spots every year, I see our District finishing no worst than 2-2 the next several years in the first round of playoffs.  

The Jaguars lost to New Caney this year but I'd put up a wager that no matter who New Caney plays in the playoffs next year from our district, the Eagles will take a L.  They are not better than any of our top 5 teams...

7 hours ago, pakronos said:

want to use this time to bring up a dead horse and the same stuff i preach in general. THE COACHING IN THIS AREA SUCKS. i'll use PAM game today as an example. Temple didn't do ANYTHING fancy. they barley was winning games this year, but they looked polished. nothing looked like a mistake. ANY LOCAL TEAM, including PNG, that think this was a good run for your team is smoking the same bong that Kenny ray, Neumann, faircloth, Matthews, forman and any coach in Jefferson county or in the region(you know what I mean). you look at the teams that beat ALL our teams. you saw a totally different product on the otherside. I don't think those kids are no better than the ones we all support. but this mediocre of football we accept is plain dumb. I don't, but the majority of people on this board pride themselves on DC...beating a cross town rival...getting so many players in D1 schools...etc...the Manvels, Tempels, Marshalls, etc...DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT. IT'S A WAY OF LIFE!! Katy I'm willing to bet come Monday it's like august have started. weight rooms should be clanking away. come summer, wr and qb's need to have sleep overs and work together.. WITH THE PLAYBOOK. OL and DL need to be in camps learning technique...but hey as long as everyone makes the playoffs in cupcake world, make it to the 2nd and 3rd rd...it's all honky dory...THATS A LOSERS MENTALITY AND WE NEED TO GET EVERYONE A PARTICIPATION TROPHY!!! DEMAND MORE OF THESE COACHES!!!! PAM ran the same plays over and over...they look like sand lot plays!!!!! PAM and PNG looked good, but NEITHER played ANYONE. Johnson looked slow against PAM and was sacked 7 times. BF made no adjustment. read the PASNOOZE where PAM DC admits he dial the defense back when a comfortable lead is obtained..like a 31-14 lead in the fourth and looked what had happen. almost ended in a loss!! I will give LN this. he don't make DUMB decisions, he knows where to play people, but that's about it. maybe the talent he has is overwhelmed when he gets to the 3rd rd?? idk, but this HORRIBLE!! 

WOS- you are in a different convo. it's just you guys are fortunate to have great coaching with nice athletes....that play boo boo teams, which you can't help that. it is what it is. you guys don't see any real comp till rd 4 or 5 lol....enjoy it...

Go get you a bachelors year degree(because you obviously don't have one) and I'm sure any one of the schools you mentioned would fire their head coach and hire you immediately as the head coach. You could then take them to the promise land. 

3 hours ago, studd88 said:

The shots at WOS get old. We compete against the schools our size. We don't have to Beat PAM,Crosby,Png...etc. we have to beat 4a div2 teams. Maybe we just make them look like boo boo...smh

I can't believe this clown could even put WOS and boo boo in the same sentence. We're talking about the best team in Texas. I can't wait to see them play 

The problem with coaching in 5a and 6a ball is that the larger cities(like the Houston area) have numerous 5a and 6a schools and the better players wind up going to a school that has a winning program. This leaves the smaller cities with only one or two schools at a disadvantage. This is why towns like WO-S and Newton can still compete.  Example, Katy has around 6 schools that are 6a, its amazing how this one school is heads above the other schools.   You could move Katy's coach to West Brook and Katy would still dominate. Are you could have one school like Allen with 6,380 kids. UIL has a problem. I don't think you will ever see a state championship in 5a or 6a in the triangle area again unless UIL changes things to a more equal playing field.

So, don't blame it all on the coaches.

2 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

The problem with coaching in 5a and 6a ball is that the larger cities(like the Houston area) have numerous 5a and 6a schools and the better players wind up going to a school that has a winning program. This leaves the smaller cities with only one or two schools at a disadvantage. This is why towns like WO-S and Newton can still compete.  Example, Katy has around 6 schools that are 6a, its amazing how this one school is heads above the other schools.   You could move Katy's coach to West Brook and Katy would still dominate. Are you could have one school like Allen with 6,380 kids. UIL has a problem. I don't think you will ever see a state championship in 5a or 6a in the triangle area again unless UIL changes things to a more equal playing field.

