DRONE SHOT BY NEIGHBORS

Hagar

This is the hidden content, please

The FAA needs to come up with some common sense (that'll be the day) rules on these things.      I think most newer ones have cameras and they can hover over your yard, and some pervs use them to look in homes.  As for as I'm concerned, it's just an expensive clay pigeon.

I don't see the problem with them and I think the complaints are for the most part nonsense. 

If it is hovering over your back yard at 30 feet and videoing into your window I can see an issue. Most of them have GoPro type cameras and at 200 feet you almost can't even make out a person. 

You can see into someone's back yard on Google Earth although not in real time. Unless you have a privacy fence of 6 feet or more, there is nothing that you can't see from the neighbor's yard. I have read many comments on another forum where people talk about "my air space", the drones is "trespassing" and I have the right to shoot it over my property. I hate to tell someone but I can fly a drone over my property and take photos of probably 95% of any of my neighbor's back yards. I can fly it over public property such as roadways, alleys and other right of ways and do the same thing. 

Both from cost of the units, from federal law on aircraft and possibly firing a gun in a neighborhood, a person that does so might be guilty of up to 3 felonies for shooting one down.  

Hmmm...... 

This took about a 30 second search on google to find the Tennessee state law on vandalism.

39-14-408. Vandalism.

(a)  Any person who knowingly causes damage to or the destruction of any real or personal property of another or of the state, the United States, any county, city, or town knowing that the person does not have the owner's effective consent is guilty of an offense under this section.

Let's see, "causes damage.. to any real property". Yeah, I can see where an officer couldn't find out a law.... that every cop learns about two weeks into the police academy.........

I am assuming that he didn't want to do the paperwork and came up with an "ignorance of the law" defense. I wonder if that works for other people. 

I wouldn't mind a fly by at 200 feet, but a 30 feet high hover is invading my privacy, and a potential danger.  That's why I said we need some common sense laws.  

I don't have a problem with drones (wish I had a good one), I just have a problem with how they can be abused.  And as of now, other than a phone call, there's no way to protect your family or your privacy.   Ironic, I can kill a man for doing that, but I'm virtually powerless against a drone.

5 years for shooting a drone over my property.....That's laughable and absurd.  WOW....the times we live in.  before long we the citizens won't have any rights.

I like how the deputy handled it. Common sense law:  Invasion of Privacy.

Just because big Government makes a law doesn't mean its right

3 hours ago, REBgp said:

I wouldn't mind a fly by at 200 feet, but a 30 feet high hover is invading my privacy, and a potential danger.  That's why I said we need some common sense laws.  

I don't have a problem with drones (wish I had a good one), I just have a problem with how they can be abused.  And as of now, other than a phone call, there's no way to protect your family or your privacy.   Ironic, I can kill a man for doing that, but I'm virtually powerless against a drone.

shows you how far off our govt has gotten

6 hours ago, REBgp said:

No, you cannot legally kill a man for peeping in your window or for trespassing on your property. 

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

No, you cannot legally kill a man for peeping in your window or for trespassing on your property. 

But, unless I'm mistaken, you can to protect your family.   

And honestly, I've never seen one (except on TV), and have no idea what a drone weighs, or what their props are made of.  In your opinion could they hurt someone with their props if they flew into you, or do they weight enough if they fell onto someone to injure them?

9 minutes ago, REBgp said:

But, unless I'm mistaken, you can to protect your family.   

And honestly, I've never seen one (except on TV), and have no idea what a drone weighs, or what their props are made of.  In your opinion could they hurt someone with their props if they flew into you, or do they weight enough if they fell onto someone to injure them?

There is no such thing in the law as protecting your family. If that was true I could shoot a guy walking down the street because he might have been a threat to my family. 

There are specific situations where for or deadly force is legally possible but nothing by relationship. If someone is trying to kill you or anyone else, it is lawful. If there is an armed robbery in progress, you can protect yourself or another person and so on.

The idea of something dropping on you is ludicrous. The only way it would even remotely be a danger is directly overhead. So your response to something being directly over your head being a danger.... is to shoot it down while it is over you? Oooookay, that makes sense.

The bottom line in the law is there is no self defense reasoning to shoot down a drone unless maybe a person was trying to ram you with it. 

42 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

There is no such thing in the law as protecting your family. If that was true I could shoot a guy walking down the street because he might have been a threat to my family. 

There are specific situations where for or deadly force is legally possible but nothing by relationship. If someone is trying to kill you or anyone else, it is lawful. If there is an armed robbery in progress, you can protect yourself or another person and so on.

The idea of something dropping on you is ludicrous. The only way it would even remotely be a danger is directly overhead. So your response to something being directly over your head being a danger.... is to shoot it down while it is over you? Oooookay, that makes sense.

The bottom line in the law is there is no self defense reasoning to shoot down a drone unless maybe a person was trying to ram you with it. 

Ok, so just for my edification, what does an average drone weigh?  I'm guessing it varies, depending on the model so just best guess.   And one more question, again best guess, if the prop hit your arm, would it just break?   Not trying to make a case, just curious.  As I posted above I'd love to have one.

47 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Ok, so just for my edification, what does an average drone weigh?  I'm guessing it varies, depending on the model so just best guess.   And one more question, again best guess, if the prop hit your arm, would it just break?   Not trying to make a case, just curious.  As I posted above I'd love to have one.

I have a cheap one just so I could learn to control it before I get an expensive one. It weighs next to nothing. With the batteries and camera, I think the more expensive ones weigh maybe 2-3 lbs.

15 minutes ago, baddog said:

I have a cheap one just so I could learn to control it before I get an expensive one. It weighs next to nothing. With the batteries and camera, I think the more expensive ones weigh maybe 2-3 lbs.

Thanks bd.