Does your school's band play at the right time?

TexasPanther2012

Liberty has had 2 very close games this year, one against Coldspring at home and one in Shepherd ... Against Coldspring they were driving down the field towards our band and our crowd was going crazy chanting DEFENSE DEFENSE along with the cheerleaders but the band wasn't playing at all. IDK what they were doing. Same against Shepherd we had a good away crowd stomping and yelling after we fumbled and shepherd was driving, then the band started playing when we got the ball back and were trying to go score. Seems like there should be some kind of coordination prior to the game with the team and the band, where someone in the band is responsible for making sure they are playing when they should be, and quiet when they should be. I know the last the thing on the coaches mind is probably the band.. but I see the players looking into the stands telling us to get up of our butts and cheer when the game is close... so you know the players care about the crowd so i think the band should be getting turnt up when the players turn around telling us to stand up they should know to get loud as well. Like i said its probably a stupid post from a coaching perspective but as a fan i'd like to give our team every advantage possible and the crowd is definitely a factor in sports.

That's been a sore subject in BC this fall....

For years the band stayed down on the track and played and danced all through the third quarter. Last year everybody agreed that they could keep performing on the track (right behind the bench) during the 3rd quarter, as long as they shut it down while we were on offense.  

Apparently the band never appointed a lookout, because the crowd was yelling at the band to shut up in HF for playing while the offense was working during our first game this year.  After that the Nerd Herd got banished back into the stands where they belong.  It seems like they've almost stopped playing other than the fight song since then.  

Well, I have to admit that this post will probably irritate some band parents as liltex, robanadana and ECBucFan will attest, I am not a real big band booster.  But even I admit that they are part of the experience of Football Friday Nights.  The problem is that most bands feel like they are the experience.  That is that they feel (and if you hook theband directors to a polygraph you will see that they truly, honestly do feel) that the thousands of people who come out and pay the ticket price are there to see the band, and nothing but the band.

Hence, you have the disconnect that many here have discussed.

That's  all  MHS band does  is  play! Our first game this season  I pretended to be a band  parent  (actually have a daughter in the band ) don't  judge me  i got in the  game  FREE!  Anyway  i did my band parent  duties  (handed out  water  after  half)  I  was actually enjoying the game  and  sitting with the band  till the  assistant Director  told the  band to "PAY ATTENTION  YOUR NOT  HERE TO WATCH FOOTBALL!"    After i heard that  i quit!  Those band  people  taking themselves  way to serious. Lol!

2 hours ago, TexasPanther2012 said:

I've never seen yalls band I know Ozen's is outstanding , like a college band lol so if yalls is anything like theirs i bet it's fun to watch , i can actually stay in the stands and watch the halftime show at ozen games 

Same style as Ozen.  These 2 bands will pull out all the stops this Friday night as they battle it out at halftime.  

Our band director is pretty in tune with whats going on in the game and when they should be playing and not be playing.  Except when we play PN-G, we try to continously play and drown at Cherokee...:)

PN-G's band times things well, even if the selections are dated with dust. Cherokee does what is intended so that is cool. Growing up and in my mind still, Lincoln had the best and most entertaining band but those are distant, great memories.   Being in New Orleans, I have the opportunity to see some of the greatest high-school bands in the country. Lots of choices, but St. Aug is my favorite. In fact, they just won a competition in Houston last year. Many of the Setx schools were there.

2 hours ago, Lightning/Eagle said:

First game this year against Livingston the referee stopped the game and had our band quit playing they had had a delay of game and complained.

Yeah, they penalize the team. The band is not supposed to play while the other team had the ball and is at the line of scrimmage. I haven't seen it around here, but I've seen it around Austin and in the valley. I think they usually warm them, then next time is 5yrd delay of game penalty and if it happened again is unsportsmanlike conduct 15yrds.

5 hours ago, TexasPanther2012 said:

I've never seen yalls band I know Ozen's is outstanding , like a college band lol so if yalls is anything like theirs i bet it's fun to watch , i can actually stay in the stands and watch the halftime show at ozen games 

Ozen is trash lol...PAM and central is the better of three with PAM being the best of then all.

