Useless Rants

UTfanatic

4 hours ago, bulldogbacker said:

Another

Merging traffic has to yield.

Perhaps. It is according to where you are merging from. Let's say there is a three lane highway in one direction like IH-10 going to Houston. The car in the left lane that is merging into the lane to his right (middle lane), he has the right of way over another vehicle that is merging into the same lane from the left. 

....  just to be difficult. :)

Oh, another one:   Do you have a turn signal?  Do you know how to use it?

I'd guess, maybe 20% of drivers use turn signals correctly most of the time.  Taking a lot of 2 lane roads to the other small towns, one of my favorites is the person in front of me, traveling 5-10 mph under the limit.  I'm close to pass when able and then he/she hits brake and just before the road or drive turns on the turn signal.  I could only compare it to my disbelief of politicians actions lol

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

Perhaps. It is according to where you are merging from. Let's say there is a three lane highway in one direction like IH-10 going to Houston. The car in the left lane that is merging into the lane to his right (middle lane), he has the right of way over another vehicle that is merging into the same lane from the left. 

I'll admit to my ignorance of this (wasn't any 3 lanes around when I studied driving).  Be curious to know how many drivers do know this.

5 minutes ago, REBgp said:

I'll admit to my ignorance of this (wasn't any 3 lanes around when I studied driving).  Be curious to know how many drivers do know this.

How many? I would venture to say very few. 

I would go as far as saying that the general public's knowledge of laws (even fairly common ones) it as times dismal.  It is when you "think" you know a law that tends to get you in trouble. What is the old saying, a little knowledge is dangerous? 

I had a guy call me in the office this week asking about something on self defense and he mentioned that he was sometimes open carrying and told me how. I told him that what he had just told me was in fact a crime and not legal carry if he was seen doing it. The guy told me that he had a CHL and knew that TX just passed open carry and he had been told that it didn't matter how he carried openly. Ooops! He has not been to the update but was correct that the old CHL license did automatically go to an open carry license also but only if the handgun was in a belt or shoulder holster. So much for that little bit of knowledge...........  I have repeatedly heard at gun counters at local sporting goods stores that you can carry a handgun in your vehicle with or without a license but it has to be visible. That is exactly the opposite of the law and a handgun has to be concealed. I could go on but an sure you get the picture. 

elderly drivers who have no idea what's going on around them going 45mph in a 70 mph zone.  I've had them pull right out in front of me, and turn across right in front of me as well.  I've also been stuck behind them for miles upon miles, with no hope of passing due to the other dozen cars stuck behind them.  I know it's tough for them to give up their independence, but many of them are as dangerous as 16-year-olds with a brand new license.  I'd like to see mandatory driving tests for the elderly every few years starting at the age of 75.

16 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I was referring to on-ramps

19 hours ago, bullets13 said:

elderly drivers who have no idea what's going on around them going 45mph in a 70 mph zone.  I've had them pull right out in front of me, and turn across right in front of me as well.  I've also been stuck behind them for miles upon miles, with no hope of passing due to the other dozen cars stuck behind them.  I know it's tough for them to give up their independence, but many of them are as dangerous as 16-year-olds with a brand new license.  I'd like to see mandatory driving tests for the elderly every few years starting at the age of 75.

I'll like it for 5 more years lol.   But I get it.  I saw a 90 year old on news last week who seemed to get around better than me.  All of us age differently, physically and mentally.  At some point there should be a periodic test.  

And people that pull out in front of me - even if I have to slow a little, but they speed up & get on down the road, I can live with it.  But them turds that do it & then go slow irritate me to no end. 

52 minutes ago, baddog said:

Yes, but it's what a lot of them think....."I had my blinker on!"

In Houston, they signal after they cut you off, or not at all.

Yea,

not that I suffer from road rage syndrome, but 75% of the drivers I meet, are lucky I don't drive a tank, or even a dually truck.