Jaylan Ballou verbally commits

30 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

Jaylen Fisher decommitted but Ballou was already going to UNLV after Menzies was hired as coach. Menzies was interested in Ballou already.

Correction...Menzie recruited Jaylan for NM St...so for him to want him in a completely different program at UNLV...speaks volumes of Jaylan 

39 minutes ago, Gee Davis said:

Correction...Menzie recruited Jaylan for NM St...so for him to want him in a completely different program at UNLV...speaks volumes of Jaylan 

Yep, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. Menzies wanted Ballou BEFORE he took the job at UNLV, while he was still the coach at New Mexico State. Great opportunity for this young man. Hard work & dedication does pay off.

Confirmation of what it is...Congratulations to him and his family...GREAT STORY! :

Former Nederland HS star Jaylan Ballou (who played with Basketball University 16u last summer) moved to California for his senior season, and really opened a few eyeballs (17ppg 9apg) at Sante Fe HS.  Among the college coaches who expressed initial interested was Marvin Menzies (who was HC at New Mexico State).  Well, fast forward to April 2016 - Menzies accepted the HC gig at UNLV.  That doesn't change his vision nor did that have any effect on the players whom he liked.  So, once a Memphis based pg decided he would reverse his decison to attend UNLV, it became a blessing in disguise for Ballou.  That scholarship spot was offered to Ballou and without hesitating, he accepted it.  That is such an awesome story and it once again proves that rankings don't mean diddly squat.  If you produce and win on a consistent level, in today's society, somebody will take notice. 

Maybe more players from Greater Houston should move the heck away and take a leap of faith akin to Ballou.  Meanwhile, I am a firm believer that some players actually improve from one point to another.  In this case, everyone should yeild benefit of doubt and at least settle on the thought that Ballou is obvoiusly much improved from 10 months ago.  It happens and when it does - it's a great thing!

6 minutes ago, Gee Davis said:

So he wasn't a walk on...but that wasn't what I...the origanator of this post stated...well I'm glad everybody did all their research and now KNOW he isn't a walk on...smh

But Gee, I don't think you understand that being a "preferred" walk on is not a bad deal at all...Sometimes, like I said, coaches HAVE to do this because in certain situations the scholarships are just not there...Its all good, though. Glad Jaylon is getting HIS paid for! Good deal!

4 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

But Gee, I don't think you understand that being a "preferred" walk on is not a bad deal at all...Sometimes, like I said, coaches HAVE to do this because in certain situations the scholarships are just not there...Its all good, though. Glad Jaylon is getting HIS paid for! Good deal!

I wasn't directing this at u or any one person in particular...my point is...had he been a walk on...I would have said so...this was posted to inform everyone of his achievement...he played ball in SETX and now is in Cali...the sad part is people try to pick apart things as if they have the facts...I didn't pull this out a hat

On May 5, 2016 at 10:52 AM, BLUEDOVE3 said:

I just realized Nederland will have two former players playing D1 basketball. And you have one who is going to a top basketball program. Nederland is moving up.

Careful, you have a reputation to uphold. Someone may consider that a compliment. ;-)