Woodville Open

15 hours ago, jv_coach said:

Thanks for proving my point. 
Daddy payed a lot of money to get his way for his son growing up, so why stop now, right mac?   Last time I checked at a small school the coach better be able to coach multiple sports.  Also maybe your little johnny is not as talented as you think he is. All kids matter but your kid matters most.

JV check the rosters on ALL varsity teams. Jasper, Bridge City,  Hudson, Evadale, Woodville ETC. Big Sandy ALL rosters Starting positions are filled with select players that have had professional lessons to make these kids the best. The Benches are filled with kids that were not fortunate enough to get the instruction they needed. Some parents are more helpful than others. TRY asking any of the coaches if any of their teams would be as successful as they are without the parents. All kids matter but some work harder than others and some have more resourses spent on them than others. and this is the reason 1 child out performs another.

It does not matter how many years your kid plays select balll. There is only one way a PARENT should have any say whatsoever in regards to what happens with coaching. Get on the school board. The school board is people, elected by the people. Good for the parents getting their kid in select ball. However, to think that somehow gives you any say so whatsoever as to what goes on at the school is comical. If little johnny and his parent are that frustrated with the program there, this is america, and you have a right to move wherever you want. 

Lets please put to rest that select ball dads and moms should have any input on a baseball schools program. Get real.

6 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

It does not matter how many years your kid plays select balll. There is only one way a PARENT should have any say whatsoever in regards to what happens with coaching. Get on the school board. The school board is people, elected by the people. Good for the parents getting their kid in select ball. However, to think that somehow gives you any say so whatsoever as to what goes on at the school is comical. If little johnny and his parent are that frustrated with the program there, this is america, and you have a right to move wherever you want.

Lets please put to rest that select ball dads and moms should have any input on a baseball schools program. Get real.

You think they don't. and yes it happens even in Silsbee.

18 hours ago, jv_coach said:

Thanks for proving my point. 
Daddy payed a lot of money to get his way for his son growing up, so why stop now, right mac?   Last time I checked at a small school the coach better be able to coach multiple sports.  Also maybe your little johnny is not as talented as you think he is. All kids matter but your kid matters most.  

Your right my little Johnny is not talented. Instead of answering my question, you want to rant about my kid.  And where in the post did you get that my kid matters most, apparently you don't know me very well then. 

Your right a coach does need to coach multiple sports in a small school.  If you didn't understand the comment then I probably can't explain to you. 

2 hours ago, Mac said:

Your right my little Johnny is not talented. Instead of answering my question, you want to rant about my kid.  And where in the post did you get that my kid matters most, apparently you don't know me very well then. 

Your right a coach does need to coach multiple sports in a small school.  If you didn't understand the comment then I probably can't explain to you. 

I totally understand your comments, but you sir may have a harder time understanding your comments. 

5 hours ago, longball24 said:

JV check the rosters on ALL varsity teams. Jasper, Bridge City,  Hudson, Evadale, Woodville ETC. Big Sandy ALL rosters Starting positions are filled with select players that have had professional lessons to make these kids the best. The Benches are filled with kids that were not fortunate enough to get the instruction they needed. Some parents are more helpful than others. TRY asking any of the coaches if any of their teams would be as successful as they are without the parents. All kids matter but some work harder than others and some have more resourses spent on them than others. and this is the reason 1 child out performs another.

Yes, and all those coaches are complaining about parents who think because their kids plays select ball or that their kid has a select tournament coming up that their kid does not need to either listen to the coach or have a different set of rules apply to them.   All kids matter ,but my kid matters more  sorta like all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others

This is the hidden content, please

Just because you play select baseball does not make you a baseball player. Anyone can play select, the academys  are full of kids that have average skills but big dreams. This does give parents the impression or illusion their child is better than they are. I agree. But for the parents that recognize the skill set and encourage their youngster to do better they are not the problem, They are a asset. Most all parents that have a kid that is interested in playing at the next level have done their homework and know what it takes to play  for instance you better run a 7.0  60 or less 6.7 for major D1  RH pitcher 88-90 infield 88+ outfield 90+ Hitters must have above average power. Not all baseball players or equal. Everything listed above has to be worked on from a early age. You cant just say I am  16 years old and I will work on throwing 90 now. To late should have started when you first picked up a glove.

8 hours ago, longball24 said:

Just because you play select baseball does not make you a baseball player. Anyone can play select, the academys  are full of kids that have average skills but big dreams. This does give parents the impression or illusion their child is better than they are. I agree. But for the parents that recognize the skill set and encourage their youngster to do better they are not the problem, They are a asset. Most all parents that have a kid that is interested in playing at the next level have done their homework and know what it takes to play  for instance you better run a 7.0  60 or less 6.7 for major D1  RH pitcher 88-90 infield 88+ outfield 90+ Hitters must have above average power. Not all baseball players or equal. Everything listed above has to be worked on from a early age. You cant just say I am  16 years old and I will work on throwing 90 now. To late should have started when you first picked up a glove.

Are you saying that anyone who works at it long enough and hard enough can throw 90?

I would never tell a kid he could not throw 90.  most could accomplish this with the proper workout and proper mechanics. years ago everyone thought you had to have good genes to throw 90 now it is mainly heart and desire. saw a kid a few years back that had something wrong with his arm could not stretch his arm out . walked around with his arm at a 45 degree angle. He threw 93 at perfect game showcase in Tomball.

Parent support is huge in good baseball programs, but their is a fine line that parents should walk. At the end of the day the coach will do whats best for the baseball team/program not lil johnny. I have no clue of the situation in Woodville, that's just my general opinion. Hope y'all find a good HC. 

