Guest ECBucFan

What a joke. Some Katy assistants help out with 7 year olds, and the HS team gets booted. Pathetic. The Katy varsity team did not gain any advantage at all.

Why doesn't the UIL bust down on some of the high dollar recruitment that goes on in basketball ("communications program" LOL) year in and year out?     

Adam Coleman@_ColemanSports

This is the hidden content, please

This is the hidden content, please
paid players $50 and hr. Players said earlier they made about $1500. Spent some money but ended up returning whole amount

As far as I know it wasn't the Assistants.  It was players. 
They have to draw a line and when its as clear as this it will be noticed.

Though I will agree it smells fishy as to how it was even discovered. 

1 hour ago, ECBucFan said:

What a joke. Some Katy assistants help out with 7 year olds, and the HS team gets booted. Pathetic. The Katy varsity team did not gain any advantage at all.

Why doesn't the UIL bust down on some of the high dollar recruitment that goes on in basketball ("communications program" LOL) year in and year out?     

Players were paid to coach. No assistants involved

I still don't get the whole money thing.... I don't understand the reasoning. What about kids getting a job? Umpire? They were hired to help monitor/coach a small baseball team.... And they didn't even help coach! They kept books, help put on equipment and collected baseballs.... This is extremely petty! I smell a rat!

Guest ECBucFan
29 minutes ago, rhino1877 said:

This is extremely petty! I smell a rat!

Could be. I think they were likely set up, too. I know there is a lot of resentment towards Katy, for a number of different reasons. Some I can understand and a lot is complete, total, petty BS.

I agree in the grand scheme of thinks, its really small. I think they were likely set up, too.     

11 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

I've seen local kids umpiring at Ford Park.  Does this count?

They can work.

The problem here it seems is they were being paid to do nothing. That is exactly why the rule is in place. 

The UIL and the NCAA do not prevent someone from supporting themselves.  They try to prevent instances where student-athletes are paid to do nothing.

Players at UH work the university's summer baseball camps. They get paid by the University.  Does it also ensure they are working out, etc..? Sure it does.  

What justifies doing nothing? As a former consultant, I know a lot about doing nothing and getting a paycheck.

If the kids showed up, that's working. Available to perform an action = also working.

There are a lot of grey clouds hovering over this discipline. I call BS.

The rule itself is erroneous regardless and needs revision.

1 hour ago, RayJr said:

What justifies doing nothing? As a former consultant, I know a lot about doing nothing and getting a paycheck.

If the kids showed up, that's working. Available to perform an action = also working.

There are a lot of grey clouds hovering over this discipline. I call BS.

The rule itself is erroneous regardless and needs revision.

Parsing words is exactly why some schools/players run afoul of the law and some do not.

If you show up to a Little League game and tie shoes and hold a clipboard, you are not working. Heck, like most dads I "coached" LL for many years and never got paid a dime. It's called volunteering. 

If a parent offers to pay you for hitting/pitching lessons, that's work. 

This is copied from another board.   It sums up the UIL pretty well.

This...

Quote:

"We feel like it's a pretty open and clear rule and feel like it was unfortunate that these folks didn't fully understand it," said Mike Motheral, chair of the state committee.

...doesn't jibe with this...

Quote:

The rule, to go in effect in August, will be clarified for next school year and beyond. The Standing Committee on Athletics recommended to the Legislative Council that the edits would not only clarify the current amateur athletic rule, but they would ease restrictions on athletes being able to receive reasonable fees for coaching, teaching or officiating in league sponsored sports.

So an "open and clear" rule needs to be clarified. In addition, they are going to ease restrictions on athletes being paid fees.

Quote:

Even though the rule is changing, Motheral said it had nothing to do with Jackman and Baker's current situation.

Baghdad Bob, is that you? These kids got ****ed.

