Ozen Is Open?

setxguru

5 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

I've never applied for no basketball job so I think somebody probably did slip one on you smh you just say anything on here.

..you do know that you're cover has been blown for quite some time now, right?  A poster on here, a relative of yours have already discovered the truth...  

2 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

You're missing my point...point is I'm not sure any coach in the area has what it takes to bring a state title to Beaumont because the things they are teaching are so outdated. Hiring any of these coaches around the area will continue to bring in mediocre results i.e first and second round playoff exits. Go get a coach that knows something else besides the cliche SETX way of doing things. 

No I think you missed the real point and that is producing quality young men who can learned to be successful through discipline and hard work. Sports are only temporary and most programs will never become a powerhouse or even win a State Title. The programs that do usually have great parent, community support and dedicated/committed players who invest in their own futures. The coaches have invested time in their communities and have most times established good relations. Parents make sure their kids go to class, practice and offseason workouts. This usually is a good start to building a winning program but if anything we want young men with winning character who can contribute positively to their community. As the dust gathers on that coveted State Trophy in the end these young men's lives being successful will look even better! Now that's winning.

15 minutes ago, JRidge said:

No I think you missed the real point and that is producing quality young men who can learned to be successful through discipline and hard work. Sports are only temporary and most programs will never become a powerhouse or even win a State Title. The programs that do usually have great parent, community support and dedicated/committed players who invest in their own futures. The coaches have invested time in their communities and have most times established good relations. Parents make sure their kids go to class, practice and offseason workouts. This usually is a good start to building a winning program but if anything we want young men with winning character who can contribute positively to their community. As the dust gathers on that coveted State Trophy in the end these young men's lives being successful will look even better! Now that's winning.

Ozen is already producing plenty of young men that are doing all the things that you just described so again you're missing the point...a coach is hired to simply do one thing and thats WIN.

2 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Lol how about you apply...I'm pretty sure you've learned a lot about football in those refineries. 

Not interested.  By the way, you are the one who had major offers from every conference out there and went to TCU, so you must be the right man for the job right?  Futhermore, if you knew what that chemical plant (not a refinery, there is a difference) was paying me, you'd be inboxing me to help get you on...

1 minute ago, Jag Insider said:

Not interested.  By the way, you are the one who had major offers from every conference out there and went to TCU, so you must be the right man for the job right?  Futhermore, if you knew what that chemical plant (not a refinery, there is a difference) was paying me, you'd be inboxing me to help get you on...

Exactly so talk about things that you actually have knowledge of...cause it's obvious your expertise wasn't in athletics.

14 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

Ozen is already producing plenty of young men that are doing all the things that you just described so again you're missing the point...a coach is hired to simply do one thing and thats WIN.

Winning has a lot to do with character and other intangibles. Read carefully everything I've  stated. I would love to have wins on Friday nights but experiencing young men getting an opportunity to acquire a college education is winning to me. Winning in sports gives bragging rights but winning off the field and through opportunities to further education breeds life. My priorities are  just different from yours is all, but as a former recipent of a college scholarship and player who only lost 2 games from Pop Warner until his HS Sr. Year, from experience the wins are cool but a college degree for these young men will be priceless. The best coaches build more than a good resume! 

8 minutes ago, JRidge said:

Winning has a lot to do with character and other intangibles. Read carefully everything I've  stated. I would love to have wins on Friday nights but experiencing young men getting an opportunity to acquire a college education is winning to me. Winning in sports gives bragging rights but winning off the field and through opportunities to further education breeds life. My priorities are  just different from yours is all, but as a former recipent of a college scholarship and player who only lost 2 games from Pop Warner until his HS Sr. Year, from experience the wins are cool but a college degree for these young men will be priceless. The best coaches build more than a good resume! 

I agree I'm all for players going to school but one thing that is the biggest misconception among parents like yourself is that it's the coaches duty to get your child a scholarship...NO! A player has to be willing to market himself as I did my head coach didn't help me nor any of my classmates get scholarships thats on the players and parents. Now if that coach does decide to help the players then cool but at the end of the day thats not really his duty. Also Ozen has consistently produced college athletes since the school has opened so what you're saying Ozen needs is already there lol thats nothing new, we need a guy who is going to produce wins cause the athletes are there and Ozen will always produce college athletes no matter what. Winning will more than likely make it better for the players. 