2 hours ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

PN-G's band times things well, even if the selections are dated with dust. Cherokee does what is intended so that is cool. Growing up and in my mind still, Lincoln had the best and most entertaining band but those are distant, great memories.   Being in New Orleans, I have the opportunity to see some of the greatest high-school bands in the country. Lots of choices, but St. Aug is my favorite. In fact, they just won a competition in Houston last year. Many of the Setx schools were there.

Wait till u hear memorial....the soul of Lincoln with black and red.

6 hours ago, TexasPanther2012 said:

Liberty has had 2 very close games this year, one against Coldspring at home and one in Shepherd ... Against Coldspring they were driving down the field towards our band and our crowd was going crazy chanting DEFENSE DEFENSE along with the cheerleaders but the band wasn't playing at all. IDK what they were doing. Same against Shepherd we had a good away crowd stomping and yelling after we fumbled and shepherd was driving, then the band started playing when we got the ball back and were trying to go score. Seems like there should be some kind of coordination prior to the game with the team and the band, where someone in the band is responsible for making sure they are playing when they should be, and quiet when they should be. I know the last the thing on the coaches mind is probably the band.. but I see the players looking into the stands telling us to get up of our butts and cheer when the game is close... so you know the players care about the crowd so i think the band should be getting turnt up when the players turn around telling us to stand up they should know to get loud as well. Like i said its probably a stupid post from a coaching perspective but as a fan i'd like to give our team every advantage possible and the crowd is definitely a factor in sports.

Liberty's band director did this all the time when he was at Hardin. 

The band is definitely important to the game. I get annoyed if there is a touchdown and the band doesn't  play the fight song because they 1) leaving the stands for halftime, 2) coming back to stands from halftime or 3) on some sort of third qtr restroom/snack break.  They have cut down on some of that nonsense.  However, I remember last time we played Ozen in the playoffs in 2014, freezing to death,  everyone in the stands was excited to see Ozen's band. 

17 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

My daughter goes to Crosby and dances at halftime.  I cheer for her and the rest of the kids but I wish the band was like others that I have seen. Examples: Temple and PNG, Central, and even BH. Just loosen up, play loud and have fun.  I don't think it's our kids but the band director...

Our drill team has Crosby's former Instructor, Mrs. Stoeck. I hated to see Mrs. Gray retire (being this is my daughters senior year). Isn't Crosbys band considered a military style band and has to present themselves as such ??

18 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

That's been a sore subject in BC this fall....

For years the band stayed down on the track and played and danced all through the third quarter. Last year everybody agreed that they could keep performing on the track (right behind the bench) during the 3rd quarter, as long as they shut it down while we were on offense.  

Apparently the band never appointed a lookout, because the crowd was yelling at the band to shut up in HF for playing while the offense was working during our first game this year.  After that the Nerd Herd got banished back into the stands where they belong.  It seems like they've almost stopped playing other than the fight song since then.  

Wow. That's harsh. Do you even know how much work they put in daily? They start practicing weeks before the football team even shows up. They have so many trophies and awards, they just pile them in a corner of the band hall, seriously. The BC band is well respected in this area as they are just that good. You call yourself "CardinalBacker." I guess you limit which Cardinals you "back," because calling a group of hard working, talented, amazing musicians "Nerd Herd" isn't exactly supportive. What a shame.

Our band has grown exponentially over the past few years. That has presented a problem during 3rd quarter because they're too big and way too loud. Last year it was agreed they would only play while we were on defense. Last year's head drum majors were very in tune with the game and controlled the band accordingly. The game is close, we're on defense, they knew what to have them play and play loud. They knew when to hush them. It worked well.

I don't know what happened this year other than they had almost 150 kids on the track, they were too loud, and were playing at the wrong time. Rather than have a discussion with band leadership and come to a compromise, they were told to shut down 3rd quarter. The band has had a change in leadership this year, new drum majors and different band director. I don't know what has happened, but I have heard from several people that they're too quiet during the game and that's a shame as they do play a crucial part to the vibe of the game. I've only been to one game this season so I can't form an opinion on that. But what I did notice is that even the fans have a different attitude, not as lively as they were last year. What changed?

Anywho....that's my 2 cents worth of rambling. Next time stick around at halftime and enjoy their show. They would appreciate the support.