Impressive (and surprising) WO-S stat

WOS99

1 hour ago, bigdog said:

Another fun fact, (I know some WO-S fans probably know this)  but the first WO-S coach was Steve McCarty and he had a pretty good record with the new team that was formed.  Which leads me to the question, why did he leave in '80 ?  I know it worked out fine since Hooks was hired.

YEAR                  W-L-T       PTS-OPP        COACH

1977                     5-4-0         157-109         Steve McCarty
1978                     7-3-0         162-  93         Steve McCarty
1979         C          8-2-1         237-126         Steve McCarty
1980                     9-1-0         222-108         Steve McCarty

Coach McCarty (an SFA University alum) left WO-S to take the coaching position at Nacgodoches High.  After Nacogdoches, he went to SFA where served first as associate athletic director and then Athletic Director for the University until very recently.  I think he currently lives in Alto and, yes, he still does keep up with the Mustangs.

3 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Coach McCarty (an SFA University alum) left WO-S to take the coaching position at Nacgodoches High.  After Nacogdoches, he went to SFA where served first as associate athletic director and then Athletic Director for the University until very recently.  I think he currently lives in Alto and, yes, he still does keep up with the Mustangs.

Good deal.  Thanks for the information.

11 hours ago, MMstangfan said:

My brother graduated in 1977, as a West Orange Chief, his class was the last . So the 1st Mustang class would have been 1978.

My brother in law was the first graduating class at WOS which was 78. Am I correct MMstangfan? You have an inside scoop. Ask your wife. Lol

5 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Also worth noting is that Dan Hooks and Cornel Thompson were assistant coaches on the Steve McCarty staff. That's a LOT of football coaching consistency. It's a rare feat even in high school coaching these days.  

On 10/24/2016 at 10:59 PM, Lion70 said:

I do post for my entertainment 

I did my homework, didn't notice if anyone else posted this yet or not. 

Last season, WOS finished 15-1 winning the 4A-2 State Championship. In 16 games they played 14 teams which made the Playoffs in their respective classifications. They played 2 5A, 3 4A-1 and 1 3A-2 teams going 5-1 against those teams. Their opponents combined records was 120-81, and they outscored their opponents 699-140.

This season WOS has played 1 5A, 4 4A-1 and 1 TCAL teams. They have outscored opponents 429-23, giving up a safety on a penalty in the end zone, 21 points to Kennedale while shutting out their other 6 opponents. 

Call it as you may, but regardless of classification or "competition" I think most will take those stats and two state appearances with one title over the previous two seasons.

Coach T was head baseball coach and was linebacker/ defensive end coach at Stark. Bearden was the Jv football and Assistant baseball coach. JB's wife was the drill team director. The first graduating class of WOS was 1978. WOS Assistant coaches were names like Dan Hooks, Cornel Thompson. Robert Tywater, Wilbert Florence, Glen Hill and Ronnie Anderson.

McCarty was brought to WOS from Lamar with Hooks to help the transition of merging Stark and West Orange. He did a fantastic job making a smooth transition for both schools. Remember they were hated rivals. In my opinion McCarty was more of a Public Relations expert than a coach but that was the most important job at the time. Without McCarty who knows what WOS might have become.

11 minutes ago, 78Stang said:

Coach T was head baseball coach and was linebacker/ defensive end coach at Stark. Bearden was the Jv football and Assistant baseball coach. JB's wife was the drill team director. The first graduating class of WOS was 1978. WOS Assistant coaches were names like Dan Hooks, Cornel Thompson. Robert Tywater, Wilbert Florence, Glen Hill and Ronnie Anderson.

I remember those days. I was a "senior" at Oates Elementary down the street. My sister was head cheerleader class of '79 and I always got out of school before her and would walk down to the high school to wait for my ride home. Don't think they'd allow that in the elementary schools these days lol.

24 minutes ago, 78Stang said:

Glen Hill was a 1968 Vidor High graduate and quarterback. He and my father were very close. Haven't heard his name in some time. Good stuff.