I was hoping this was fake

PhatMack19

1 hour ago, PhatMack19 said:

I don't believe anyone is forcing people to say the pledge or pray.  The problem is when 1 person says they are offended so then everyone is punished.  Just sit there for 30 seconds while the rest of class says the pledge and mind your own business.  

I never figured out why people that don't believe in God are so offended by his mention.  Heck that's 30 seconds less school work everyday!

I have to begrudgingly respond to this topic...not just your response PhatMack19. One thing that many, including the U.S. Supreme Court, believes is that by forcing someone to sit out of a group participating in an activity that is extraneous to the purpose of the group, has the effect of alienating that person. For example, let's take high school football. If a coach preaches unity of teamwork ( there's no "I" in team) and all of the other team cohesion expressions, then gets to the end of practice and says, "Let's all pray". What does a non-religious team member do? That player has just participated in all of the team drills, listened to coaches preaching unity, and now has to go the corner while the rest of the team prays...in unity. And all of the team members see his "lack of unity". This is the whole reason why any type of religion is and should be prohibited in respective activities. Forcing someone to reveal their beliefs (and consequently being shown as an outcast) or showing team/group unity is a tough decision...not just for a high school kid but for anyone.

I'm not going to go into the history of when the phrase "under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance. That is a simple Bing search. But I do want to question all as to the validity of forcing a non-religious/other person the choice of repeating this phrase or being castigated as a non-member (aka Un-American).

35 minutes ago, Englebert said:

I have to begrudgingly respond to this topic...not just your response PhatMack19. One thing that many, including the U.S. Supreme Court, believes is that by forcing someone to sit out of a group participating in an activity that is extraneous to the purpose of the group, has the effect of alienating that person. For example, let's take high school football. If a coach preaches unity of teamwork ( there's no "I" in team) and all of the other team cohesion expressions, then gets to the end of practice and says, "Let's all pray". What does a non-religious team member do? That player has just participated in all of the team drills, listened to coaches preaching unity, and now has to go the corner while the rest of the team prays...in unity. And all of the team members see his "lack of unity". This is the whole reason why any type of religion is and should be prohibited in respective activities. Forcing someone to reveal their beliefs (and consequently being shown as an outcast) or showing team/group unity is a tough decision...not just for a high school kid but for anyone.

I'm not going to go into the history of when the phrase "under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance. That is a simple Bing search. But I do want to question all as to the validity of forcing a non-religious/other person the choice of repeating this phrase or being castigated as a non-member (aka Un-American).

I understand that.  It's a lot more than just prayers.  It's forcing bakers to bake cakes for gay couples etc.  Try going to a Muslim country and forcing your beliefs on them.  I would bet you would be without a head in no time.

How is that cross in PN Park hurting anyone?  95% of the area never even knew it was there until it made national news.  

40 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

I understand that.  It's a lot more than just prayers.  It's forcing bakers to bake cakes for gay couples etc.  Try going to a Muslim country and forcing your beliefs on them.  I would bet you would be without a head in no time.

How is that cross in PN Park hurting anyone?  95% of the area never even knew it was there until it made national news.  

I agree with you on these. But this is a secular country, and we shouldn't be forcing our beliefs on others. And these examples do not apply to the situation of this topic.

On 8/25/2016 at 9:36 PM, PhatMack19 said:

Mack

I don't care about the cross, or the pledge.  Some people do.   There are extremists on both sides.  Do you want the theory of evolution removed from science books?  Some do.  Do you want your kids taught that the Earth is 6000 years old and that people once lived with dinosaurs?  If some religious extremists had their way, that is what you would get.  It's best just to leave it out altogether, in my opinion.