31 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

I agree I'm all for players going to school but one thing that is the biggest misconception among parents like yourself is that it's the coaches duty to get your child a scholarship...NO! A player has to be willing to market himself as I did my head coach didn't help me nor any of my classmates get scholarships thats on the players and parents. Now if that coach does decide to help the players then cool but at the end of the day thats not really his duty. Also Ozen has consistently produced college athletes since the school has opened so what you're saying Ozen needs is already there lol thats nothing new, we need a guy who is going to produce wins cause the athletes are there and Ozen will always produce college athletes no matter what. Winning will more than likely make it better for the players. 

Ozensfinest I respect the fact that you have a right to express your opinion but I am not and never will be one of those parents to depend on any coach to get my kids into a school. My wife and i both are well knowledgeable of the opportunities available for most kids to get into college. We do the camp scene at colleges who recruit the size and type of players my kids resemble. They have done summer track for several years and now do travel baseball as I video all of their competitions to send footage to colleges. Coaches sometimes lie and I've seen it done therefore like I said before parental support is needed. You have some good points but sometimes you generalize everyone in your statements. If my kids stay healthy they will go to school free whether their team wins a game or not and I will still love them the same. What's important to me is did they prepare themself to play at their best and did they give they're all when they played? Also being able to make the right decisions and having a successful life. You're talking to a guy who's won in baseball, basketball and football who has a son who was ranked #1 in the world in one sport and #5 All-purpose back in the Nation on Rivals.com. I may look or sound like your average Joe but I'm not. Be Blessed my Brother! 

16 minutes ago, JRidge said:

Ozensfinest I respect the fact that you have a right to express your opinion but I am not and never will be one of those parents to depend on any coach to get my kids into a school. My wife and i both are well knowledgeable of the opportunities available for most kids to get into college. We do the camp scene at colleges who recruit the size and type of players my kids resemble. They have done summer track for several years and now do travel baseball as I video all of their competitions to send footage to colleges. Coaches sometimes lie and I've seen it done therefore like I said before parental support is needed. You have some good points but sometimes you generalize everyone in your statements. If my kids stay healthy they will go to school free whether their team wins a game or not and I will still love them the same. What's important to me is did they prepare themself to play at their best and did they give they're all when they played? Also being able to make the right decisions and having a successful life. You're talking to a guy who's won in baseball, basketball and football who has a son who was ranked #1 in the world in one sport and #5 All-purpose back in the Nation on Rivals.com. I may look or sound like your average Joe but I'm not. Be Blessed my Brother! 

We're not talking about you Ridge we're debating who would be a good fit for the program...you're saying Ozen should hire a guy that can get players in school when Ozen already sending players to college I'm just trying to understand your point and I know you personally so I respect your opinion I'm just waiting on you to justify why Ozen should keep hiring folks from within the area when it has worked in over 10 years try something new go get a coach from one of the big cities that know more football than the typical setx of doing things thats all I'm saying.

Jridge, man I want to meet you somewhere and buy you lunch. In my opinion you are spot on. I have 32 years in this business of coaching young men and I have seen a lot as well as experiencing my own interactions with coaches at my high school of Marlin Texas. But your statement of finding someone who actually cares for the young men as well as wins and losses is the key. When I was DC at Crosby in the 90's, we scrimmaged Ozen and I was impressed with the talent. We also played lamarque twice in the dome during those years and Ozen was the only team that had talent close to lamarque, now they didn't have the experience, coaching, support and other important variables. Unfortunately in our business many coaches are $ hoppers, looking to increase salary or if they are older, looking to increase their retirement multiplier. They are smooth talkers and tell the search or interview committee what they want to hear instead of having that committee due hard core investigating of the REAL reason someone wants to be the head coach of your foreign school. I have had the honor of working for 9 different coaches at 4 different schools, clear lake, Crosby, Aldine Eisenhower , and Baytown sterling. Two were truly great and successful and really cared about their kids and  this led to their success, Coach Stewart of clear lake and coach Carson of big Ike . Two others really cared for kids but weren't as successful for various reasons but I am proud to say I worked for them because they developed men. A few of the others were dull, unimaginative and thus unsuccessful. 3 others were cancers and harmed kids, I wouldn't spit on them to put out a fire on their burning body, yet they still get head jobs today because they get over on those who really do the hiring and are too lazy to research. Jridge I hope you are on the search or interview committee. I like to give the example of UT-AM with regards to coaching. Yes I am a UT grad but also a big supporter of AM ( my most successful player was Steve McKinney an Aggie, then colt, then Texan) and cheer for everything Texas. I had the honor of attending the last ut-am game at Kyle field. Before the game the Aggies HC, I forgot his name which tells you how little impact he had on Aggies nation but especially his players. Met the Aggies seniors as the were announced near mid field. They all came to coach former Texan tight end coach and just shook hands, I was appalled! The week before UT did the same senior recognition and players as well as their families met Mack Brown at the 50 where EVERYONE was crying and hugging. A M hired the no name coach because he looked like them and was a good old boy, thus no one remembers his name, yet former UT players are naming their sons Mack. I know and agree Mack overstayed by 2 years, but that showed why one program was successful and the other a non factor. I emulate Mack because one day I got to answer to St. Peter that I did all I could to help these young men become great men. That is why I still grind after 32 years. MUCH RESPECT TO YOU JRIDGE!!!!!

