2016-17 TABC State Rankings, updated Feb. 20 (FINAL)

Here are the rankings for each classification: (locals listed under each link)

6A

This is the hidden content, please

5A

#15 Port Arthur Memorial, #22 Humble

4A

#1 Silsbee, #25 Huffman-Hargrave

3A

#9 Hempstead, #12 Buna, #17 Kountze

2A

#7 Tenaha, #18 Grapeland, #20 Shelbyville, #22 Evadale, #23 Chireno

1A

#2 Leggett, #25 Wells

Private- Large

6A #4 Tomball Concordia, #9 Houston St. Pius X

Private- Small:

3A #3 Bryan Brazos, #8 Beaumont Legacy

2A #6 Baytown Christian

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I am told they are the real deal and why I thought SAISD messed up putting those two teams playing each other in 1st round.

I have to believe your assessment on the reason why makes the most sense.  Either that or complete incompetence.  No reason to make that a first round matchup in a tournament that has THIRTY-TWO teams.  Hope Silsbee shocks the heck out of them...would be hilarious to see one of their big boys start out in the consolation bracket. 

11 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I have to believe your assessment on the reason why makes the most sense.  Either that or complete incompetence.  No reason to make that a first round matchup in a tournament that has THIRTY-TWO teams.  Hope Silsbee shocks the heck out of them...would be hilarious to see one of their big boys start out in the consolation bracket. 

Silsbee beat some large school by double digits in that tournament last year, in the first game.  Some of the large schools did the same to the Tigers, afterwards, same tournament.  My theory is that first Silsbee victory didn't go un noticed.  All those schools know & play one another all the time.  Silsbee is still an outsider, to a certain extent an interloper.   That's why they are paired with SA Wagner in the first game.

An unrelated update on the new HISD Delmar Stadium field house. They are putting in the glass windows to the building. They are also starting to smooth out the parking lot. I was talking to some construction workers at lunch the other day.  They say the bleachers are already in place. They are working overtime, on Saturdays and even Sundays.  The deadline for completion they told me is Oct 31st.  We all had a laugh at that.  I don't see it happening until November or maybe December.  There may be some playoff games in that gym in 2017.   Once finished it should be one  of the better field houses/gyms in the region for high school basketball.  I work a few blocks from there, which is why it is of interest to me.

15 hours ago, Kountzer said:

An unrelated update on the new HISD Delmar Stadium field house. They are putting in the glass windows to the building. They are also starting to smooth out the parking lot. I was talking to some construction workers at lunch the other day.  They say the bleachers are already in place. They are working overtime, on Saturdays and even Sundays.  The deadline for completion they told me is Oct 31st.  We all had a laugh at that.  I don't see it happening until November or maybe December.  There may be some playoff games in that gym in 2017.   Once finished it should be one  of the better field houses/gyms in the region for high school basketball.  I work a few blocks from there, which is why it is of interest to me.

I remember a high school playoff game between Bay City and Livingston played at the Delmar Fieldhouse in the mid 80's.  Some may remember Bay City's star player, LaBradford Smith, who went on to Louisville and was drafted by the Nets, I think.  I will always say if there had been a 3 point line that year, Livingston would have blown them out of the gym.  The 3 pointer was brought in the next year.

2 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

I remember a high school playoff game between Bay City and Livingston played at the Delmar Fieldhouse in the mid 80's.  Some may remember Bay City's star player, LaBradford Smith, who went on to Louisville and was drafted by the Nets, I think.  I will always say if there had been a 3 point line that year, Livingston would have blown them out of the gym.  The 3 pointer was brought in the next year.

Remember Smith well.  I thought he was the best HS player I had seen at the time. 

I was in the military and never saw Smith.  I heard about him though.  He got a lot of national attention in high school.  I did see him at Louisville.

Lots of great games were played at the old Delmar field house.  Pa Lincoln played some important playoffs there.   The HISD tournament used to be held there every year.  I remember seeing some kid named Field Williams out of BT Washington play.  Then newer, better gyms were built.  The emphasis shifted to the suburbs.  Delmar got too old and got left out.  Maybe all that will change somewhat.

Yes there is no possible way Ozen should be ranked that high because well they are gonna be average at best this year. I Hear they are picked 4th in district PA Memorial,Central,Nederland,Ozen. They played decent in the preseason but not enough to warrant a ranking that high. 

3 hours ago, 409ANALYST said:

In my opinion...Ozen is ranked too high!  Some people have them ranked 3rd in their District!  I heard they did well in the offseason, but I think their ranking is too high!

I agree ,maybe they are going by past success, but new year with new starters, I don't see it but time will tell.

On 10/20/2016 at 9:19 PM, TxHoops said:

Remember Smith well.  I thought he was the best HS player I had seen at the time. 

Saw LaBradford Smith at the state tournament in Austin when he was a sophomore.  I think his Bay City team was playing LaMesa.  Anyway, LaBradford had 29 points and I'm pretty sure he shot 100% (12/12 from the floor, 5/5 at the line).  A LaMesa kid set up too low to try to take a charge, and Smith jumped over him and dunked on him.  He put on a show, and I couldn't believe he was just a sophomore.  

Pretty sure it was the same year that Houston Madison blew out Conroe in the 5A state championship game to finish a perfect 40-0.  Madison had 8 guys off that team that played some sort of college ball, and 5 of them went D-1 (Baylor, UH, Texas Tech, Texas Southern & Central Florida).  

Great talent on display that year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...