Celina Qb Pingleton should be Suspended!

ThunderCat

8 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

I am glad to see so many perfect people on this site casting the first stone. I sure you all would enjoy someone putting you on an internet site and everyone jabbing knives in you. He is just a kid, let the locals handle it.

I'm not perfect, don't claim to be, but not once in playing sports for 30 years have I intentionally tried to hurt someone.  I've been involved in plays where someone fouled me and I fouled them back without thinking, but nothing like intentionally burying a clear in their ankle.  The fact that he wasn't even in the play and had to walk several yards to do it, did it once, didn't get a reaction, so did it again even harder just makes it even worse.  

He was not suspended. He played last night just didn't play entire game. Watching hudl scout reports looks like he played very little. Sad he was allowed to suit up. But when you have a community that's all about winning games and not setting an example that happens. What a disgrace, shows the players they can deliberately hurt someone and have minimum punishments. Just like the player who targeted the ref he was charged with assault the same as this kid should be charged. Coach Elliot you're a disgrace 

If this is true than for sure any suspension from football was not part of the punishment.

42 minutes ago, TXLonghorns said:

He was not suspended. He played last night just didn't play entire game. Watching hudl scout reports looks like he played very little. Sad he was allowed to suit up. But when you have a community that's all about winning games and not setting an example that happens. What a disgrace, shows the players they can deliberately hurt someone and have minimum punishments. Just like the player who targeted the ref he was charged with assault the same as this kid should be charged. Coach Elliot you're a disgrace 

Celina defeats Melissa

CELINA--Ismael Ortiz rushed for 183 yards and a touchdown and John Franklin rushed for 164 and two scores as Celina (6-2, 3-0) handily defeated Melissa (6-2, 2-1), despite choosing to not play its usual starting quarterback in District 5-4A (II) play. 

Usual starter Conner Pingleton was in uniform and took part in pregame warmups, but took no snaps. 

Celina, which outgained Melissa 483 yards to 92, scored 33 unanswered points, starting with Eduardo Paulino's 49-yard field goal as time expired in the first half that broke the only tie.  

Melissa had tied the game, 7-7, after Tyriek Wallace returned an interception 89 yards for a touchdown.

from the Dallas Morning News 

7 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Celina defeats Melissa

CELINA--Ismael Ortiz rushed for 183 yards and a touchdown and John Franklin rushed for 164 and two scores as Celina (6-2, 3-0) handily defeated Melissa (6-2, 2-1), despite choosing to not play its usual starting quarterback in District 5-4A (II) play. 

Usual starter Conner Pingleton was in uniform and took part in pregame warmups, but took no snaps. 

Celina, which outgained Melissa 483 yards to 92, scored 33 unanswered points, starting with Eduardo Paulino's 49-yard field goal as time expired in the first half that broke the only tie.  

Melissa had tied the game, 7-7, after Tyriek Wallace returned an interception 89 yards for a touchdown.

from the Dallas Morning News 

I'm surprised he let him suit up.  And since Melissa had a pretty good record, it makes me wonder, if the game had been tight if he might have put him in.  Maybe he had no intention of playing him, but the fact that he was in uniform opens up this already controversial incident to more conjecture.

It's called consequences people.

You know how young baseball players learn to get out of the way of a fastball?

Two Ways

1) You get hit by one.

2) You see someone get hit by one.

Over the top only has to happen once in a persons life if it's done right.

It has to be painful but recoverable.

But by all means adults...  keep making excuses for malevolent actions done by young "Adults".

It seems to me that a teachable moment has only come out due to the video. Any serious time no playing will be a short, lets face it he WILL not be suspended his senior season of football, period. That would have happened by now. Notice the choice of words. teachable moment for the team.

Like most here, I'm of the opinion that the Celina Coach has failed in his "teachable moment".  But I would be curious to know what type of pressure was put on him, and from whom.  Doubt Coach Elliott came up with this meager punishment on his own.  Understand, I'm not defending the Coach, just acknowledging the possibility that his decision may have been influenced.  As an example, I've read that a Coach stated no one on his team would kneel during the National Anthem, but he was overruled (by the Supt I believe).  I've never been a Coach, but I'll bet that in a lot of cases, they're not the all powerful decision makers we think they are.

• 3 months later...
On 10/20/2016 at 11:28 AM, WOS99 said:

I found two details shocking. First, this wasn't like Suh stepping over the O-lineman and "accidentally" stepping on him. This kid was several feet (if not yards) away from the scene of the crime and had to walk over with the sole purpose of hurting his opponent, who was defenseless. Second, his attack did not seem like a choice made hastily in the heat of battle. It was so calculatedly quiet and subtle that the refs just feet away didn'teven notice.

I am all for giving the kid options. A harsher punishment - an extended suspension or even removal from the team - or a less severe (but still tough) penalty in exchange for a public show of contrition - maybe an open letter or statement of apology and some form of community service. A show of humility. Let him choose.

I supported this idea then and still do now.  Either choice is not easy!