Lamar Football Coach

78Stang

Can I please have the Football or Basketball head coaching job at Lamar? I have no coaching experience, no experience in judging talent and have never coached a team, much less won a game. BUT I do have a gift of feeding people a line of BS and making them love it. That seems to be all it takes to be a head coach at Lamar. Heck, win a game or two every year and you get a raise and contract extension for life. What a great job.

8 hours ago, 78Stang said:

Can I please have the Football or Basketball head coaching job at Lamar? I have no coaching experience, no experience in judging talent and have never coached a team, much less won a game. BUT I do have a gift of feeding people a line of BS and making them love it. That seems to be all it takes to be a head coach at Lamar. Heck, win a game or two every year and you get a raise and contract extension for life. What a great job.

In his defense this year, Lamar has been decimated with injuries. Down to their 5th string QB and 3rd string RB.

12 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

I have been to all the home games and that team competes for 4 quarters. 

It's definitely not lack of effort. Woodard will probably get a pass due to injuries. They're down to a true freshman QB with a true freshman walkon as backup. True freshman RBs also. Someone needs to fall on the sword tho. Losing to HBU is unacceptable. My guess is the OC is toast. His play calling wouldn't make it in 22-5A. Run, run, and pass on 3rd and long is easily defended if you know it's coming. From what I've heard by the second half the HBU defense had figured out the offensive signals and verbage and it never changed. Easy to defend a play if you know it's coming. Krautz looks to be the real deal and Morse looked impressive in the little bit of playing time he was in. Hopefully the coaches keep morale up. The defense is much improved from last year.

Every Team has injuries and are young at times, but lots of those teams still win. If Lamar and the fan base is fine with loosing records year after year, then I'm fine with it also. Make excuses for every loss, be proud of beating Sam Houston, Playing close to McNeese, Those are games you should win, aren't you in the same conference and on the same level field. Why bring back football if the product is way bellow average. The same thing applies to the basketball program. It just seems that the AD and president are just fine with loosing athletic programs in almost every single sport. The true fans should speak up and demand better.

42 minutes ago, 78Stang said:

Another loss Thursday night to another team that the Cards should beat.. I thing ole' Woody needs another contract extension.

Their line play on both sides of the ball was worse than just bad. Center had 5 or 6 horrible 2 inch high rifle shot snaps past the QBs in shotgun formation. The D-line looks like they've packed it in. I feel sorry for the seniors that are still giving good effort. The young kids look like they're gonna be salty the next 4 years.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, spoonbill said:

Poor effort again in the trenches. Ugly. Either they get some juco kids on the line next year or it'll be a repeat of this season or worse.

FYI- It was been repeat after repeat, year after year with this coach and AD. Every sport is a total train wreck and the fans just sit back and say nothing. Try to name a Lamar sport with a winning record.

14 minutes ago, 78Stang said:

FYI- It was been repeat after repeat, year after year with this coach and AD. Every sport is a total train wreck and the fans just sit back and say nothing. Try to name a Lamar sport with a winning record.

Baseball has been over .500 for 3 of the last 4 years.

You named One. And FYI that program has been winning for ages but now they can barely compete. What has happened to the athletic programs and why? I am sure lots of it has to do with Title 9 and money spent on women's sports like softball and soccer that few people care about. Give me a break, the money makers are men's sports. Win at football, basketball and baseball then the money is there for the other sports. But none of it will happen if the AD will not hire coaches who know how to win.

Wow on 12news they actually asked Woody if his job was in danger. It was funny to hear him. He acted like the question was a total shock and had never even thought of it before. But at Lamar I guess you get a lifetime contract regardless if you ever win a game or have a winning season. 

On 11/15/2016 at 8:12 PM, 78Stang said:

You named One. And FYI that program has been winning for ages but now they can barely compete. What has happened to the athletic programs and why? I am sure lots of it has to do with Title 9 and money spent on women's sports like softball and soccer that few people care about. Give me a break, the money makers are men's sports. Win at football, basketball and baseball then the money is there for the other sports. But none of it will happen if the AD will not hire coaches who know how to win.

I mean, that is what you asked.

"Try to name a Lamar sport with a winning record."

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

I think there will be pressure for Woodard to release the OC after the year is done. Now with that being said, I don't think Ray would fire him so it might cost em both their jobs. 

Just my opinion and nothing I've heard

The OC was the O-line coach at one point wasn't he? Demotion back?

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:39 AM, Gabe said:

I think there will be pressure for Woodard to release the OC after the year is done. Now with that being said, I don't think Ray would fire him so it might cost em both their jobs. 

Just my opinion and nothing I've heard

Yeppers. Good luck to all of the coaches and I hope they all land on their feet.

If Lamar wants to be successful they need to fire the AD, he is nothing but a bean counter. I was not happy with

Woodard but when you have the injuries at the end I can see giving 1 more year.  Plus typical Golden Triangle we all

want a winner and if we have a rough season it is fire the coach. The fans have to stick with team through it all.   

Does this mean the rumors of Matt Burnett and Larry Neumann becoming Head Football coach at Lamar are about to start happening? What about hometown boy Kevin Barbay at the university of Florida being brought back home to bring Lamar back to the promise land. He was the WR coach when our receivers were top in Southland. only time will tell. Woodard knew his time was up but I hate to see him go after all the injuries this season. O-LINE has to get better. I liked what I saw in the mid-county boys and king in back field just no holes to run into. Also Lamar needs a coach and team to feel the stands at home games. Unfortunately I saw PNG faithful fill the stadium but Lamar didn't this year. Lamar students and alumni we are better than that. I am very intrigued on by this search. 

Thanks to coach for starting football back up from scratch. IMHO Jason has done a decent job as the AD. There's not an AD out there that hits a homerun every time. His recent hires look pretty good to me. I don't think we're gonna pry Urban Meyer or Tom Herman away to come to Beaumont. Kudos to Woodard for keeping it classy to the end. Good luck in your future endeavors.