Highest paid high school coaches in Houston area

Cougar14.2

Jeff Riordan from Crosby #6 at slightly under $118,000

Dayton didn't turn their info in but I'm pretty sure Jeff Nations started out at $105,000

Interesting thing is that Caney Creek's coach is not required to win but Conroe ISD pays so much he makes $105,000 regardless, but is still probably the lowest paid coach in Conroe ISD.

Tom Westeberg at BH probably beat out Katy's Gary Joseph as the highest paid coach in the Houston area but his salary wasn't reported.   

This is the hidden content, please

7 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Dayton didn't turn their info in but I'm pretty sure Jeff Nations started out at $105,000

Interesting thing is that Caney Creek's coach is not required to win but Conroe ISD pays so much he makes $105,000 regardless, but is still probably the lowest paid coach in Conroe ISD.

Tom Westeberg at BH probably beat out Katy's Gary Joseph as the highest paid coach in the Houston area but his salary wasn't reported.   

Westerberg does make more.  But he's earned it.

25 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Nations did not start off at $105,00 or even close to that.

19 hours ago, SETEXFan said:

Nations did not start off at $105,00 or even close to that.

In 1995 Jerry Stewart started out as the 31st highest paid coach in Texas before even making the playoffs. The listing Dayton posted for the AD opening when Hancock wasn't retained stated the job paid $105,000. I couldn't find the listing again but I'm sure somebody knows how to search for it in one of the old threads. So unless Dayton ISD lied on their listing or significantly reduced their AD's pay scale comparable to the rest of the state that's what he's making. I doubt when a member of your church hires you without going through the real interview process they're going to pay you the low end of the listing which was $90k or $95K.    

4 hours ago, KABrother said:

Curious if the coaches who are also ADs had that portion of their salaries included as well.  Guess it may depend on the contract wording I feel the AD position is payed seperately.  Article I found on Westerberg when he was hired said he would make 130-150 a year so at minimum he would be top-3.

My understanding is that Westeberg is right at $140,000 or a little north of that. The article includes the total compensation for the coach even if he's the AD. Puts it all into perspective when you realize districts like Cy-Fair ISD pay their head football coaches over $1million before they even pay any other coaches or the AD. 

24 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

My understanding is that Westeberg is right at $140,000 or a little north of that. The article includes the total compensation for the coach even if he's the AD. Puts it all into perspective when you realize districts like Cy-Fair ISD pay their head football coaches over $1million before they even pay any other coaches or the AD. 

Kind of an apples to oranges comparison don't you think?   Cy-Fair has 11 teams to BH's one.

53 minutes ago, bigdog said:

Kind of an apples to oranges comparison don't you think?   Cy-Fair has 11 teams to BH's one.

Wasn't making a comparison. Westeberg makes more money than any of those Cy-Fair coaches and is probably the highest paid coach in Texas. I was pointing that out because neither place has to compensate their coaches like they do, but it does put into perspective who is dedicated to winning and how dedicated they are. Prime example is look how long it took Neumann to get to his current salary, if he leaves what kind of established coach do you think you're going to get willing to start out at $85k. If Riordan left, Crosby could go get Jon Kay at North Shore and it would be a raise from what he's making in GPISD. Huge advantage to being/staying competitive when you're community and administration are willing to allocate the necessary resources to do so.   

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Wasn't making a comparison. Westeberg makes more money than any of those Cy-Fair coaches and is probably the highest paid coach in Texas. I was pointing that out because neither place has to compensate their coaches like they do, but it does put into perspective who is dedicated to winning and how dedicated they are. Prime example is look how long it took Neumann to get to his current salary, if he leaves what kind of established coach do you think you're going to get willing to start out at $85k. If Riordan left, Crosby could go get Jon Kay at North Shore and it would be a raise from what he's making in GPISD. Huge advantage to being/staying competitive when you're community and administration are willing to allocate the necessary resources to do so.   

True. Or you could use the tried and true method of just hiring friends. Winning isn't everything. Keeping locals gainfully employed is much more important.

8 hours ago, KABrother said:

Curious if the coaches who are also ADs had that portion of their salaries included as well.  Guess it may depend on the contract wording I feel the AD position is payed seperately.  Article I found on Westerberg when he was hired said he would make 130-150 a year so at minimum he would be top-3.

They did. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I hate to tell you but Neumann doesn't make $85k.  He is probably pretty close to what Crosby's coach is making.

39 minutes ago, Uncle Si said:

I just don't see how this is anybody's business other than the coach and the admin..  In my business you will get your behind fired for talking employee salary.  Really, who's business is it???

Disagree. Taxpayers pay the salary. The should know. Glad to see we are working hard to keep one of the best young coaches around. 

2 hours ago, bigdog said:

I hate to tell you but Neumann doesn't make $85k.  He is probably pretty close to what Crosby's coach is making.

I know he doesn't make $85k, if I remember correctly he makes just under $100k. Fact is he's been there over two decades and Dayton just hired a guy that's never been a head coach at what would be a good raise for Neumann because that's what it takes to compete and not lose your coach over here.

Dayton could hire a guy like Larry Fedora at the same money Riordan makes and nobody would bat an eye. You pay him that kind money in Nederland over what a guy like LN has done and someone might look down their nose; just a different thought process to fixing already good enough. 5A Crosby's thought process was to let go of a guy that's got 6A Westbrook 10-1 right now. Don't think it's a coincidence Crosby going for their 4th straight 10 win season Friday night though. 

*I know you're one of the people on here that will go look into things before you post about them. I know Bronco Pride is a stickler for legendary high school coaches like me. It hurts me because the wife went there but go look up Reginald Samples and his work at Dallas Skyline and where he is now at Duncanville all because DISD didn't want to pay to play. 

On 11/15/2016 at 9:31 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

In 1995 Jerry Stewart started out as the 31st highest paid coach in Texas before even making the playoffs. The listing Dayton posted for the AD opening when Hancock wasn't retained stated the job paid $105,000. I couldn't find the listing again but I'm sure somebody knows how to search for it in one of the old threads. So unless Dayton ISD lied on their listing or significantly reduced their AD's pay scale comparable to the rest of the state that's what he's making. I doubt when a member of your church hires you without going through the real interview process they're going to pay you the low end of the listing which was $90k or $95K.    

I am not a dayton guy but a good friend at work is and she has made the same comment.  Church connection was big reason for the hire.  She had a son play for Dayton and is kinda in the know over there.  Doesn't mean he won't do a good job.  Just pretty weird to hear the same thing in two unrelated places.