coach bear

12 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

We're not talking about you Ridge we're debating who would be a good fit for the program...you're saying Ozen should hire a guy that can get players in school when Ozen already sending players to college I'm just trying to understand your point and I know you personally so I respect your opinion I'm just waiting on you to justify why Ozen should keep hiring folks from within the area when it has worked in over 10 years try something new go get a coach from one of the big cities that know more football than the typical setx of doing things thats all I'm saying.

What i am trying to convey is that if all coaches have to leave home who have invested time in our community, lived here for a good period of time and have ties to our churches then we should know their character and potential.Some people have attributes to become a good or great coach but need the time and opportunity to develop. We often go after the quick fix for an HC but they often leave in a few years leaving the program to start over. I believe we need to focus on consistency and being patient with the winning part as a coach is given the opportunity to establish relationships throughout. If people support the coach and have their kids respect and support what the coaches have for them to do then this task becomes a bit easier. We have good athletes here in S.E. Texas who go off to college but soon return with out that degree. We also have several who return with one and should not automatically have to seek another city to obtain a coaching job. Those who have played in this area are used to this area and would most likely stay. The problem has been coaching turnovers not the scholarships as you stated and our kids need consistency and mentors who will be here as a sounding board for them when needed. I've witnessed so many of these young men commit crimes and end up locked up and no win can stop this. Give us someone with football knowledge and good character to instill values in these kids lives and let him build a quality coaching staff who wants to be here and care about this community. The winning will come as kids will jump threw hoops and run threw walls to try and please them. If you change kids mindset for the better without changing coaches every few years the winning on the field will come. Still in all i say winning after you leave the field is most valuable. P.S. I enjoyed watching you play, we LB's have that certain mindset and i never liked loosing either so i do know where you are coming from. I just think we need to start from the values point and then work our way up to the winning that's all. Be Blessed! 

5 hours ago, coach bear said:

Jridge, man I want to meet you somewhere and buy you lunch. In my opinion you are spot on. I have 32 years in this business of coaching young men and I have seen a lot as well as experiencing my own interactions with coaches at my high school of Marlin Texas. But your statement of finding someone who actually cares for the young men as well as wins and losses is the key. When I was DC at Crosby in the 90's, we scrimmaged Ozen and I was impressed with the talent. We also played lamarque twice in the dome during those years and Ozen was the only team that had talent close to lamarque, now they didn't have the experience, coaching, support and other important variables. Unfortunately in our business many coaches are $ hoppers, looking to increase salary or if they are older, looking to increase their retirement multiplier. They are smooth talkers and tell the search or interview committee what they want to hear instead of having that committee due hard core investigating of the REAL reason someone wants to be the head coach of your foreign school. I have had the honor of working for 9 different coaches at 4 different schools, clear lake, Crosby, Aldine Eisenhower , and Baytown sterling. Two were truly great and successful and really cared about their kids and  this led to their success, Coach Stewart of clear lake and coach Carson of big Ike . Two others really cared for kids but weren't as successful for various reasons but I am proud to say I worked for them because they developed men. A few of the others were dull, unimaginative and thus unsuccessful. 3 others were cancers and harmed kids, I wouldn't spit on them to put out a fire on their burning body, yet they still get head jobs today because they get over on those who really do the hiring and are too lazy to research. Jridge I hope you are on the search or interview committee. I like to give the example of UT-AM with regards to coaching. Yes I am a UT grad but also a big supporter of AM ( my most successful player was Steve McKinney an Aggie, then colt, then Texan) and cheer for everything Texas. I had the honor of attending the last ut-am game at Kyle field. Before the game the Aggies HC, I forgot his name which tells you how little impact he had on Aggies nation but especially his players. Met the Aggies seniors as the were announced near mid field. They all came to coach former Texan tight end coach and just shook hands, I was appalled! The week before UT did the same senior recognition and players as well as their families met Mack Brown at the 50 where EVERYONE was crying and hugging. A M hired the no name coach because he looked like them and was a good old boy, thus no one remembers his name, yet former UT players are naming their sons Mack. I know and agree Mack overstayed by 2 years, but that showed why one program was successful and the other a non factor. I emulate Mack because one day I got to answer to St. Peter that I did all I could to help these young men become great men. That is why I still grind after 32 years. MUCH RESPECT TO YOU JRIDGE!!!!!

