Five Surprising (Good) Teams This Year

robanadana

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

Nope, better look again.  You said Vidor is 41-39 to week 6.  But regardless, just the fact that Vidor is leading Dist, going into week 7, albeit a half game over PAM & PNG, is still virtually unheard of.  We're seeing history AAW.  Sit back and enjoy it with us. :) 

only because Vidor hasn't had a bye week yet. otherwise, PAM,PNG, and Vidor is tied for first place.

good thread, but i would base this on what teams have done over the past 2-3 years. if you wasn't relevant last year or year before and this year you are winning, you should be on the list!  (PAM doesn't make this list in this case. this is basically the same team from last year. that should give you some indication of the teams we played. also new coaches did help too this year)

5 minutes ago, eagleswoodville#1 said:

Woodville went 7-3 last year lol not sure how this season is a huge surprise. The surprise is that they beat Kirbyville as bad as they did. They also have a runningback who is easily a top-5 back in SETX. 

Historically y'all haven't been a great team. I was just trying to give props to some teams who never get any on the board. It just didn't turn out the way I meant it. There will always be those who dirty up the swimming pool.

5 hours ago, REBgp said:

Gotta say it AAW, you're fudging on the 41-39 for Vidor, including this season.  This season is the reason Vidor should be on the list.  They are 36-39 without the 5 wins this year.  And even as much Vidor football as I've watched/kept up with, for them to be leading District going into week7, you're talking ancient history.  Not sure if the 78 team did.  Only one I know for sure is the 64 team.

1978 Team won district and lost to Aldine in bi-district. Not fudging, I went from 2009 until today with my stuff off of lonestarfootball.

3 minutes ago, robanadana said:

Historically y'all haven't been a great team. I was just trying to give props to some teams who never get any on the board. It just didn't turn out the way I meant it. There will always be those who dirty up the swimming pool.

I'm not upset about it lol I was just saying. You're right, historically we have stayed around mediocre, with a few good teams in between. 

54 minutes ago, robanadana said:

Think you dirtied it up yourself with the bogus facts. ;)

1 hour ago, eagleswoodville#1 said:

Woodville went 7-3 last year lol not sure how this season is a huge surprise. The surprise is that they beat Kirbyville as bad as they did. They also have a runningback who is easily a top-5 back in SETX. 

Cmon now, top 5 in all of SETX? meaning 1A-6A? out of every single team in this area you can't name 5 backs better than him?

5 hours ago, eagleswoodville#1 said:

Come on name those 7 wins .They were not against a winning Team . Preseason was joke ! 

5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Think you dirtied it up yourself with the bogus facts. ;)

Nope, I did the math on my football team to date. I was at nearly every dang game..

2009 = 7 - 4 Bi-district loss to Dayton

2010 = 2 - 8

2011 = 10 - 3 Regional Semi loss to Angleton

2012 = 9 - 2 Bi-district loss to Humble Summer Creek

2013 = 4 - 6

2014 = 3 - 7

2015 = 3 - 7

2016 = 5 - 1 so far (playoff withstanding one more victory)

Total = 43 - 38 since 2009. You want the scores? Yeah, I put 46 but everyone has a typo (except for you, I'm sure). Check the math and let's wager?

BTW, is this the same as the bogus facts on ranking Vidor over Barbers Hill? I was the first to rank Barbers Hill. I can copy and paste if needed.

21 minutes ago, Woodville89 said:

Come on name those 7 wins .They were not against a winning Team . Preseason was joke ! 

I can agree with you. They weren't the most quality wins, obviously, but they gave that young team a taste of winning, which contributed to their success this year. We can't discount wins and hard work just because they weren't over the greatest competition. They still made the playoffs, which has nothing to do with the preseason schedule.

11 hours ago, robanadana said:

Nope, I did the math on my football team to date. I was at nearly every dang game..

2009 = 7 - 4 Bi-district loss to Dayton

2010 = 2 - 8

2011 = 10 - 3 Regional Semi loss to Angleton

2012 = 9 - 2 Bi-district loss to Humble Summer Creek

2013 = 4 - 6

2014 = 3 - 7

2015 = 3 - 7

2016 = 5 - 1 so far (playoff withstanding one more victory)

Total = 43 - 38 since 2009. You want the scores? Yeah, I put 46 but everyone has a typo (except for you, I'm sure). Check the math and let's wager?

BTW, is this the same as the bogus facts on ranking Vidor over Barbers Hill? I was the first to rank Barbers Hill. I can copy and paste if needed.

Vidor was 2-8 in 2014 which would make them 37-38 coming into this season. Add the 5-1 and they are currently 42-39.

Look here:

This is the hidden content, please

This is our history forum where our member Goblin has compiled all our teams seasons.

2 hours ago, WOS36 said:

Vidor, splendors, Woodville, Porter shouldn't be added to the list of the surprising that's good this year Vidor Pirates always a power house every year with their running backs as we for splendora team  to as well porters defense

Im not sure what this even says.  Is this one sentence?  

14 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Vidor was 2-8 in 2014 which would make them 37-38 coming into this season. Add the 5-1 and they are currently 42-39.

Look here:

This is the hidden content, please

This is our history forum where our member Goblin has compiled all our teams seasons.

