Reg. Semi Final 6A/D2 Beaumont West Brook (11-1) vs Spring Westfield (9-3)

29 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Longview is bigger and more physical on the offensive line than Westfield. They are bigger than the Woodz too. So, if they could beat them...........I agree though that Wf should be the favorites. I just wouldn't say Wb couldn't handle them for that reason. Y'all could be right about the WB offense vs the Westfield defense. The WF defense has a lot of size and speed. More size on the line than The Woodz if I remember correctly and probably more speed too. That's why I think WF may win. That Westfield defense should give them several problems, IF they tackle well..

We'll see, I know I'll be cheering on West Brook.

Cant say i saw it coming, not after the first 4 years, and still couldnt believe with those offense play calls, that the Bruins would be in this spot. So as i sit here and eat crow, while watching this young QB lead his team, man, anything is possible. Go Bruins!!!

Defense will need a few stops

Brook 56

Westfield 48

On 11/21/2016 at 5:10 PM, BrookAlumni said:

Cant say i saw it coming, not after the first 4 years, and still couldnt believe with those offense play calls, that the Bruins would be in this spot. So as i sit here and eat crow, while watching this young QB lead his team, man, anything is possible. Go Bruins!!!

Defense will need a few stops

Brook 56

Westfield 48

I hope you are correct and my wife is correct about me being an idiot.

On 11/19/2016 at 4:18 PM, 82 5A State Champs said:

I disagree, bro. If Durley doesn't have cancer, I think WB could have won another state title. The 83 season, they were undefeated, until Dickinson beat Brook, in the second round. Darley died in 84, before the season started.Then we get Leo Nolan, who coached for 2 seasons, and did ok, but didn't set the world on fire. Hentschel coached from 86 to 96, and had 3 undefeated seasons, but couldn't win in the playoffs. Al Rabb coached from 97 to 04, and we all know how bad WB was then, except for the Chip Ambres 97 team. Stump coached from 05 to 12, and had playoff wins in all of his seasons, as head coach, except for his last season, when little Stump was the QB. I'm proud of what this team has done, with this coaching staff. They have gotten a lot better, over the last couple of seasons. I hope we'replaying football, in December, but that's very difficult to do.

Not to take anything away from Durley because he was a great coach and great man, but WB had some unique dynamics in the early 80s. I do agree Durley was and is the best WB coach ever but not just cuz of state title. 

I think Flanigan is doing just fine. With all the poop in BISD he has managed to stay focused and keep WB in the playoffs. I realize he has had his negative fans during his tenure, but he doesn't lose focus. Message board clowns will always be just that, Clowns! Let the coach coach and support the kids. WB has a shot.

On 11/23/2016 at 7:27 AM, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

Not to take anything away from Durley because he was a great coach and great man, but WB had some unique dynamics in the early 80s. I do agree Durley was and is the best WB coach ever but not just cuz of state title. 

Awesome story, I didn't realize what he accomplished! Thanks for sharing that.

9 hours ago, kicker said:

Awesome story, I didn't realize what he accomplished! Thanks for sharing that.

West Brook had so many things go their way, that year. The ball bounced their way a bunch of times, from Jerry Ball blocking a Sterling FG attempt, that would have won the game for the Rangers, in the Area Round, to the 4th and 33 yard conversion (botched punt attempt for the Bruins, that was thrown) for a TD, in the Semi Final game against Judson, the Bruins had a lot of luck. It's very, very difficult to get to a state title game, much less win one. I'm not suggesting they can't get back to another one, I'm simply saying they're going to have to have a staple win, or multiple wins. Beating Westfield would be a statement win. I hope our boys can pull it off.

Incidentally, the 1982 Bruins set some records, that had never happened, at that point, and are still unbelievable. They were the first school in 5A to win a state championship in its infancy, or its first year of existence. They were the first school in 5A to win a title with a black head coach. They were the first school to win a state title from the Runner up position, in District, entering the playoffs (Thomas Jefferson was the district championship for 22-5A). And West Brook was the first school in 5A to win a state title with more than one loss. The Bruins posted a record of 11-4-1, that year. Just some fun facts that make this the Bruins fun to watch , and be a part of. If WB wins, against Westfield, they will make history, because it will be the first 12 win season in school history.

18 hours ago, 82 5A State Champs said:

Incidentally, the 1982 Bruins set some records, that had never happened, at that point, and are still unbelievable. They were the first school in 5A to win a state championship in its infancy, or its first year of existence. They were the first school in 5A to win a title with a black head coach. They were the first school to win a state title from the Runner up position, in District, entering the playoffs (Thomas Jefferson was the district championship for 22-5A). And West Brook was the first school in 5A to win a state title with more than one loss. The Bruins posted a record of 11-4-1, that year. Just some fun facts that make this the Bruins fun to watch , and be a part of. If WB wins, against Westfield, they will make history, because it will be the first 12 win season in school history.

Can't wait.