coach bear

I'm a Papadeaux's guy Coach Bear! Lol  Seriously i thank you for all the kind words and i know everyone will not agree or even care for me for all that matters but i realize that a coach can be something special or a deterrent. Thanks for all your input and years of service. I have dedicated my time to coach and train on the little league football, baseball, basketball and track levels to hopefully set a good foundation for our youth. Coaching is time consuming as you know and often goes unappreciated by many but for those who lives are impacted positively through your efforts the opportunity for them to become successful in some capacity is greater.  A coach should have knowledge of all his players and a roll for them in his program. Some of your best coaches will even help his kid have a plan for life after athletics. When a kid can see successful former players return to their alma mater it helps them to know that they can be successful as well. I love sports and winning but like i said winning is for conversation and bragging for fans and resume building for coaches. That's fine, but give me a coach who can help change young people's lives for the better and a winners attitude and the other stuff will take care of its self. Thanks again!

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 5:08 AM, coach bear said:

coach bear

Good post Coach Bear. I hope some people on here were digesting those "why" reasons from the horses mouth. I never told you before, but thanks for having your guys take it easy on me in practice and letting me make it to college healthy. Really wished I would've listened to more of what you guys were trying to tell me. Freeman was #4, Clack was #7, this is #14 that went to South Dakota State y'all thought was a head case. I know I missed out on multiple offers because of it but sometime the hard way is the most tangible way to learn. Keep doing what you do coach, glad I got to be around you.  

On 5/14/2016 at 11:46 AM, ozensfinest said:

Personally I don't feel many of the coaches in SETX possess the knowledge to build a powerhouse at any of the Beaumont schools, the things they are teaching kids in setx compared to the Katy's, Allen's,  Desoto's etc of the world is rudimentary when you compare them to other places. 

Ozen, Beaumont, And most of all the student athletes would benefit from any coach that would put the entire kid first. Lately it seems like ozen has been just a stepping stone for the last few hires. Did they really care about the progression of their kids. who knows. I have always thought of coaches and community leaders. Back when I played coaches were an extension of your family. which means they generally cared about the well being of their kids. I hate to hear when coaches just leave so late in the year. this hurts the kids, the community and the school. Hopefully BISD will get it correct this time and hire someone who will honestly be there for the benefit of the kids. Winning is easy! getting Kids to Buy in is the hard part. Kids can and will always sense BS! but if a kid believes that a coach really care for them outside of athletics then they will run through a brick wall to get the job done! 

3 hours ago, Barney Fife said:

Ozen, Beaumont, And most of all the student athletes would benefit from any coach that would put the entire kid first. Lately it seems like ozen has been just a stepping stone for the last few hires. Did they really care about the progression of their kids. who knows. I have always thought of coaches and community leaders. Back when I played coaches were an extension of your family. which means they generally cared about the well being of their kids. I hate to hear when coaches just leave so late in the year. this hurts the kids, the community and the school. Hopefully BISD will get it correct this time and hire someone who will honestly be there for the benefit of the kids. Winning is easy! getting Kids to Buy in is the hard part. Kids can and will always sense BS! but if a kid believes that a coach really care for them outside of athletics then they will run through a brick wall to get the job done! 

Great post...

Just curious as to how the Ozen job has been a stepping stone for the last few head coaches. Nelson is currently the WRs coach at Central, McGee is currently the TEs coach at Spring Westfield, and Suggs will never be a head coach again. How is that using the Ozen job as a stepping stone. Using a HC job for a stepping consists of leaving and taking a better job. None of these guys did that.