Barbers Hill 40 Vidor 6/FINAL

WOSgrad

Oldshool2 - "upgrade facilities, spend money on a good coaching staff, hire more coaches...that's the way to be competitive because that's what all the good teams in Texas do"

ALL of  setx - "we don't need any of that.  We've done it this way forever.  You don't know what you're talking about"

I know it's game one.  But it seems like a good direction so far.

41 minutes ago, Sleepy1 said:

We got spanked. Congrats to BH.

Pirates have a whole lot to work on before district roles around. BH looked like a PNG team on steroids (no offence Indians), balanced offense with some great passing. With the sloppy field, the middle run game was going nowhere for us. Honestly, Pirates looked much better against WOS last week. Pirates need to count this one as a clinic to learn from.

PNGs coaching staff is no where in the same universe as these guys. This was a clinic with less athletes, IMO.

Everyone needs to slow their roll, its the first game of the season. Hell Crosby took an L to a state title contender on the road at Manvel, I guess that means the sky is falling, nope! We dont know if BH is that good or Vidor is just that bad. Watch for the progress in your teams in your week2 game, if your team gets worse they in trouble. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Everyone needs to slow their roll, its the first game of the season. Hell Crosby took an L to a state title contender on the road at Manvel, I guess that means the sky is falling, nope! We dont know if BH is that good or Vidor is just that bad. Watch for the progress in your teams in your week2 game, if your team gets worse they in trouble. 

You said vidor was going to be good?

Let it be known that BH fans are staying calm after this win. It's  the first game on a horrible field. It was beat to you know what, mud everywhere. The bad thing is that we don't face any passing teams till Crosby. That will be the gauge I go by. Vidor didn't use Quintare? very much because it's a non district game. Vidor needs to learn to finish on offense and I'm afraid on defense they will struggle defending the pass. With that being said, it was the best coached game we've seen in a while on the Hill. Very impressed.  Put this game behind us and get ready for Santa Fe.

Everyone knew that Vidor was vulnerable to the pass and it showed tonight. Take away the one long run the QB busted for the score and BH didn't move the ball on the ground much, granted they didn't have to because how well the passing game was working. If you got a step or two on anyone you where gone with the field conditions. Definitely wasn't going to run down anyone with mud ankle deep. Surprisingly there wasn't many turnovers on either side with the bad conditions. Hopefully booth squads made it out without any major injuries. 

Just be sure to be humble BH.....it was one game against Vidor.....be proud though. This new coach will be better than gage for sure....and don't talk about a new coaching staff....still have a lot of coaches that was there with gage that are still on staff now....big difference is the head coach can motivate and has a great system ...keep building on this win...have some good kids there with a lot of heart....but don't get cocky and start spouting off how good they are gonna be....

This result illustrates the difference a coach can make. Barber's Hill may not be anything special this year, and I don't think anyone will argue that Vidor did much to show BH's weaknesses, but when you have a new coach with new ideas and solid teaching skill, the kids respond powerfully. In that regard, the game also illustrates what a weakness Coach Matthews is for the Vidor team. I hate to fire shots at Coach Matthews, but he holds the Vidor team back. His 1950s offense is not a strength, it is an excuse. He needs to learn how to coach the pass and put a defense together that can defend that pass, or Vidor will continue to live well below its potential. It is frankly kind of pathetic to see the interviews with him, so proud of his horse-and-buggy offense, as if there is something creative and original about using a system that everyone else has abandoned and that continues to fail, even for him. Don't tell us you "like the run" and expect that to be a sufficient explanation for your inability to teach your players a huge part of the game. I like landline telephones, but I still use a cellphone, because it is more effective. Vidor can like the run all day, but Matthews needs to pursue the most effective option, not what is most comfortable for himself. 

8 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Oldshool2 - "upgrade facilities, spend money on a good coaching staff, hire more coaches...that's the way to be competitive because that's what all the good teams in Texas do"

ALL of  setx - "we don't need any of that.  We've done it this way forever.  You don't know what you're talking about"

+1,000,000

So much this 

5 hours ago, bljnhjs19 said:

Just be sure to be humble BH.....it was one game against Vidor.....be proud though. This new coach will be better than gage for sure....and don't talk about a new coaching staff....still have a lot of coaches that was there with gage that are still on staff now....big difference is the head coach can motivate and has a great system ...keep building on this win...have some good kids there with a lot of heart....but don't get cocky and start spouting off how good they are gonna be....

I don't think most Eagle fans are going to get cocky because most are not to start with.  You do however have a few that get a little "overzealous -haha" and some of the same that like to stir the pot for pot-stirring sake.  With that said though, as with ANY team fan on here, there is hope on the Hill and with hope comes excitement and with excitement comes a bit of defense/bold prediction from new found success.  The Eagles may not be world-beaters let alone district contenders this year, but we are all excited about the prospect and for Eagle fans who have endured the past few years and those God-awful uniforms, it's high time for sure!! 

9 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

:)

Let me start first by saying I'm new to this site. I have been around BH a long time ( 5th generation). I was at the game; it was good to watch solid football again from the HILL!!! I will have to say it is the first game and they have to get some things work out on defense aka run stopping.  BH has been soft for couple of years now, but the team i saw last night was different. We will see if it will be a good or a bad different.  So let mark this down as a Win and Move on to SF next week.  Good job to the Players and Coaches

And as my college coach told us:

" No matter what is written on paper, the game is played on grass!!) This may show my age so lets change it to Online and turf!!

34 minutes ago, #JIGEAGLE said:

Let me start first by saying I'm new to this site. I have been around BH a long time ( 5th generation). I was at the game; it was good to watch solid football again from the HILL!!! I will have to say it is the first game and they have to get some things work out on defense aka run stopping.  BH has been soft for couple of years now, but the team i saw last night was different. We will see if it will be a good or a bad different.  So let mark this down as a Win and Move on to SF next week.  Good job to the Players and Coaches

And as my college coach told us:

" No matter what is written on paper, the game is played on grass!!) This may show my age so lets change it to Online and turf!!

Welcome Jig...we need a few more of

us on this board to keep up with the others....lol

Spot on Jeter, been ready for a change for years.  If you don't practice pass how do you expect to defend it.  It has been Vidors Achilles heel forever.  Case in point Ned 3rd and 14, beautiful pass in the flat pick up 15 yards 1 and 10.  You can't start learning the pass on game night.  Been ready for a change for a long time... No disrespect to the coaches or players, just an opinion, that I have witness for years.  Need some changes...