The difference in this thread and one on Woodville's softball program is eye opening. Someone one questioned the softball coach's decision to play a one game series and Eagle fans were quick to support him. The baseball coach wins 18 games and makes the playoffs and some of the same people basically say good riddance. Woodville is very lucky to have a really good softball coach and to have also had a good baseball coach. Both deserve kudos and best wishes in their respective future plans. That return to glory tour would be a lot easier if the Becks, Riley's and Winters had some eligibility left ;)

5 hours ago, whsalum said:

The difference in this thread and one on Woodville's softball program is eye opening. Someone one questioned the softball coach's decision to play a one game series and Eagle fans were quick to support him. The baseball coach wins 18 games and makes the playoffs and some of the same people basically say good riddance. Woodville is very lucky to have a really good softball coach and to have also had a good baseball coach. Both deserve kudos and best wishes in their respective future plans. That return to glory tour would be a lot easier if the Becks, Riley's and Winters had some eligibility left ;)

Exactly why I said it was no coincidence he left when he did...

On 5/27/2016 at 2:06 PM, whsalum said:

My "good riddance" comment was a coming from my sense of disappointment that he didn't stick around longer, whether that was his doing or not. It wasn't a shot at his skill as a coach. He was a good baseball coach and did a lot of good things ALL the kids in the program, including the JV. 

Wow!  How can you people say such Rediculous crap about coach Hennigan or coach Wilroy?  Saying he got out basically when the well was dry?  Let's set a few things straight. There were no rileys, becks, and winters in Spurger when Hennigan took them to the state championship game 2 years in a row!  There also were no becks, rileys, and winters in colmesneil when Hennigan took them to state either!  In fact when he took colmesneil to state he did when they were a class 2a team!  He had other good players with different names such as brown, mccabe, gill, douglas, mann, winkle, and many others. What is the common denominator there?  HENNIGAN!   Here's you another point you seem to be missing, when Hennigan came over from colmesneil he and wilroy inherited an eagle team that came in 4th in district and missed the playoffs. With the exact same team that another great coach (mixon) missed the playoffs with, not only did Hennigan take the teams to the playoffs, but took the team to the regional finals getting beat by the eventual state Champs who went 37-0 by 1 run in two games!  Now if you knew what the real reason he left the when did you would probably feel pretty stupid. I happen to know the man and know exactly why he left. He left because he was a single parent raising 3 young kids!  And the final straw was when his son started playing baseball he saw 1 game!  Now go ahead a take away from a great career if you so choose, but remember  this, to this day Hennigan is the only coach in Texas history to take 3 different teams to the state championship!   Not only that, but from the same county!  Sounds to me like yall just don't like the man?  A home town boy does good and all you can do is try to take away the work he did

Wow is right......I happen to be a Hennigan fan also.....but how did we go from new Wdvl coach to the the greatest High Scool baseball coach of all time. And I am pretty sure Mixon is staying with Softball and has nothing to do with this blog and comparisons to anyone. I am also pretty sure Hennigan is not looking into getting back into coaching. Hennigan also had a lot of help from parents and that guy who owns The Tree restaurant. I don't remember hearing anything about none not liking him or Wilroy.......geez

I don't remember anyone knocking Hennigan, I know I didn't. I also know that the well was a long way from being dry in Spurger and Colmesneil when he coached those programs. One of the best small school games I ever watched was a playoff game at Hennigan park with McCabe on the hill for Spurger and Douglas pitching for Colmesneil. Both could have easily played college ball had they chosen to.

Spurger never did one thing in baseball before Hennigan got there and hasn't done a single thing after he left. Also seeing that it was his first job out of college I doubt he was cherry picking?  I'm sure he took what he could get. He may have got lucky, but his results speak for themself.  I also know by speaking to him years ago that he moved to colmesneil because he felt like they were going up in classification and they did. Colmesneil has won many state championships, but all were at the 1A level. Hennigans team lost in the state championship game to Weimar as a 2a team!  There's a huge difference in 1A and 2a!  And what he did in woodville is simply amazing. Took a 3a team that didn't make the playoffs the year before he got there and took basically the same team mixon had to the regional finals is simply awesome. Hennigan was head coach for 5 years in woodville and won a state championship, but what is even more amazing is he took his teams to 4 regional finals in 5 years!  People should recognize as Thornton Melon brought up, Hennigan was the best the county has ever seen period. Only other in the same conversation is Ben Stuart from colmesneil!   

On May 31, 2016 at 10:32 PM, BaseballForever said:

Spurger never did one thing in baseball before Hennigan got there and hasn't done a single thing after he left. Also seeing that it was his first job out of college I doubt he was cherry picking?  I'm sure he took what he could get. He may have got lucky, but his results speak for themself.  I also know by speaking to him years ago that he moved to colmesneil because he felt like they were going up in classification and they did. Colmesneil has won many state championships, but all were at the 1A level. Hennigans team lost in the state championship game to Weimar as a 2a team!  There's a huge difference in 1A and 2a!  And what he did in woodville is simply amazing. Took a 3a team that didn't make the playoffs the year before he got there and took basically the same team mixon had to the regional finals is simply awesome. Hennigan was head coach for 5 years in woodville and won a state championship, but what is even more amazing is he took his teams to 4 regional finals in 5 years!  People should recognize as Thornton Melon brought up, Hennigan was the best the county has ever seen period. Only other in the same conversation is Ben Stuart from colmesneil!   

Great post Coach.

Back to the original post...... Woodville baseball job is open. Been open the longest and no action. HJ was open for what 3 days before they got someone. Woodville has a great baseball tradition, but it seems as if baseball is put on the back burner. Sad that a quality program with good kids gets treated like that.