Ozen Is Open?

setxguru

8 hours ago, Barney Fife said:

Just read in the enterprise that Ozen had ten additional athletes sign to play at the next level. It as says that in the last two years they have had a total of 24 to sign. This is great numbers so Im sure the athletes are there. It a shame that this program has suffered so much over the last few years.

It solidifies that something was wrong with the coaching...

22 minutes ago, Sledge hammer said:

I keep hearing Edward Taylor name in the mix... I keep hearing bring back Ozen old coaching staff...(Nelson, Paul, and Walker from Odom).. Doesn't central have a bunch of Ozen cast off? Also heard Dotson.. What does the most Pear Orchard want?

Yes, when McGee didn't want those guys, Foreman swooped in and took them.  Being I'm a Jaguar fan and around the program a little, I'd like to keep all of the current coaches.  But I'm all for someone bettering themselves or promoting by taking the Ozen job.

Paul is the head coach for Jaguar basketball and still helps out with football so I doubt he is going anywhere.  Coach Nelson used to be the head coach of the Panthers and is now the Jaguars OC.  What I was told Monday is that due to it being so late in the year to go through the proper hiring process, Arthur Louis would be stepping in for the 2016 season...

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 0:03 PM, BMTSoulja1 said:

Do a little research.  Nelson improved that program and it was on the brink of competing constantly before he was fired.  His last year, they made the playoffs, knocked off previously unbeaten Barbers Hill and made the 3rd round of the playoffs before bowing out in a physical game to then, state power LaMarque.  That says a lot compared to the way the team was pathetic before he got there...

Not to mention the same playoff run, knocked the #2 Ranked Brenham Cubs after beating Barber's Hill and before losing to LaMarque in the Monsoon.  IJS Despite the overall record, You could see progress in the kids, and the program as a whole, since then we have not seen much of either.  Great Athletes, but no one to coach them up and as an Ozen faithful it is difficult to watch.  I feel for these kids, as there seems to be a new coach every year that's no way to build a program.  I agree, BISD's coaches are underpaid and for that your best shot is at landing a good coach that has not been given a shot yet and hope that he by chance can do what others haven't.  If you land a good coach, you can't keep him because once others recognize his worth they will pay him and he will move on.  The problem is layered and there are many factors that, prevent the BISD teams from being as successful as they could be.  The bottom line is collectively there are some good teams here and there but no programs are being built here.

Just Catching up on this thread.  Coach Louis was the best coach in Ozen's History.  Each time there's an opening at Ozen his name is thrown around, but I think it's just wishful thinking.  He is definitely the guy who could do it, but he good a raw deal before and what would be required to get him, B.I.S.D. would never do.  I sure hope I'm wrong on this one. :)

Arthur Louis would DEFINITELY BE the answer at Ozen. He got a horrible raw deal before, and was a victim our quick success in basketball in 2001.  To be told that he had to make it past the quarterfinal round was very unfair to him. I hope they can talk him out of retirement for the sake of his own redemption....Great coach, and an even better person!

14 hours ago, ice74 said:

Not to mention the same playoff run, knocked the #2 Ranked Brenham Cubs after beating Barber's Hill and before losing to LaMarque in the Monsoon.  IJS Despite the overall record, You could see progress in the kids, and the program as a whole, since then we have not seen much of either.  Great Athletes, but no one to coach them up and as an Ozen faithful it is difficult to watch.  I feel for these kids, as there seems to be a new coach every year that's no way to build a program.  I agree, BISD's coaches are underpaid and for that your best shot is at landing a good coach that has not been given a shot yet and hope that he by chance can do what others haven't.  If you land a good coach, you can't keep him because once others recognize his worth they will pay him and he will move on.  The problem is layered and there are many factors that, prevent the BISD teams from being as successful as they could be.  The bottom line is collectively there are some good teams here and there but no programs are being built here.

I believe that if you hire someone from this area it's more likely that they will be here for the long haul.  JMO

On 5/13/2016 at 10:39 PM, Jag Insider said:

It solidifies that something was wrong with the coaching...