The following was shared on Facebook by one of the boy's parents:

Here is our family's story on the Katy Baseball Ruling: The KatyISD UIL district committee (6 district principals plus Strake Jesuit's principal) voted that Grant Jackman and Hayden Baker had violated the amateur rule of UIL section 441. Our baseball team will now have to forfeit 20 wins as punishment for when the time they first accepted payment for a job. And this ruling will keep the team out of the playoffs because our district wins are now losses and not enough to be in the top 4. Our families are devastated at this outcome because in no way we believe the boys broke the rule. We have appealed to the UIL state executive committee.

We love our Katy Baseball team like our family and Grant and Hayden love their teammates like brothers. And never would we have done anything to jeopardize our own son's senior season as well as hurting the whole team's seasons.

I would like to get our side of the story out because the news reports are not doing that. Grant and Hayden were "helping" a church friend's 7-8 year old little league team and our friend (his kids zoned to Seven Lakes) wanted to bless two college bound boys (knowing it's too hard to have regular jobs playing school sports and knowing the boys are dual sport athletes) and pay them for their time with his team as a part time job doing the "grunt work" at practices for the 3 (dad) coaches, keeping the scorebook at the games, being the bat boys, helping the catcher get his gear on and off, patting kids on the head when they came back crying because they struck out and telling them "you'll get it next time", giving high fives when they scored a run, keeping the dugout in order so kids wouldn't get hurt. Grant would also help warm up the pitcher who was the coach and then mostly sit on a bucket. They were HELPERS... Extra hands and feet! Glorified babysitters if you want to call it that. Grant and Hayden spent their younger years at Katy American as little leaguers and were enjoying spending their time out there mentoring those little guys. They were not paid to teach the players. The coach has played 4 years of college baseball and doesn't need Grant's and Hayden's knowledge to instruct his team. It's mind boggling how this committee viewed that as "teaching" which is what the rule says they can't do. They knew they couldn't get paid for lessons but that's not what they were doing. They were getting paid to help with other things with the team... NOT teach the players.

Besides that, the rule itself isn't clear. It says you can't get valuable considerations for participating or teaching in a League sponsored school sport. League is defined in their constitution as Universal Interscholastic League. Both Robert and I believe that was for sports for grades 7th-12th in school and out of school. But the UIL interprets this rule as the whole sport of Baseball. Never would we allow Grant to take money for a job if we thought it jeopardizes his eligibility at school. If the team had been a 7th grade team we would have said absolutely NO to getting paid because they are governed by UIL and that would be a UIL sport. We wouldn't have chanced that even if they were not teaching/coaching. We've seen this rule for many years and always saw it this way... As it reads. In August 2016 this very rule that they say these boys violated is being edited to clarify that they CAN make money teaching their sport and officiating too. They are editing it because they see it as "not restricting things that don't really matter" (UIL's own words). Go figure!

Our hearts are broken for Katy Baseball, the Katy coaches and all the families that have been hurt by this because in no way should they be punished for our mistake. We are so sorry! Punish Grant and Hayden if they must but not our team. This punishment is extreme for this infraction. For everyone who thinks this is an NCAA rule, it's not. NCAA does allow athletes to make money teaching in their sport.
We stand by Grant and Hayden and we will fight this ruling as far as we can. THANK YOU to all of you that have supported us and have been tirelessly defending the boys and believe they did nothing wrong. Feel free to share our story and if you have any questions feel free to ask. - Robert & Cheryl Jackman

Guest ECBucFan

Sad situation. I feel bad for the Katy players, parents, and program. At MOST the two players could have been suspended, but no, the whole Katy BB program just got the death penalty for the season. No competitive advantage was ever gained by the team.

Pretty easy to see there are some petty vendettas out there that persists against Katy.

Were they set up?  I sure hope not, but that little green envy monster can make people do some strange things.

As for the interpretation of the rules, way out of my league.  Best as I can tell, it relies on whether the kids were coaching or not.  I understand the desire to retain amateur status, but with all the select teams there are now, with corporate sponsors, it might be time to revise the UIL rules.