So, don't blame it all on the coaches.

You've brought up some good points that many of us overlooked, or have forgotten about, and the Katy situation is a prime example.  This athletic migration has changed High School football as many of us remember it. Yes, the UIL has a problem, but I'm not sure they know it, or care.

The Dallas area has a distinct advantage over the Houston area due to the fact they have so many distinct towns that have their own school district.

Desoto and Cedar Hill come to mind.

In the Houston area, cedar hill would be fort bend Hightower, then right when they syart flexing their muscles, Ridge point opens up. Right when George ranch starts flexing their muscles, a Greatwood high school will be built.

Katy is sort of its own thing, but everywhere else the fractured aspect of the districts is a hinder and, not a help.

Klein Collins is finally getting it going again. They will have another Klein school soon, book it. And this will set them back a few years again.

PAM doesn't have any excuse. They have the one school and plenty of athletes.

Guest Aledoalumni
13 hours ago, JPG8101 said:

This post reminds me of a thread from a few years back that brought up that "winning recipe." What is it that makes the biggest difference?  Coaching or talent?   You could argue both sides and if you really dug into it you could find the answers based on the schools in this area.  For example, look at PAM and WOS, both have great talent but one wins state and the other loses to an inferior opponent, Why? 

Look at BC, Vidor, PNG, NED and even OF; those schools have average talent with a few high caliber athletes mixed in but not near the talent of PAM and WOS.  IMO they have above average coaching which allows them to compete and win those games when they are outmatched talent wise. Ex. Vidor v PAM

The next thing is to determine what scale you use to measure success and talent.  Are your expectations too high or unrealistic?  The bottom line is while it does take some above average coaching and some moments of great coaching, without great talent you can't win it all, period.   Some areas are more fortunate than others and are blessed with better athletes.  It comes and goes around here. 

I'm not going to speak as if I know much about Harrison's philosophy or coaching tactics, but from what you just read there's only one reason why they will be sitting at home next weekend, and from what I've seen it's not because a lack of talent.  

PNG ran into a Buzz Saw in College Station.  They had a combination of size, speed, and discipline.  Only one which can be taught.  Those boys should win it all.

I think you're jab at the overall coaching in this area is inaccurate. Perhaps you are correct in your assessment of PAM but to throw those "fake Indians" in there with it is asinine.  You obviously didn't watch the game.

Think CS can beat FB Marshall, Calallen/Victoria East,  Aledo/Lancaster and win state? Certainly have proven to be a really good team. 

47 minutes ago, Daenerys said:

Think CS can beat FB Marshall, Calallen/Victoria East,  Aledo/Lancaster and win state? Certainly have proven to be a really good team. 

I can't speak on those other teams but based on what I saw, they look like the team to beat.  They will give up some big plays in the secondary but that offense can score at will.  Good Luck when y'all get to play them, you'll probably need it ;)

14 hours ago, studd88 said:

The shots at WOS get old. We compete against the schools our size. We don't have to Beat PAM,Crosby,Png...etc. we have to beat 4a div2 teams. Maybe we just make them look like boo boo...smh

It's jealousy.   Besides, you would make the 5A teams look like "boo boo" too but only one of them had the stones to play you.   And they looked like "boo boo," unlike when they got into district.  

Look PAK.... PAM has more talent than any team in the district... By a mile... The reason all of us OTHERS get excited about a few playoff wins is simple... We do not have tons of D1 athletes oozing out every year.. By a landslide PAM does.... So we are coached up as much as our undersized slow kids can go... We have a few studs in the mix... Against PAM, PNG had only 1 kid that would have started on that team... And he would have played DB more than likely... Not QB as he does for us..... That is just facts... Put BF or LN over at PAM... I promise they bust Temple in the butt with all the talent you guys have... So my conclusion is this.... Do not hate on all of us......