Art Briels Out at Baylor

BADSANTA

3 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Even if you haven't started school?

From how I understand the LOI, you are bound at the time you sign:

About the National Letter of Intent (NLI)

The NCAA manages the daily operations of the NLI program while the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) provides governance oversight of the program. Started in 1964 with seven conferences and eight independent institutions, the program now includes 650 Division I and Division II participating institutions.

The NLI is a voluntary program with regard to both institutions and student-athletes. No prospective student-athlete or parent is required to sign the NLI and no institution is required to join the program.

The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution.

• A prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the institution full-time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
  • The institution agrees to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).

The penalty for not fulfilling the NLI agreement: A student-athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports.

An important provision of the NLI program is a recruiting prohibition applied after a prospective student-athlete signs the NLI. This prohibition requires member institutions to cease recruitment of a prospective student-athlete once an NLI is signed with another institution.

17 minutes ago, GCMPats said:

The NCAA manages the daily operations of the NLI program while the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) provides governance oversight of the program. Started in 1964 with seven conferences and eight independent institutions, the program now includes 650 Division I and Division II participating institutions.

The NLI is a voluntary program with regard to both institutions and student-athletes. No prospective student-athlete or parent is required to sign the NLI and no institution is required to join the program.

The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution.

• A prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the institution full-time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
  • The institution agrees to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).

The penalty for not fulfilling the NLI agreement: A student-athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports.

An important provision of the NLI program is a recruiting prohibition applied after a prospective student-athlete signs the NLI. This prohibition requires member institutions to cease recruitment of a prospective student-athlete once an NLI is signed with another institution.

The NCAA can make that null and void if they choose to, and probably will. Maybe not for the kids that are already there, which is probably 50/50, but for the kids that have only signed a letter of intent the NCAA can choose to make that particular agreement, for that particular school, for that particular year non-binding. The NCAA can basically do as it chooses but it's likely that decision won't be made until down the line leaving the current kids in a quandary.

1 hour ago, jv_coach said:

I don't. They are getting a 100,000 dollar plus education for free. 

I agree it's about the education.  But in cases like these they are also providing a service for the university, maybe  minuscule in comparison but it's still there.  Athletes at this level probably received multiple offers so that coach could have been a large part of the reason they chose said university.  So in cases like this they should get an out.  

1 hour ago, GCMPats said:

How I read it as well, thanks.

Letter becomes Null and Void

This NLI shall be declared null and void if any of the following occur:

a.   Admissions Requirement.  This NLI shall be declared null and void if the institution named in this document notifies me in writing that I have been denied admission or, by the opening day of classes in fall 2016, has failed to provide me with written notice of admission, provided I have submitted a complete admission application. It is my obligation to provide, by request, my academic records and an application for admission to the signing institution. If I fail to submit the necessary academic credentials and/or application to determine an admission decision prior to September 1, the NLI office per its review with the institution will determine the status of the NLI.

If I am eligible for admission, but the institution named in this document defers my admission to a subsequent term, the NLI will be declared null and void; however, this NLI remains binding if I defer my admission.

b.   Eligibility Requirements.  This NLI shall be declared null and void if, by the opening day of classes in fall 2016, I have not met NCAA initial eligibility requirements; NCAA, conference or institution's requirements for athletics financial aid; or two-year college transfer requirements, provided I have submitted all necessary documents for eligibility determination.

(1) This NLI shall be rendered null and void if I become a nonqualifier per the NCAA Eligibility Center. This NLI remains valid if I am a partial qualifier per NCAA Division II rules unless I do not meet the institution's policies for receipt of athletics aid.

(2) It is my obligation to register with and provide information to the NCAA Eligibility Center. If I fail to submit the necessary documentation for an initial-eligibility decision and have not attended classes at the signing institution, the NLI office per its review with the institution will determine the status of the NLI.

(3) This NLI shall be rendered null and void if I am a midyear football two-year college transfer and I fail to graduate from two-year college at midyear, if required per NCAA, conference or institutional rules. The NLI remains binding for the following fall term if I graduated, was eligible for admission and financial aid and met the two-year college transfer requirements for competition for the winter or spring term, but chose to delay my admission.

c.   One-Year Absence.  This NLI shall be declared null and void if I have not attended any institution (two-year or four-year) for at least one academic year, provided my request for athletics financial aid for a subsequent fall term is denied by the signing institution. Service in active duty with the U.S. armed forces or an official church mission for at least 12 months can use the One-Year Absence to null and void the NLI. I may still apply this provision if I initially enrolled in an NLI member institution but have been absent for at least one academic year. To apply this provision, I must file with the appropriate conference office a statement from the director of athletics that such athletics financial aid will not be available for the requested fall term.

d.   Discontinued Sport  This NLI shall be declared null and void if the institution named in the document discontinues my sport.

e.  Recruiting Rules Violation.  If eligibility reinstatement by the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff is necessary due to NCAA and/or conference recruiting rules violations, the institution must notify me that I have an option to have the NLI declared null and void due to the rules violation. It is my decision to have the NLI remain valid or to have the NLI declared null and void, permitting me to be recruited and not be subject to NLI penalties.

This is the hidden content, please

Is an NLI binding if the coach of my sport leaves the instituion?

Yes. The NLI you signed with an institution remains binding if the coach who recruited you leaves the institution with which you signed. When you sign an NLI, you sign with an institution and not with a coach or a specific team.

1 hour ago, jv_coach said:

I don't. They are getting a 100,000 dollar plus education for free. 

Right. A 100K education they could have gotten at many other universities. They chose Baylor for football not education, and now the guy they committed to play for is gone. Any of these local kids going to Baylor could've gone to UT, A&M, TTU.....any of those schools. I'm so tired of disgruntled dudes sitting around telling a kid he shouldn't be upset because he's "getting an education".

20 minutes ago, Scatright said:

Right. A 100K education they could have gotten at many other universities. They chose Baylor for football not education, and now the guy they committed to play for is gone. Any of these local kids going to Baylor could've gone to UT, A&M, TTU.....any of those schools. I'm so tired of disgruntled dudes sitting around telling a kid he shouldn't be upset because he's "getting an education".

Most players are not recruited by the head coach. Position coaches or coaches recruiting areas are doing the hard work.

IMO

Any kid that went to the school because of the coach is going to the wrong school

6 minutes ago, bulldogbacker said:

Most players are not recruited by the head coach. Position coaches or coaches recruiting areas are doing the hard work.

IMO

Any kid that went to the school because of the coach is going to the wrong school

I agree that they need to have more of a fit than just the coach but that coach is also a fairly big part as well.

4 hours ago, GCMPats said:

True, but you cannot simply transfer if the coach leaves or is fired.

I agree, but you can bet there will be some sanctions coming down from the NCAA for the cover up.  Now as to what sanctions?  No idea.

4 hours ago, Scatright said:

A free education.

Not going to feel sorry for any of them dudes. Go to class, don't break the law, play football, and stop acting like I should feel sorry for you when your coach gets fired.

Or, transfer and sit a year. Life is full of choices.

14 minutes ago, GCMPats said:

A free education.

Not going to feel sorry for any of them dudes. Go to class, don't break the law, play football, and stop acting like I should feel sorry for you when your coach gets fired.

Or, transfer and sit a year. Life is full of choices.

Before anybody got fired, all I kept hearing was how these young men were committing and signing with Baylor because of the high quality education.  If that were really true, then I would not expect to see many transfers.