Wrong. Vidor was 3 - 7 in 2014. Vidor 1 - Pensacola Escambia 0 (official forfeit for playing illegal players, wow, haven't we heard a lot about that today).

Vidor 27 - Baytown Lee 14

Vidor 49 - GCM 48 

= 3 - 7

43 - 38 OFFICIALLY! Wish you would have taken that wager.

On 10/3/2016 at 6:39 PM, WOSgrad said:

A few thoughts on the teams that you mentioned:

1.    Liberty - I guess whether they are a surprise depends primarily on where you are from.  I am like you, that the degree of improvement this season has been surprising as the past few years had brought nothing that Chad Taylor, who was hailed as the messiah in Liberty, had promised.  But I know that you and I had heard from folks like liltex that said the improvement was coming and we would see it as early as this year.  However, I would caution the Panther faithful to thinking that the path to a Week 10 showdown with WO-S is a clear one as just the week before they face someone that I would add to this list of surprisingly good teams and that would be Hardin-Jefferson.  Yes, they made great strides when Coach DuBois was there, but before then they wore the moniker, somewhat begrudgingly, of a basketball school.  And then last year in Coach Sloan's first year, they had a defense that was decimated by graduation and an offense that had trouble finding it's identity.  Things seemed to have been figured out by the Hawks which is gonna make that October 21 game an interesting one to watch.

2.    Splendora - The surprise to me with their success so far is not only that they were rising one classification, but that they had no success over the past 10 years.  The 3-0 start including the win over Dayton, but district losses in the last couple of weeks leaves me not as bullish on Splendora as I once was. And with the next 3 games being against Barbers Hill, Porter and Crosby, I fear that we might see that the Wildcats, as the late Dennis Green once put it, were who we thought they were.

3.    Porter - nothing to add there, other than they have some tough games coming up as well.  What Porter has done compared with what Kingwood Park has not shows that we may need to start mentioning Jim Holley as one of the area's better coaches.

4.    Evadale - not surprising, Torres at QB is the real deal, so is Williams.  The Rebels have had a line of good teams, it is just that the UIL alignments have recently been pretty unkind to them and place them behind teams like Tenaha and the like which has kept them out of the DC picture.

5.    Woodville - Again, not really that big of a surprise.  That Lockhart kid is something special. Did I think they would do what they did to Kirbyville? No, but they are a quality team who I thought would be safely in contention for the playoffs.

Teams that I would add to the list:

1.  Humble Summer Creek (4-0) I know it will please very few as we fear the Bulldog faithful with return to their arrogant selves, but the Bulldogs finally seem to be finding their footing in 6A where the success they found in 5A has eluded them.

2.  Hardin-Jefferson for the reasons stated above

3.  Sabine Pass - Yes, their wins have not been over especially accomplished teams, but then again, these were teams that usually counted the Sharks as a W on their schedule.  I think what has helped is that they had a bunch of experience that was returning and Coach Thibodeaux has been able to get the parts working this year.

Please Lord...not "The greatest show on turf" guys again.  They will be picked off earlyin the playoffs by the 6a powerhouses.

2 minutes ago, Curelover32 said:

Please Lord...not "The greatest show on turf" guys again.  They will be picked off earlyin the playoffs by the 6a powerhouses.

Well, I don't know that any on either rob's list or mine have a deep run in the playoffs in them.  But at this point, the playoff chances for most if not all of them are better than even.

On 10/5/2016 at 9:12 PM, eagleswoodville#1 said:

I can agree with you. They weren't the most quality wins, obviously, but they gave that young team a taste of winning, which contributed to their success this year. We can't discount wins and hard work just because they weren't over the greatest competition. They still made the playoffs, which has nothing to do with the preseason schedule.

'Making the playoffs' is such a watered down accomplishment in today's high school football with 4 teams going... some of which are in 5 team districts. In 2011, we went to the playoffs with a 2-8 record. Lol.. What a joke. I wish we'd go back to 2 teams going and cut out this "everybody gets a ribbon" crap. I'm gonna be honest and say though that this yr, IMO, there could only be one team from each district make it and from ours it would still be Woodville. Yall are awesome this yr. And in a district with us and Coldspring, going as the district champ is no small thing. Yall very much deserve it. 

12 hours ago, WildcatBacker said:

'Making the playoffs' is such a watered down accomplishment in today's high school football with 4 teams going... some of which are in 5 team districts. In 2011, we went to the playoffs with a 2-8 record. Lol.. What a joke. I wish we'd go back to 2 teams going and cut out this "everybody gets a ribbon" crap. I'm gonna be honest and say though that this yr, IMO, there could only be one team from each district make it and from ours it would still be Woodville. Yall are awesome this yr. And in a district with us and Coldspring, going as the district champ is no small thing. Yall very much deserve it. 

in 2011 , 4 teams did not go to the playoffs. 

Having covered the Rebels for the past ten years I can say that they have indeed been a playoff team  for all 10 of those years. In 2007 they started their playoff run and in 2009 they went 10 and 0 in the regular season and they were regional semi finalists in 2010. They lost to that years state champion, Falls City at Kyle Field. They have won several district championships and they have an impressive record under Mark Williams.