On 11/19/2016 at 4:17 PM, D3zii said:

Thanks for pointing this out.  Finally, a Stump believer!!  This guy can flat out coach, period!  I am by no means taking away from anyone else, but when he was in the area, he was the best one around.  He is a proven winner, a great coach, and a remarkable role model.  Don't forget the fact that he also had stints at the college level, Miss. State, Tulane, and Southwest Texas(Texas State).  Everything he does and accomplishes in a football program is remarkable.  His football knowledge is above the majority of high school coaches.  His ability to lead, inspire, game plan, and execute a program is something to be admired.  To say he is arrogant is just absurd.  It's called confidence.  To the average Joe or armchair quarterback, it is easily misconstrued.  Maybe he wouldn't talk to someone about their junior league playbook or their football "expertise" they acquired from the band section, not sure what it is.  However, he is far from arrogant.  He led the Brook to multiple district championships, playoffs on a regular basis, and the 3rd round at least 3 times with losses to Cy Falls, KATY, and Cinco Ranch.  82, you are a bit mistaken my friend.  Little Stump did not play in the playoff game his senior year.  He was injured the week before against LaPorte and the backup had to play.  Deer Park won on a late field goal at the Butch that year.  The need to throw in the "little Stump" is yet another uncalled for comment from you.  The man is a winner.  His resume speaks for itself.  It's easy to second guess and question when you know very little about the game.  If Lamar was smart, they would be blowing up his phone every day and camping out in front of his house with an open checkbook.  Craig Stump, Head Coach Lamar University.  I like the sound of that!!!!!

We can say what we want by the guy wins 

Kelly

W.Brook

and now Ataschosita 

On 11/19/2016 at 4:18 PM, 82 5A State Champs said:

I disagree, bro. If Durley doesn't have cancer, I think WB could have won another state title. The 83 season, they were undefeated, until Dickinson beat Brook, in the second round. Darley died in 84, before the season started.Then we get Leo Nolan, who coached for 2 seasons, and did ok, but didn't set the world on fire. Hentschel coached from 86 to 96, and had 3 undefeated seasons, but couldn't win in the playoffs. Al Rabb coached from 97 to 04, and we all know how bad WB was then, except for the Chip Ambres 97 team. Stump coached from 05 to 12, and had playoff wins in all of his seasons, as head coach, except for his last season, when little Stump was the QB. I'm proud of what this team has done, with this coaching staff. They have gotten a lot better, over the last couple of seasons. I hope we'replaying football, in December, but that's very difficult to do.

We agree to disagree,,and that's fine. Not taking anything away from Craig, he was a good coach, and did alot for the program . As far as his last season, it was by far his worst. I don't recall #8 being injured for the Deer Park game, and a backup playing. IMO, he should have been the backup, and let a more qualified player be the starter. I think that's where some folks think he was arrogant. By playing favorites, and not putting the personnel in the positions that gave us the best chance to win. Again, I still think he is a good Coach, and is proving it in Atascocita. 

On November 19, 2016 at 3:33 PM, BMTSoulja1 said:

Some say Stump was the best in Beaumont when he was here.  some say he was the best coach in Bruin history.... 

Some say that?  Don't even come close to agreeing with them.  Imo, Alex Durley was one of the best coaches ever in the area, if not the best.  Remember watching South Park roll under McCarthey (sp?).  I thot, Wow, he's good.  Then he goes to Orange and I couldn't believe the difference.  Then I found out Coach Durley was the OC at South Park.  And then he wins the SC at West Brook, in an actual story book year.  A few good bounces - ok.  But very few coaches, at any level, could have brought that team (those two teams, Hebert & Forest Park) together to play as a team.  Had the good fortune to meet him at a Punt, Pass, & Kick competition, as both our sons competed.  In that brief encounter, he impressed me as a class act.  No reflection on Coach Stump, who I think is good, but there aren't many Alex Durleys that come along.

3 hours ago, REBgp said:

Some say that?  Don't even come close to agreeing with them.  Imo, Alex Durley was one of the best coaches ever in the area, if not the best.  Remember watching South Park roll under McCarthey (sp?).  I thot, Wow, he's good.  Then he goes to Orange and I couldn't believe the difference.  Then I found out Coach Durley was the OC at South Park.  And then he wins the SC at West Brook, in an actual story book year.  A few good bounces - ok.  But very few coaches, at any level, could have brought that team (those two teams, Hebert & Forest Park) together to play as a team.  Had the good fortune to meet him at a Punt, Pass, & Kick competition, as both our sons competed.  In that brief encounter, he impressed me as a class act.  No reflection on Coach Stump, who I think is good, but there aren't many Alex Durleys that come along.

When did Alex Durley go to Orange?  And where did he coach in Orange?

4 hours ago, kicker said:

I believe he is referring to coach Steve Mcarty who was the first head coach at West Orange Stark.

That's correct Kicker, thanks.  McCarty was a decent coach, but Durley was the offensive mind at South Park (as I remember).  Maybe an old Greenie can confirm.