LCM vs Jasper

RykerX144. You seem to be the only one on here with any common sense. I have been saying the same thing for days. In my opinion it all boils down to the Bears sneaked a loop hole in and got a huge advantage and is not about to give it up no matter how insane it is. Because of that, the players and fans are paying the price. How can an administration allow a coach to completely disrupt 2 schools graduations, fans and family plans just because of politics. Let the kids play!

4 hours ago, 78Stang said:

RykerX144. You seem to be the only one on here with any common sense. I have been saying the same thing for days. In my opinion it all boils down to the Bears sneaked a loop hole in and got a huge advantage and is not about to give it up no matter how insane it is. Because of that, the players and fans are paying the price. How can an administration allow a coach to completely disrupt 2 schools graduations, fans and family plans just because of politics. Let the kids play!

Before we heap blame on Coach Griff, we need to look at the facts as they are rather than the fiction that KJAS tried to put out there.  There were 3 coin tosses. 

The first was whether it was a 1 game or 3 game series.  As we now know, Jasper, not LC-M, wanted a 1 game series.  Jasper won that toss.  Where is the criticism of Coach Kirkland, for denying fans of one, perhaps two, more games to see these two play.  I mean many more fans would have been afforded the opportunity to see the Bears and the Bulldogs and scouts would have had another game to come see the players.  There is no criticism because Coach Kirkland chose an option that is within the UIL rules which he felt benefited his team and gave him the best chance to be playing next week in the regional finals.  Is it a loophole in the rules?  Heck, yeah. But one that no one will blame Coach Kirkland for taking, nor should they.

Let's go to the second toss, that was for the day of the game.  LC-M wanted Wednesday, Jasper wanted Thursday.  Jasper won the toss.  Had LC-M won this toss or had Jasper agreed to Wednesday, this series would have already been settled as no matter which of the 3 venues in question, Gibbens Field in Orange, Jasper Athletic Complex or Vincent-Beck in Beaumont would have all been used.  By the same token, ALL of those fields, because of the weather, have been UNAVAILABLE for use since Thursday.  Anyone think that a game would have gotten off in Beaumont the last two days?  What about Jasper (and for those who claim Jasper would be ready to play, I would point you to the fact that Barbers Hill and Tomball, who were slated to play in Jasper yesterday afternoon, had to postpone their game there due to the weather)?  So if LC-M's choice was to play the game on Wednesday when the weather conditions would have allowed for this game to be played, why is Coach Griffith now being blamed for the fact that this has not been played yet.  Where is the criticism of Coach Kirkland for choosing the game date?  He, just like the rest of us, knew what the weather held and knew that scheduling a game on Thursday would potentially jam up against the graduation schedules of both LC-M and his own school.  There is none, because he deserves none.  Again, he had a choice and made the choice that he believed gave the Bulldogs the best chance to get to the regional finals.

Finally, the coin toss that apparently has everyone's panties in a bunch.  Coach Griffith, seeing that all of the other fators were going Jasper's way, took a gamble,  He eskewed the safety of a neutral field in Beaumont, about 3 times closer to him than Jasper, to say that if he won the toss, the game would be a Gibbens Field.  Coach Kirkland knew what he was doing.  In fact, Coach Kirkland warned him that if Griff insisted on home vs. home, that the game would be in Jasper if Coach Kirkland won that toss.  Griff was good with that and guess what!  He won.  So he chose his home field.  Why?  Because like Coach Kirkland in the first two tosses, Coach Griffith went with a choice that he felt have his guys the best chance to play.  And now he is getting crucified for the only choice he had at all in this series. 

I think there are some folks who have been whinin' just a little too much in this thread.

25 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Before we heap blame on Coach Griff, we need to look at the facts as they are rather than the fiction that KJAS tried to put out there.  There were 3 coin tosses. 

The first was whether it was a 1 game or 3 game series.  As we now know, Jasper, not LC-M, wanted a 1 game series.  Jasper won that toss.  Where is the criticism of Coach Kirkland, for denying fans of one, perhaps two, more games to see these two play.  I mean many more fans would have been afforded the opportunity to see the Bears and the Bulldogs and scouts would have had another game to come see the players.  There is no criticism because Coach Kirkland chose an option that is within the UIL rules which he felt benefited his team and gave him the best chance to be playing next week in the regional finals.  Is it a loophole in the rules?  Heck, yeah. But one that no one will blame Coach Kirkland for taking, nor should they.

Let's go to the second toss, that was for the day of the game.  LC-M wanted Wednesday, Jasper wanted Thursday.  Jasper won the toss.  Had LC-M won this toss or had Jasper agreed to Wednesday, this series would have already been settled as no matter which of the 3 venues in question, Gibbens Field in Orange, Jasper Athletic Complex or Vincent-Beck in Beaumont would have all been used.  By the same token, ALL of those fields, because of the weather, have been UNAVAILABLE for use since Thursday.  Anyone think that a game would have gotten off in Beaumont the last two days?  What about Jasper (and for those who claim Jasper would be ready to play, I would point you to the fact that Barbers Hill and Tomball, who were slated to play in Jasper yesterday afternoon, had to postpone their game there due to the weather)?  So if LC-M's choice was to play the game on Wednesday when the weather conditions would have allowed for this game to be played, why is Coach Griffith now being blamed for the fact that this has not been played yet.  Where is the criticism of Coach Kirkland for choosing the game date?  He, just like the rest of us, knew what the weather held and knew that scheduling a game on Thursday would potentially jam up against the graduation schedules of both LC-M and his own school.  There is none, because he deserves none.  Again, he had a choice and made the choice that he believed gave the Bulldogs the best chance to get to the regional finals.

