Pitching Limitations for HS

bambam33

• 2 weeks later...

During the season it is supposed to be sent in to the DEC by each coach/home coach.  Then in the playoffs its supposed to be posted on Max Preps.  Nothing was really thought through before this was voted on.  I think that's why it was voted on to pass, but could be with modifications.  I think the biggest issue is going to be finding a volunteer to sit there for 5 hours (both JV game and varsity game) to count pitches.

1 hour ago, bulldog16 said:

During the season it is supposed to be sent in to the DEC by each coach/home coach.  Then in the playoffs its supposed to be posted on Max Preps.  Nothing was really thought through before this was voted on.  I think that's why it was voted on to pass, but could be with modifications.  I think the biggest issue is going to be finding a volunteer to sit there for 5 hours (both JV game and varsity game) to count pitches.

that sounds like this will end well.

21 hours ago, Chester86 said:

Question:

The pitch count numbers from game to game are kept where?  Besides the playoffs, is this really going to be kept up with and looked at from game to game?

Sounds like an accountability nightmare, and something to drive coaches to drink. Oh, and I can see plenty of room to fudge if a school so decided, and even more room for error.  You'll have to have a CPA to keep up, especially in tournaments.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:08 PM, longball24 said:

The whole thing needs to be tweaked. The only restrictions should be on breaking balls most are not taught how to properly throw a curve or slider, this is where the arm problems start. Should be unlimited on fast balls and change ups and 45 breaking balls a week. Kids will last longer. imo

Uh! Not real sure where your research has come from.

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2016 at 3:08 PM, longball24 said:

The whole thing needs to be tweaked. The only restrictions should be on breaking balls most are not taught how to properly throw a curve or slider, this is where the arm problems start. Should be unlimited on fast balls and change ups and 45 breaking balls a week. Kids will last longer. imo

Could be the most uneducated post I've ever seen.  Ignorance of medical evidence is one reason why these rules will now be enforced. Read up on Dr James Andrews and his research over the last few decades. 

3 hours ago, longball24 said:

Experience goes a long ways. These above post do show some people are educated beyond their intelligence. How many kids have you helped to the level above LL. I will bet you were a LL star that threw 100 curveballs a game. Breaking balls get you Tommy john. velocity gets you a scholarship.

Please tell me you are pulling my leg.  You can't be serious.  Have you even heard of the world-renown Dr that I mentioned?  The best athletes in the world trust him with their bodies and their careers.  Surely, you don't think that you know more than Dr. Andrews and 1000s of other Drs and researchers? Next you are going to tell me that smoking does not contribute to lung cancer.  Come on man! 

No I do not pretend to know more than the doctor. I have been privelaged to meet many great pitching coaches and trainers one Mr Brent Strom actually taught my son how to properly throw a curve ball in which he says is what ruins highschool pitchers. Check out Nolan Ryan's thoughts on pitch counts. The great Jim Gillian also discouraged kids from throwing curve balls before they start shaving. You have to keep in mind Dr Andrews is the best in his field doing surgery and writing books.

2 hours ago, longball24 said:

No I do not pretend to know more than the doctor. I have been privelaged to meet many great pitching coaches and trainers one Mr Brent Strom actually taught my son how to properly throw a curve ball in which he says is what ruins highschool pitchers. Check out Nolan Ryan's thoughts on pitch counts. The great Jim Gillian also discouraged kids from throwing curve balls before they start shaving. You have to keep in mind Dr Andrews is the best in his field doing surgery and writing books.

At one time, some experts thought the curveball was the main reason for arm and shoulder injuries.  We also believed at one time that the Earth was flat and that the Sun rotated around us.  If you care about children's health, do yourself a favor and read Andrew's book, Any Given Monday.  Or I can hit the highlights of the last 30-40 years of studies.  Pitch counts are a good start but plenty of athletes can handle greater number of pitches than others.  I don't get freaked out when I see a mature 17-18 year old throw 150 pitches as long as his mechanics are great and he takes care of his arm the 4-5 days following.  I also would like to see that high of pitches be the exception and not the norm.  The 2 things that get most pitchers into elbow and shoulder problems are 1) Not enough rest in between outings based on how much they threw and 2) Not taking a break from throwing for 3-4 months each year to let the body heal.  

Pitch counts aren't always what they're cracked up to be. Say a kid has thrown 100 pitches through 8 innings and is on cruise control with no high stress innings and he's still repeating his mechanics. Would you take him out versus a kid who has thrown 65 pitches though 5 and has had several high stress innings full of pressure pitches? I am all for not overtaxing young arms, but the pitch counts their arm can tolerate vary with each kid. I saw a kid from Sabine Pass (I think) a couple years ago throw easily 140-50 pitches in a game vs. West Sabine and he seemed fine afterwards.  

I am a believer in teaching kids change ups rather than curveballs in Little League. It is a better pitch in my opinion that can be thrown from the same arm slot as the fastball and it puts less stress on developing arms than a curve and/or slider would. I agree with Jim Gilligan on this. That man has forgotten more about baseball than any of us on here will ever likely know.

I'm no expert. Pitched maybe twice in High School, never played at a higher level so take the following for what it's worth.

"In one particular 8-year stretch".    ...  

"-from 1991-98 – the Braves split 6 Cy Young Awards, between Maddux (3), Glavine (2), and Smoltz (1).

The Braves also won 7 National League East titles, and advanced to 7 National League Championship Series and 4 World Series, winning one, in that same stretch."

I left out a sentence in between the quotes above. It is the common denominator between those three Hall of Fame pitchers.  

I will agree rest is needed, after the season, for 3-4 months. Not in season or leading up as well.

Someone once said this...

"I have talent. I can't explain it. You either have it, or you don't."

I believe that to be the ultimate reason. Everyone else is just trying to keep up.

Jmo

Pitch counts don't really solve the problem in High school.  Especially when the coach puts him at short stop after one of you pitch count guru's say the kid is at their pitch limit.  That's when you hurt the arm. Kids can throw 90-150 easy, then rest is needed, not pitching in 3 days and or playing a position.  Its kind of a complicated management and every kid is different. Pitch count can be for dads to read about and make an excuse or complain about the coach over using. The Coach needs to do what is right and should know how to handle a kid.  High school coaches have to look at what they select coaches do also when they are pitching the heck out of a kid to get their Select TEAM a name. It might help 20 percent of the kids and make awareness for coaches not to abuse kids so I will support it and abide by it.