Just because you know X's & O's doesn't mean you know your personel, coaches and players strengths, game planning, game adjustments, your opponent's strengths and weaknesses, how to interact with your staff, players and community and how to manage your players and staff effectively! Also knowing how to allow your coaches to have input and having your players know that you are not just concerned with them helping you win football games but them as a person and investing in their futures. These attributes are rare and hard to find but are some of the attributes our late Alex Durley possessed and used to create quality young men who created wins! Coaches who have kids of their own will also know that kids will often make mistakes and disappoint you and will not be as quick to write a player off when pissed off. JMO

Personally I don't feel many of the coaches in SETX possess the knowledge to build a powerhouse at any of the Beaumont schools, the things they are teaching kids in setx compared to the Katy's, Allen's,  Desoto's etc of the world is rudimentary when you compare them to other places. 

4 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Hiring someone from the area has been BISD's problem...should probably try something different

No not really, Lewis and Brooks were pretty good as well as Durley and Ozen and Coach Smith and Shafer. Nelson was also learning and developing until they cut h I m short. If we can't develop coaches in our community then something is really wrong. They need to be given opportunities and time to learn and establish their programs bottom line. Too much musical chairs going on and not enough stability. Give us someone who loves the kids and our community with good character, work ethics and knowledge of how to communicate, plan, organize, motivate, strategize and be consistent with showing love and discipline. HC have to be able to teach their staff effectively and understand what they need to be teaching and then trust that they are capable of carrying it out. Not an easy task but I believe if you can find someone local with these qualities or potential then go for it because most likely they will be here for quite some time. JMO

9 minutes ago, JRidge said:

No not really, Lewis and Brooks were pretty good as well as Durley and Ozen and Coach Smith and Shafer. Nelson was also learning and developing until they cut h I m short. If we can't develop coaches in our community then something is really wrong. They need to be given opportunities and time to learn and establish their programs bottom line. Too much musical chairs going on and not enough stability. Give us someone who loves the kids and our community with good character, work ethics and knowledge of how to communicate, plan, organize, motivate, strategize and be consistent with showing love and discipline. HC have to be able to teach their staff effectively and understand what they need to be teaching and then trust that they are capable of carrying it out. Not an easy task but I believe if you can find someone local with these qualities or potential then go for it because most likely they will be here for quite some time. JMO

Good post...

4 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Personally I don't feel many of the coaches in SETX possess the knowledge to build a powerhouse at any of the Beaumont schools, the things they are teaching kids in setx compared to the Katy's, Allen's,  Desoto's etc of the world is rudimentary when you compare them to other places. 

Ozensfinest  I belive that now a days the coaches having to compete with Playstation and Xbox has become a problem as well as kids or parents unwillingness to invest in their kids future through training and camps. Often parents are unwilling to push or motivate their kids to workout. The kids who parents do usually progress more or at least faster. My kids benefit from me as a parent and a skills trainer so they are use to working hard and it shows. People have goes sometimes but don't know how to reach them especially without some type of support.

2 hours ago, JRidge said:

Ozensfinest  I belive that now a days the coaches having to compete with Playstation and Xbox has become a problem as well as kids or parents unwillingness to invest in their kids future through training and camps. Often parents are unwilling to push or motivate their kids to workout. The kids who parents do usually progress more or at least faster. My kids benefit from me as a parent and a skills trainer so they are use to working hard and it shows. People have goes sometimes but don't know how to reach them especially without some type of support.

You're missing my point...point is I'm not sure any coach in the area has what it takes to bring a state title to Beaumont because the things they are teaching are so outdated. Hiring any of these coaches around the area will continue to bring in mediocre results i.e first and second round playoff exits. Go get a coach that knows something else besides the cliche SETX way of doing things. 

3 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

You're missing my point...point is I'm not sure any coach in the area has what it takes to bring a state title to Beaumont because the things they are teaching are so outdated. Hiring any of these coaches around the area will continue to bring in mediocre results i.e first and second round playoff exits. Go get a coach that knows something else besides the cliche SETX way of doing things. 

High school sports is about a hell of a lot more than winning a state title. 

4 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

How about you throw your name in for the coaching job at Ozen and show us ALL how its supposed to be done...