Finally, the coin toss that apparently has everyone's panties in a bunch.  Coach Griffith, seeing that all of the other fators were going Jasper's way, took a gamble,  He eskewed the safety of a neutral field in Beaumont, about 3 times closer to him than Jasper, to say that if he won the toss, the game would be a Gibbens Field.  Coach Kirkland knew what he was doing.  In fact, Coach Kirkland warned him that if Griff insisted on home vs. home, that the game would be in Jasper if Coach Kirkland won that toss.  Griff was good with that and guess what!  He won.  So he chose his home field.  Why?  Because like Coach Kirkland in the first two tosses, Coach Griffith went with a choice that he felt have his guys the best chance to play.  And now he is getting crucified for the only choice he had at all in this series. 

I think there are some folks who have been whinin' just a little too much in this thread.

Thank you! Coach Griff is a  very good coach and doesn't need the unnecessary comments. 

I agree with Grad and everything he said, I'm not whining or blaming either coach.  Weather which neither coach or anyone can control has changed everything, I'm just saying at this point I think if they can't get the field ready and rather than not play, and there is venue local that is turf and can be played then do the right thing.  

My other comment was that I don't think Coach would have agreed on VB even if he won the Wed flip, what the difference in playing VB on wed or thurs?  I think he still would have tried for LCM.

the offer to play at Lamar Wednesday was attempt to face the opposing pitcher on four days rest.  

Then our team (who leads 4A in home runs) only flipped between lcm/jasper because lcm and jasper fields had shorter fences than Lamar if could not catch pitcher on short rest. coach is just looking for any edge to help us.  he gave example that we might have lost in first round if at Lamar and our lone HR ball had stayed in the park there. Said directly to me there was no risk in forcing jasper to flip home or home because if he lost the flip bears love jaspers new field because it makes our defense stronger and fence is reachable.  says we played well enough there to be 3-0 vs three very good teams.

I heard last night that even if our field is playable, but required hours if labor to get it ready by our players and coaches,  he may possibly opt to just go to jasper tonight.  he does not want to fatigue our team, in attempt to save those not at graduation energy for the actual contest. At one time in my life that decision would have been made in my best interest because I was in the dugout. now that decision makes me possibly drive to jasper but unlike many on here I understand why decisions are made and who he is making them for. 

and lastly just as I was about to submit I see ryker talk of not playing. who ever said anything about not playing? neither coach has ever mentioned not playing. 

just got message for alumni to come pull the tarp. others come if can. 

8 minutes ago, bears09 said:

the offer to play at Lamar Wednesday was attempt to face the opposing pitcher on four days rest.  

Then our team (who leads 4A in home runs) only flipped between lcm/jasper because lcm and jasper fields had shorter fences than Lamar if could not catch pitcher on short rest. coach is just looking for any edge to help us.  he gave example that we might have lost in first round if at Lamar and our lone HR ball had stayed in the park there. Said directly to me there was no risk in forcing jasper to flip home or home because if he lost the flip bears love jaspers new field because it makes our defense stronger and fence is reachable.  says we played well enough there to be 3-0 vs three very good teams.

I heard last night that even if our field is playable, but required hours if labor to get it ready by our players and coaches,  he may possibly opt to just go to jasper tonight.  he does not want to fatigue our team, in attempt to save those not at graduation energy for the actual contest. At one time in my life that decision would have been made in my best interest because I was in the dugout. now that decision makes me possibly drive to jasper but unlike many on here I understand why decisions are made and who he is making them for. 

and lastly just as I was about to submit I see ryker talk of not playing. who ever said anything about not playing? neither coach has ever mentioned not playing. 

I'd help if I wasn't at work

1 hour ago, bears09 said:

Thank you.  Finally the real story.  It does make sense.  Now looking forward to seeing if the LCM thinking will make any difference in the actual game.  Rain stay away, let's get this game played!

6 minutes ago, lcmfan said:

2pm is decision time.

I hear it don't look good. but the guy that told me that has not laid eyes on the field. he was basing that on he lives near field and got a bunch of rain. 

Yes that late rain did drop a lot of water. Hopefully we will play at home! 

Everyone here has been around Texas athletics long enough to know how this works.  There is, and always will be, some gamesmanship in this process.  It adds to the intrigue.  

Bottom line is Jasper think their best chance is in a one game series (as I hear a couple pitchers have been slowed by injuries, and not to mention that is a typical strategy when you feel you have a dominate pitcher), and LCM chose home and home flip.  

I don't buy the Jasper's coach didn't know they were flipping for home and home as the article states.   This isn't either of theirs first rodeo.  

Sooner or later they will play and I doubt very much if the athletes give a rip where the game takes place.   

Having said all of that, I do agree that being able to flip for playing on your home field should not be an option in the playoffs, but as long as it is then no one has done anything whatsoever wrong by choosing that option.

Good luck Dogs.

4 minutes ago, T-daddy said:

The Jasper boys want to play the game in LCM !!!  That way they leave no doubt ... The only reason LCM is leading the district in home runs is the LCM short field!!! That very well could back fire on them tonight... So get the swamp ready cause the DAWGS are headed south !!!!

You got your wish. Come on down to Cypress Bayou! Be safe

19 minutes ago, T-daddy said:

The Jasper boys want to play the game in LCM !!!  That way they leave no doubt ... The only reason LCM is leading the district in home runs is the LCM short field!!! That very well could back fire on them tonight... So get the swamp ready cause the DAWGS are headed south !!!!

Some were hit at home and a couple of those were wind aided and cheap, that is correct.  But take away those few cheap ones, and only count the ones on the road and the no doubters at home and they still lead all of southeast Texas. Come on down.  I read the same quote from another team that had only lost four games all year that we played in the first round. They had good team like yours.  We just played well.  Hopefully we can again.  Good luck to both teams.